An Old School Catholic Message Board

"praying To" Mary And The Saints

Katholikos

I rarely talk to anyone but God when there are problems, and if I asked them to pray for me, I'd want it because of love, not because they are a particularly good prayer.

[quote name='Dusty Fro' date='May 28 2004, 07:25 PM'] I rarely talk to anyone but God when there are problems, and if I asked them to pray for me, I'd want it because of love, not because they are a particularly good prayer. [/quote]
Dusty Fro,
But Paul and the Apostles constantly tell us to pray for one another. God Himself tells us to pray for each other because that is what He wants. Read the end of Job. After God was satisified with Job's demonstration of faithfullness, He told jobs friends to offer sacrifice and pray for Job and God would not punish them because He was going to tell Job to pray for his friends. Why did God want to accept Job's prayers on their behalf instead of hearing just from them? It doesn't seem right, does it? Part of the lesson is that God rewards the righteous by valuing their prayers and sacrifice more. (Now consider Jesus' sacrifice and prayers). Part of the lesson is that we don't have to just rely on our own righteousness, but we are family and do for each other (Now consider Jesus' sacrifice and prayers).

Jesus' sacrifice on out behalf wasn't a new concept. It is an old concept that was done in a new and perfect way when done by God Himslef for our behalf.