An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help! Need Resources On Cloistered Life For Parents

whitneyelizabeth

MarysLittleFlower

Do you think it'd be helpful to put a green scapular in the room of very obstinate parents? My parents are more opposed than ever. 

hmm I would try :)

• 1 month later...
FutureSister2009

So part of why I ended up not going to Michigan is because I have opened myself up to cloistered life. My mom thinks its a waste and that its prison. I say she doesn't want me to be happy and she says that I don't know that I will be. But I won't know unless she lets me try. It's breaking my heart. But it is extra hard since I am an only child

So part of why I ended up not going to Michigan is because I have opened myself up to cloistered life. My mom thinks its a waste and that its prison. I say she doesn't want me to be happy and she says that I don't know that I will be. But I won't know unless she lets me try. It's breaking my heart. But it is extra hard since I am an only child

Why do you say that your mother doesn't want you to be happy? She's honestly afraid that you won't be happy. It's natural for people to be wary and uncertain of something that they don't know much about. It doesn't mean that they want to spoil things for you. Accepting your mother's feelings may make it easier for her to understand yours.

Also, nothing is certain at this stage. Try to explain this to your mother. Going to visit a monastery does not mean you have to join next week and take final vows the following Sunday. It's a process and there will be plenty of time for your family to learn more about it if God is leading you there. You will need to learn more about it yourself. So your mum needn't be so worried.

Pax_et bonum

Aw, I'm sorry. I know that's hard.  :console: Talking about it and pointing her to resources for learning about the cloister can help but only if she will listen and be open; she might not be ready for that yet. Just keep loving her and praying for her. You are an adult and don't need your mom's permission for anything, but it's hard if you're still dependent on her. Plus you don't want to do anything to hurt your relationship. Don't be afraid of discerning cloistered life because of you mom even if you don't see how you'd be able to visit a cloistered community. She'll either come around at some point if that's where God's calling you or if you discern you aren't called to the cloister, she'll be so happy about that she won't have any objections to whatever active community you'd want to discern with ;) You could also try looking for non-cloistered contemplative communities.