An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Choices

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FCC, really think this is a good thread and a really great topic to think and pray over.  Loved what people have  been saying, especially Basilisa Marie and MIKolbe's comments.

I also love the concept (from St. Ignatius) that one can get kinda crazy by trying to make the 'right' choice or the 'best' choice -- if one prayerfully chooses to make the 'better' choice at each point, one hopefully will start to see a 'better' trend.  If a problem starts to emerge, one can prayerfully back-track and refocus and choose differently.   But some choices are hard to un-choose, obviously, so especial prayer and discernment is needed at those times.   

And that, too, is what admitting a mistake and starting over again... and God's forgiveness in the sacrament of penance.... and the ability to forgive oneself and others in our human interactions... is all about. 

But not easy... OH no.    But it is the right choice.  One step, one choice at a time....

Edited by AnneLine

I used to be quite preoccupied with this, but not any more. Every life is made up of millions of choices, big and small, and some will be significant and others not so significant at all - but we will never know which is which. Ultimately, it doesn't matter.

I envisage each choice as being like a thread. God is weaving the tapestry from all our threads. The specific choices we make will affect how the tapestry looks in the end - but however it looks, it's going to be beautiful. For sure. When there are infinite variations on beautiful the specifics don't matter so much. :)

We think of choices too much in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'. Sometimes we just have a whole bunch of good options, and there is no wrong choice. We narrow God down too much when we think that there must be one solitary right thing to do that will alter the course of our existence forever. This is how finite minds think. He's not finite.

HisChildForever

We're the ones who still have to make the decisions that ultimately land us in heaven or Hell, even if God already knows what the results of those decisions are. 

It sort of freaks me out that at this moment God knows I'm going to ______ [insert eternal life or damnation here].

Basilisa Marie

It sort of freaks me out that at this moment God knows I'm going to ______ [insert eternal life or damnation here].

Yeah, but the good thing is we always have the option of repentance and accepting forgiveness for our sin, up until the last millisecond of our consciousness in our lives. There's no "whoops sorry game over you've chosen the wrong path and now it's impossible to fix it."  It took me a long time to realize that that's not how it works, especially when trying to "figure out" what your vocation is. 

Also: God might live in the 10th dimension. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts