An Old School Catholic Message Board

So.

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

The DSMME do like you to visit other orders before you apply or even if you don't intend to apply soon. But, since I'm looking at applying next year as a very real possibility, I've been considering what other orders I want to visit. I've been thinking about that anyway, whether or I apply or not. 

So the other order that I want to visit is....

*drumroll*

SSEW! :nun: They're just around an 8 hour drive away (give or take traffic) and I've wanted to go visit them for a while. I was thinking about it yesterday and couldn't for the life of me remember which order it was that I wanted to visit other than the DSMME, but they just popped into my head suddenly. 

Has anyone gone to visit them? If so, how was it? Do they have discernment retreats, or are their retreats mostly focused on other things? 

Well it's funny that you ask because I literally just got back from visiting them this past weekend. I posted a thread about it in VS. They don't have Come and See retreats because they want discerners to see the apostolate in action so check out their other retreats and see which one you'd like to go on. Just email Sr. Louise Marie (vocations director) and ask if that's ok. Plus if you check out the thread I posted, I uploaded a video slideshow to YouTube and the link is in the thread.

OnlySunshine

Alabama is a cool state.

But it's HOT there in the summer.  Be forewarned.  My aunt used to live there in Birmingham and had snow some winters and intense heat in the summer.  Apparently, the SsEW have good air conditioning because CherieMadame (who used to be a Sister there; as well as Lilllabettt) used to have to wear a sweater in the summer since the A/C was turned on.  :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

The DSMME do like you to visit other orders before you apply or even if you don't intend to apply soon. But, since I'm looking at applying next year as a very real possibility, I've been considering what other orders I want to visit. I've been thinking about that anyway, whether or I apply or not. 

So the other order that I want to visit is....

*drumroll*

SSEW! :nun: They're just around an 8 hour drive away (give or take traffic) and I've wanted to go visit them for a while. I was thinking about it yesterday and couldn't for the life of me remember which order it was that I wanted to visit other than the DSMME, but they just popped into my head suddenly. 

Has anyone gone to visit them? If so, how was it? Do they have discernment retreats, or are their retreats mostly focused on other things? 

You might want to take a look at this old thread from 2011.  There is a LOT of good information about them.  :)

Sister Servants of the Eternal Word

I wanted to discern with them for a while but I went to visit the Religious Sisters of Mercy instead.  Plus, it probably wouldn't work with my health problems.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Guest Allie

ahem dc,

[spoiler]

YOU CANT GO ANYWHERE IF YOU DONT STUUUUUUUUDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

[/spoiler]

Unless you're an art major (like someone you know was) :nun3:

dominicansoul

i would visit a carmel because they are so different from doms....and after seeing all the crazy stuff they do there, your decision to enter the DSMME will strengthen.. :P

Guest Allie

i would visit a carmel because they are so different from doms....and after seeing all the crazy stuff they do there, your decision to enter the DSMME will strengthen.. :P

:bash:

How many threads do you two need? :hehe2:  :hehe2:

ToJesusMyHeart

How do you make that spoiler thingy?

And also, I'm from TX so I can handle anything Alabama throws ;) (But I'm not visiting them anytime soon... :( )

How many threads do you two need? :hehe2:  :hehe2:

a few

or all of them

How do you make that spoiler thingy?

And also, I'm from TX so I can handle anything Alabama throws ;) (But I'm not visiting them anytime soon... :( )

in the reply box at teh top just left of font it says special BBCode and spoiler is one of them

ur from TX??  :console:

Kayte Postle

Unless you're an art major (like someone you know was) :nun3:

Yeah but then you have to spend 40 extra hours a week in the studio and breathing in harmful chemicals all day. (I'm an art major :proud: )

Visit the nashies!! Or you could see what convents are semi-close you and visit one of those.

Edited by Kayte Postle