An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Retreats...halp!

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Okay, so I have a little over 2 months til I head out to Ann Arbor for my first ever discernment retreat. ( :dance: :woot: :yahoo: ) This is with the DSMME (of course), so advice from anyone who has gone would totally rock, but advice from anyone who has ever gone to a discernment retreat hosted by ANY order would be welcome.

I haz questions. I know to pack modest stuff - I never wear p.ants, I am super picky about the necklines of my shirts and the hems of my skirts, etc, so it modesty won't be an issue - but...

• How much stuff do I pack? (I.E. For how many days, for what activities, etc.)
  • When do we get time to shower?
  • Should I bring stuff like a Bible, a journal, etc?
  • Are there any items that will be provided at the retreat?
  • Pack pajamas? (I know that we will be getting up at weird hours of the night to go to adoration; is it worth my time to get up, get dressed, go to adoration, come back, get back into my pajamas, and then go back to sleep?)
  • What kind of shoes?

I'm kind of obsessing. I know. I'm just nervous.

dominicansoul

take two outfits and pajamas.  I think they have showers at the school, but I might be wrong about that.  Since its only a 24 hour retreat, I don't think you need to worry about showering, take one when before you go.

Bible and journal, sure if you will be reading and writing while meditating during the Adoration time...

dominicansoul

as far as shoes, take what's comfortable for you.   I can assure you lots of girls will be there in jeans and tenny shoes :)

DiscerningCatholic

take two outfits and pajamas.  I think they have showers at the school, but I might be wrong about that.  Since its only a 24 hour retreat, I don't think you need to worry about showering, take one when before you go.

Bible and journal, sure if you will be reading and writing while meditating during the Adoration time...

I'm gonna be there from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. I'm gonna need a shower.

dominicansoul

sponge bath? :topsy:

Its been awhile since I went to that retreat.  things were so different back then.  I stayed from thursday to monday.  i stayed in a cabin in the woods.  so....i'm not sure how the shower situation is now...

i remember there was a shower in the school somewhere, but one shower for over a hundred women doesn't sound very practical.. lol

Pax_et bonum

You don't need much. Since you're arriving Friday, you might get to shower that evening/Saturday morning, but there's too many girls for the sisters to offer showers Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

There will be some kind of recreation, so you might want clothes you can run around in. Just wear whatever's comfortable; some girls wear jeans, others wear skirts. You might want to pack shoes you're comfortable running around in.

You'll want to bring a breviary if you have one because the sisters don't lend you one and whatever you want for private prayer time: journal, Bible, spiritual reading, Rosary, etc.

Yes to pjs. You can wear them to Adoration--most do I think. I happened to have the hour (assigned by room) before we were supposed to be up and ready Sunday morning, so I did change into my clothes. I wore nice Mass clothes on Sunday, and I think I changed after we got back from Mass at the motherhouse.

I don't think the sisters really provide anything besides food or stuff for an activity. So you need to bring stuff like a sleeping bag and pillow. Is that what you mean? And you'll probably need to bring a small gift wrapped in newspaper for a game.

The sisters will probably send you an email closer to the retreat date with stuff you need.

DiscerningCatholic

<_< 

Every time I've introduced myself to sisters, I've made a fool out of myself. I reeeeeeally don't want to do that when I go visit them instead of the other way around. :|

maximillion

You won't be the only one who says or does off the wall things - the Sisters will be used to that and will either laugh it off or pretend not to notice.