An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Be Alone

brianthephysicist

the church today is a church of lonely consumers...even choosing a spouse is like a consumer choice, hence the popularity of dating sites and what not...it's all about finding your niche, like any good marketing scheme.

Interesting observation.

I'm glad some of you liked it, but the more I think about it, less comfortable I am with parts of that video.

I agree that too many of us aren't comfortable when alone, and that there is a huge bias in our socieity against choosing to be solitary or make time and space for 'alone time' or 'solitude'...

That's sad, in my opinion, because finding a proper place for silence and incorporating silence into our lives, and being comfortable BEING alone is really important.   And it is equally important for people who live alone, for those who live with a spouse or roomate(s), and for those who spend their entire waking life in a herd of people.  Learning to be comfortable being alone is a vital skill.

On the other side, for people whose natural bent is to be more introverted, learning to incorporate being in relationships and in groups is an important value as well.   But many people will tell you that for introverts, being in a big group can be the most lonely place there is...and NOT a good kind of 'lonely'.  Heaven knows I am one of THOSE people.

Bottom line... I think there is a huge difference between becoming comfortable in silence and solitude, and embracing 'lonely'.   I'm not sure that is such a good thing.

Does anyone else have a similar reaction?  Or do you see this differently?

Edited by AnneLine

missionseeker

When I was single, the absolute worst line in the world to hear was a variation of "why don't you have a boyfriend?"

My favorite one is if I'm a lesbian...

I think next time I get asked a variation of it, I will just respond "Because my life is completely screwed up, I'm a pain to be around and not even my mother loves me" just for the shock value. To make them shut up. Of course, with an answer like that, they may actually believe me. lol. 

My favorite one is if I'm a lesbian...

I think next time I get asked a variation of it, I will just respond "Because my life is completely screwed up, I'm a pain to be around and not even my mother loves me" just for the shock value. To make them shut up. Of course, with an answer like that, they may actually believe me. lol. 

Or you can ask them if they have someone in mind.  Of course, that could backfire...