An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Dolan And Vp Biden

HisChildForever

thessalonian

Really, I am under no obligation to anyone but myself. However, I choose to be decent, to be kind, to love.  I don't need a god to tell me to do that.  If the only reason you are a good person is because your god tells you, then I contend that it is I who is moral because I don't need incentives.

He does  tell you. He implanted his laws on all men's hearts.  Even you the atheist has them right there.  YOu just don't acknowledge him.  Very sad indeed.  So then you go to the logical leap, false logic of well because "your a Christian you need God to tell you and that is your sole motivation".

You spoke of obligation and the meaning of being a human being.  Forgive me for taking that to mean there was something outside yourself, a common decency, above us such that our rights are not just what some like minded group decides to give us or take away from us and morality is completely subjective.  If there is nothing above us there really is no obligation and how do you know that hitler and stalin weren't doing what they thought was right and were compelled to do by some evolutionary process that made them who they are?  I saw an interesting piece on public tv once about how they bread agressiveness in to black foxes and docility in to others.  Over time  they got angry foxes and docile foxes simply by picking the most angry and docile out of the litters.  So what makes the angry ones worse foxes?

Edited by thessalonian