An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Be Alone

brianthephysicist

Still would rather have a real date than just playing inside my own head, but I am slowly learning to enjoy what I have instead. :)

Still would rather have a real date than just playing inside my own head, but I am slowly learning to enjoy what I have instead. :)

Agreed. Being alone can be beautiful and fulfilling, but not in the same was as being in relationship and community with another. It is important to savor those alone moments though, because spending time in the company of yourself is a great way to get to know yourself and also to realize you are never alone because God is always there as well, so you are spending time with Him too. :)

Agreed. Being alone can be beautiful and fulfilling, but not in the same was as being in relationship and community with another. It is important to savor those alone moments though, because spending time in the company of yourself is a great way to get to know yourself and also to realize you are never alone because God is always there as well, so you are spending time with Him too. :)

Oh yes, I have been aware of this for a long time, but it turns out it's actually darn challenging to live, especially if you've been told otherwise for a very long time.

And thinking back on the poem/song thing, she mentions practicing your art. Well I do plenty of that, and it really does make the inside of my own head a lot more hospitable. :) And produces good fruit for other people too, which I share on my website and such.

I was going to send this to you tonight. Glad to see you found it and loved it anyway.

I am profoundly challenged by it. Which is probably a good thing.

I love this video. Being single is something I've struggled with, I sometimes feel like a failure because I'm not married yet. You see in the LDS church the most important thing you'll ever do is get married in the temple, seriously your exaltation depends on it, you can't get to the highest level of Heaven unless you are sealed to someone. Most mormons get married very young, I am the only one of my high school friends who is not married, most of them have at least 2 children by now. Even as an ex-mormon I still sometimes feel inadequte and like I'm failing at life, especially when I run into old friends and people I used to go to church with and some of the first words out of their mouth is "aren't you married yet?" I'm slowly starting to feel more at peace with myself and my life but it's a long process.

I love this video. Being single is something I've struggled with, I sometimes feel like a failure because I'm not married yet. You see in the LDS church the most important thing you'll ever do is get married in the temple, seriously your exaltation depends on it, you can't get to the highest level of Heaven unless you are sealed to someone. Most mormons get married very young, I am the only one of my high school friends who is not married, most of them have at least 2 children by now. Even as an ex-mormon I still sometimes feel inadequte and like I'm failing at life, especially when I run into old friends and people I used to go to church with and some of the first words out of their mouth is "aren't you married yet?" I'm slowly starting to feel more at peace with myself and my life but it's a long process.

:console: Oh that sounds tough.

I get a little of that when I am around some of the guys who I went to seminary with who seem so "put together" and have all the milestone stuff like their little white collars, or a nice job and car, or a wife (if they left like I did) or so on. But I am me, and I am different.

Thank you, overall I'm happy with my life so it's not all gloom and doom. Sometimes though my old mormon attitudes rear their ugly heads  and surprise me. I can say that as crazy, terrifying, heartbreaking, and bewildering as it's been trying to figure out who I am outside the LDS church, I wouldn't change it and go back to being a good little mormon girl for anything.

I would like to drop one thing on this thread though. And that is, the poet isn't good at making a few important, very important, distinctions.

There is an awful big difference between being lonely, which is a real problem, and being OK with solitude. Not quite sure how to elaborate that though, I'd need to think about it. I like the idea she has, but I wish she was a little more careful.