An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants, Unite!

mulls

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]We love the Lord our God with all our hearts, and all our minds, and all our souls, and all our strength, and as a result, we love our neighbor as ourselves.[/quote]

Ahhh yes we do love Our One True God with all our hearts, and all our minds, and all our souls, and all our strength.

To love is it just a result or is it a commandment

[quote][b]John 15:12-14

"This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. Your are my friends IF you do what I command you."[/b][/quote]

Big IF added by me.

Pax
Jason

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]Not "Faith + Works = Justification"[/quote]

Are you saying Faith does not need works?

I hope not. Of course, works that don't come from our love for the Lord and are apart from our faith are hollow.

[quote]To love is it just a result or is it a commandment[/quote] It is a commandment - a commandment to which we are only granted obedience, through Faith.

[quote]Big IF added by me.[/quote] I agree. I'm not saying anything contrary to what you did - I'm merely saying that the works aren't added as anything from 'outside' the saving Faith, but proceed from that Faith as the natural fruit thereof.

the lumberjack

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='May 27 2004, 07:56 AM'] Buddy, you need to learn a bit more about your faith and how to express the truths of the faith a little more eloquently. We aren't saved by 'salvation by works' - we're saved by faith [b]working[/b] in love (Galatians 5:6) and sustained by hope (Hebrews 11:1). It's all one big continuum. The works aren't added from outside, they proceed forth from the Faith. We love the Lord our God with all our hearts, and all our minds, and all our souls, and all our strength, and [b]as a result[/b], we love our neighbor as ourselves. It is THIS faith - a living faith, a faith that works, that saves. Not "Faith + Works = Justification" [/quote]
Amen!

You basically just agreed to the teaching of the Catholic Church, LJ. :D At least, how *I* understand what she teaches. :D Notice I never denied that the works of faith in had some part to play in our salvation, I just emphatically affirmed that all of them came from God's grace in us, not from us properly. :lol:

Edited by ICTHUS

the lumberjack

okay...so what are you saying?

that I SHOULDN'T agree with you?

too bad pal...I do. <_<

get over it already. :o

:lol:

God bless.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='May 27 2004, 02:42 PM'] *envisions Lumberjack sticking his big toe in the Tiber River* [/quote]
oh my! :sweat:

[quote name='littleflower' date='JMJ+May 27 2004, 02:43 PM'] oh my! :sweat: [/quote]
[i]Lions and Tigers and Bears[/i], Oh My?

A thought: if only one man (Luther) thought the things he did, where did all these Protestants come from? Other people must have agreed with him.

this was supposed to be a FUNNY thread!

now stop arguing and LAUGH darnit!!

*throws gramma's homemade apple pie into lumberjack's face*

HAHA!