An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Choices

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Reflecting time.

I've been thinking lately, and maybe y'all can give some input unto this. Our life is made up of choices we and others around us have made, so what if we could change a choice we made that would make our life a lot different than it is now? I'm not even talking about a huge knowingly life defining choice. Even a little choice that ultimately changed your life for the better or worse. What compels us to make those choices, and does God already know those tiny choices that we will make? If it will unknowingly change our life for the worse, what is the force that makes us make those choices? If they are ultimately bad, why would God allow us to make them? Maybe that falls under "Why does God let bad things happen?", but I don't necessarily mean that.

Sorry if this is weirdly phrased.

PhuturePriest

Reflecting time.

I've been thinking lately, and maybe y'all can give some input unto this. Our life is made up of choices we and others around us have made, so what if we could change a choice we made that would make our life a lot different than it is now? I'm not even talking about a huge knowingly life defining choice. Even a little choice that ultimately changed your life for the better or worse. What compels us to make those choices, and does God already know those tiny choices that we will make? If it will unknowingly change our life for the worse, what is the force that makes us make those choices? If they are ultimately bad, why would God allow us to make them? Maybe that falls under "Why does God let bad things happen?", but I don't necessarily mean that.

Well, I'm not really able to answer the question as a whole, but yes, God knows we will make those tiny choices since God knows everything that has happened and everything that will come to be.

Edited by FuturePriest387

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I don't know about all that, but I wish I could go back and change my choice of reading this thread.

Lol... Sorry.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

God gives up free will and most of us abuse it.

Right. I get that. But what about if we truly don't know that a choice we made would change our life for the worse? Then again, is it really for the worst, or is God having another opportunity to work in our lives and purify us, etc?

Maybe I'm WAY overthinking this.

PhuturePriest

Right. I get that. But what about if we truly don't know that a choice we made would change our life for the worse? Then again, is it really for the worst, or is God having another opportunity to work in our lives and purify us, etc?

Life is life. Sometimes we make good decisions, sometimes we make bad ones. Just pray and ask God to help you make the right decision, and of course you can ask friends about it as well.

Perhaps you are over-thinking. We don't have crystal balls to see what happens from our choice. There's no guarantees. Our choice must obey our conscience, and our conscience must be formed properly. Also, if our choice is turning out to the the wrong one, we must check our silly pride and admit it and make the proper corrections/reparations. 

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Perhaps this should have stayed in a thought bubble... Haha.

But thank you, Papist and FP. I see what you're saying.

PhuturePriest

Perhaps this should have stayed in a thought bubble... Haha.

But thank you, Papist and FP. I see what you're saying.

If everything I thought stayed in the thought bubble, we wouldn't have such amazing threads like The World Is Full of Sheep to re-read for comic relief!

I like to think that we have tons of choices we can choose from in every aspect of our life.

The choice is ALWAYS ours (free will) but God knows which one we will take and where it will lead us. He knows the outcome of every angle but its us that choose it.

God also allows bad things happen so that a greater good can come out of it. Example: Jesus dying on the cross. 

Basilisa Marie

Reflecting time.

God knows all possible outcomes of all possible choices and combinations and choices, and which choices we will make. Some of these choices that we make are propelled by grace, others temptation, and still others...I don't know.  I know my parents asked me if I wanted to skip a grade back in the beginning of third grade, because everything was so easy for me. If I had chosen to skip a grade, my life would be completely different than how it is now, since I chose to stay. What compelled me to make that choice? Staying with my friends? I don't think that was grace or temptation, yet it made a HUGE difference for me.  I wouldn't have become friends with the same people, I wouldn't have gone to the college I went to, I wouldn't have met my boyfriend...

Ultimately God respects our free will and doesn't force us to make any of our decisions, and works with the decisions that we do make. We're the ones who still have to make the decisions that ultimately land us in heaven or Hell, even if God already knows what the results of those decisions are. 

God knows all possible outcomes of all possible choices and combinations and choices, and which choices we will make. Some of these choices that we make are propelled by grace, others temptation, and still others...I don't know.  I know my parents asked me if I wanted to skip a grade back in the beginning of third grade, because everything was so easy for me. If I had chosen to skip a grade, my life would be completely different than how it is now, since I chose to stay. What compelled me to make that choice? Staying with my friends? I don't think that was grace or temptation, yet it made a HUGE difference for me.  I wouldn't have become friends with the same people, I wouldn't have gone to the college I went to, I wouldn't have met my boyfriend...

Ultimately God respects our free will and doesn't force us to make any of our decisions, and works with the decisions that we do make. We're the ones who still have to make the decisions that ultimately land us in heaven or Hell, even if God already knows what the results of those decisions are. 

I think thats a perfect answer

FutureCarmeliteClaire

This pretty much answered what I was saying. I agree.

Maybe this is why St. Paul says to pray without ceasing?

There are many choices we make that can affect our lives for better or for worse without us knowing (at decision time) if these decisions are as important as they really are.

So what do you do?

I guess you pray for guidance..in all areas of your life.  Ask for the gifts of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom....

If a decision, made in 'good faith', becomes one of the decisions that changes your life for the worse; maybe evaluate for whom it is worse and for whom it might be better and why.  Or, simply know this is where the Father has placed you; know that he loves you; trust in Him; and take up your cross.