An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Retreats...halp!

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

I'm just super awkward around sisters. I dunno why. I guess it's probably a #discernmentproblem.

<_<

Every time I've introduced myself to sisters, I've made a fool out of myself. I reeeeeeally don't want to do that when I go visit them instead of the other way around. :|

Ya know, when I went on retreat with the Nashville Dominicans I had never met a habited Sister and especially not young ones around my age so when I was greeted by two young Sisters at the airport I was definitely feeling more than a bit awkward.  But in my weak defense, I'm usually shy when I meet new people anyway.  It takes me awhile to warm up to them.

I think you'll be fine   :proud:

DiscerningCatholic

I usually just say something dumb or what I'm trying to say doesn't sound right. I can be a bit shy when I meet new people, but me meeting sisters is like a Broadway star wannabe meeting a Broadway star. :|

How can you go on a discernment retreat in only a weekend?

That sounds more like a weekend get away. If you are worried about shower and stuff, read up on desert monks. How often do you think they bathed?

You should consider a private retreat in a hermitage. The guest mistress or prioress will help you decide what to bring.

And most will not tell you much because they want you to know on your own.
I don't know where you live, but Trappistine Sisters are my favorite.

A good nun will be fully aware of your anxieties and comfort you, but she will also want to see what you can decide on your own.

Remember, monks are busy in their spiritual practices, they are not like normal everyday people.

Do not feel offended if they seem distant from your social needs. 

Practice your Salve Regina +

DiscerningCatholic

How can you go on a discernment retreat in only a weekend?

That sounds more like a weekend get away. If you are worried about shower and stuff, read up on desert monks. How often do you think they bathed?

You should consider a private retreat in a hermitage. The guest mistress or prioress will help you decide what to bring.

And most will not tell you much because they want you to know on your own.
I don't know where you live, but Trappistine Sisters are my favorite.

A good nun will be fully aware of your anxieties and comfort you, but she will also want to see what you can decide on your own.

Remember, monks are busy in their spiritual practices, they are not like normal everyday people.

Do not feel offended if they seem distant from your social needs. 

Practice your Salve Regina +

I've been singing the Salve Regina since I was six. No worries there. 

I'm going to this particular discernment retreat because I'm discerning with this particular order. 

And I'm all cool with desert monks, but I'd rather not look like one among other people, at Mass, or while traipsing through an airport. 

Mary's Child

Just my 2 cents worth but I'd bring a flashlight :) . I've been on like 6 Come and See's 4 involved power outages :EEK: . My sisters tease me about that though so far no power outages with them. :hehe:

Speaking of embarassing yourself I told the Bishop I lived South of them when its North yeah I wanted to sink into the floor oh well.

Catholicterp7

Okay, so I have a little over 2 months til I head out to Ann Arbor for my first ever discernment retreat. ( :dance: :woot: :yahoo: ) This is with the DSMME (of course), so advice from anyone who has gone would totally rock, but advice from anyone who has ever gone to a discernment retreat hosted by ANY order would be welcome.

I haz questions. I know to pack modest stuff - I never wear p.ants, I am super picky about the necklines of my shirts and the hems of my skirts, etc, so it modesty won't be an issue - but...

• How much stuff do I pack? (I.E. For how many days, for what activities, etc.)
  • When do we get time to shower?
  • Should I bring stuff like a Bible, a journal, etc?
  • Are there any items that will be provided at the retreat?
  • Pack pajamas? (I know that we will be getting up at weird hours of the night to go to adoration; is it worth my time to get up, get dressed, go to adoration, come back, get back into my pajamas, and then go back to sleep?)
  • What kind of shoes?

I'm kind of obsessing. I know. I'm just nervous.

From my memory, if you're flying in on Friday you can shower Friday night or Saturday morning, you should pack for sports if you play any, yes bring a Bible, journal and anything else you want for personal prayer, it's up to you about Pajamas, I personally just went in my PJs but I understand some people aren't comfortable doing that. If you would prefer it would be most sensible to take a skirt you can pull on easily so it doesn't take up a bunch of time getting ready for Adoration/back to sleep afterward. I personally stayed up all night on two of the three retreats so that's also an option. :P

You really shouldn't be worried about it. They'll send you an email about a month or so before the retreat with everything you need to know. Just CHILL!!!!!! And have a ton of fun! 

Lil'Monster

You don't need much. Since you're arriving Friday, you might get to shower that evening/Saturday morning, but there's too many girls for the sisters to offer showers Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

There will be some kind of recreation, so you might want clothes you can run around in. Just wear whatever's comfortable; some girls wear jeans, others wear skirts. You might want to pack shoes you're comfortable running around in.

You'll want to bring a breviary if you have one because the sisters don't lend you one and whatever you want for private prayer time: journal, Bible, spiritual reading, Rosary, etc.

Yes to pjs. You can wear them to Adoration--most do I think. I happened to have the hour (assigned by room) before we were supposed to be up and ready Sunday morning, so I did change into my clothes. I wore nice Mass clothes on Sunday, and I think I changed after we got back from Mass at the motherhouse.

I don't think the sisters really provide anything besides food or stuff for an activity. So you need to bring stuff like a sleeping bag and pillow. Is that what you mean? And you'll probably need to bring a small gift wrapped in newspaper for a game.

The sisters will probably send you an email closer to the retreat date with stuff you need.

This ^

Lil'Monster

<_<

Every time I've introduced myself to sisters, I've made a fool out of myself. I reeeeeeally don't want to do that when I go visit them instead of the other way around. :|

Don't worry about that!!! I always make a fool out of myself!!! That is why Sr. Mary Rita says I am goofy!!!

Well I know a girl who was at the March this past January was on her way to the bathroom when she saw a Dsmme and she ran up to her and yelled "Are you a Dsmme?" The Sister looked surprised and said "Yes" then the girl "Oh my goodness! I love you Sisters"..blah blah blah All of that and then the girl said "Now I am gonna die" The Sister said "Yes but not right now" Then the Sister gave her a hug and the girl probably didn't need to go to the bathroom after that.

I think the Sisters will understand if you act like a fool around them because many of them were probably like that as well.

You will be fine!!!

Believe me..you should refrain from using words around the sisters like "cool" "awesome" etc. speak when spoken to. my come and see was with sisters who were a little older in age than what you will be around. so I'm sure you won't have to police yourself to much. I had a cell that had its own bathroom. So no worries about sharing the bathroom with others! I actually stayed in a wonderful convent for my weekend. I brought my bible..but never used it, they just had us use the ones that were in our room.i brought a pair of really ice modest jeans to wear on the airplane back I wore slacks and blouses slip on shoes and sweaters...Gloves and a hat.
(we did have snow)you can write then a note a ask,,good luck and have fun!!

DiscerningCatholic

nah, just go give sr ja a big hug and ask for admission papers

My dad actually told me to do that. He wasn't being sarcastic. He said, "It'll be good to know what you need to do if you enter." Seeing as I've not even graduated high school yet, that will be VERY awkward. :|

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Believe me..you should refrain from using words around the sisters like "cool" "amesome" etc. speak when spoken to. my come and see was with sisters who were a little older in age than what you will be around. so I'm sure you won't have to police yourself to much. I had a cell that had its own bathroom. So no worries about sharing the bathroom with others! I actually stayed in a wonderful convent for my weekend. I brought my bible..but never used it, they just had us use the ones that were in our room.i brought a pair of really ice modest jeans to wear on the airplane back I wore slacks and blouses slip on shoes and sweaters...Gloves and a hat.
(we did have snow)you can write then a note a ask,,good luck and have fun!!

I doubt the sisters will be quite like that... :P I recall Sr. Mary Magdalene using the words "cool" and "awe.some" a few times in conversation. :) I never wear p.ants; the last time I wore them was at Covecrest when I HAD to wear them on the high ropes course. I hate wearing p.ants. I can do basically everything (except for high ropes courses) in a skirt. :)