ploomf Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 It's cultural among young Mormons too. All of my high school friends married in their early twenties while they were still in college, had children quickly, and are stay at home moms. Looking at their lives they sacrifice a lot to be able to afford this. They live in small houses, have one car per family, clip coupons, don't eat out, don't take vacations, buy used whenever possible. Personally I'm glad I didn't get married young, I've changed so much in the past 6 or so years, I'm pretty much a completely different person now than I was back in high school.
CrossCuT Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 I think rushing marriage is a bad idea. I'm not going to point fingers, but there's a reason why we have a high divorce rate. Not to say that people who marry early can't have successful marriages, far from it. But, you should know 100% if you'd be able to live with that other person for a lifetime before committing. It takes years for that to happen. The reason why is because during the initial stages of love, there is reduced activity in areas of your brain (the amygdala, the prefrontal cortex and the frontal cortex) dealing with learning from past mistakes, judgement, analysis, delaying gratification and predicting future events. In other words, love makes you a total idiot. If you get married during these initial stages, you risk the possibility of later realizing you made a huge mistake. Your prefrontal cortex is also not fully developed until youre about 25. ...silly kids.
Basilisa Marie Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 A lot of my college friends got engaged senior year or just after senior year. Two years later they're all now sharing their first pregnancy photos. I think part of it has to do with the whole "Why wait?" idea. If you know, then you know, so there's no reason to postpone it. I also know a lot of my friends who got married out of college had relatively modest weddings and receptions. The couples have strong support systems, and it seems to me like THAT is the most important thing about marrying young. You have to have strong support from your family and community. That's what makes it work well in the Orthodox Jewish and Mormon communities - their sense of communal support is incredible. :) I'm not engaged yet, but my boyfriend and I have discussed it a lot. We decided that since we both wanted Master's degrees (in different fields), it made more sense to wait, partly because we didn't want a super long engagement. I also know that I'm not ready to have kids yet, and that starts becoming a possibility once you say your "I dos". But if I was satisfied with my Bachelor's degree and wanted first and foremost to be a stay at home mother, I'd probably be married by now. :)
Papist Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 I have many friends that married shortly after college graduation. All of them say once they knew marriage to each other was their vocation, they did not delay. I say, marriage is friggin razzle dazzle. If I waited until I was 'ready' for marriage, I would still be single.
Kateri89 Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 I noticed on Ave Maria singles that so many couples met and were engaged only a few months later. If those marriages last then that's great but it just seems very fast. If they knew each other for awhile before they started dating then that would be different.
CatholicsAreKewl Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 (edited) Actually, you can never know 100% that you'll be able to live with a person. Even if you co-habitate for 50 years before marrying, marriage itself changes the relationship, and even if it didn't, people change. You cannot possibly know who your spouse will be in 15 years—nor can you know who YOU will be in 15 years, for that matter. By your logic, we should wait until we no longer love the person to get married. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree that the "high" one gets when one has first "fallen in love" is a bad time to make life-altering decisions, and that there should be a slight waiting period. But that "high" is more accurately described as infatuation, not love. Sometimes infatuation turns into love; sometimes it doesn't. Thus, if one is infatuated, one should wait. If one is simply in love, then off to the church with ya'. You're absolutely right. I wasn't saying to wait for like 20 years. I was merely implying that it might be better to wait a couple of years to clear up the infatuation. Some people end up marrying after a few months and having fulfilling marriages, true. But I would hesitate to argue that that's the model approach. Passionate love (what we might call infatuation) actually withers away relatively fast in many cases. This aspect of love is not necessary for a lifelong commitment. The reason i argue this is because some people are just not compatible with each other. Sometimes couples rush marriage without actually knowing themselves/what they want in a partner. Edited April 23, 2013 by CatholicsAreKewl
CatholicsAreKewl Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 Your prefrontal cortex is also not fully developed until youre about 25. ...silly kids. Yes! Precisely why marrying at a young age might not be the best option for some people...
BG45 Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 I'm 26, going on 27, and still quite single (and not for lack of trying), and honestly? Seeing all these Catholic couples who just find each other and "click" so quickly, make me sometimes wonder if I'm going to be alone for the rest of my days or if there's something wrong with me, that I'm still single. If someone finds who they're meant to be with, then good for them. Most of the people I know, however, who got married early, got divorced after 2-3 kids though (and usually because one or both of them were cheating on the other). Even if you co-habitate for 50 years before marrying, marriage itself changes the relationship, and even if it didn't, people change. You cannot possibly know who your spouse will be in 15 years—nor can you know who YOU will be in 15 years, for that matter. Agreed. I have friends who cohabitated for six years before getting married and after one year of marriage, the wife was threatening to get a divorce and move out of state because both had changed so much. I noticed on Ave Maria singles that so many couples met and were engaged only a few months later. If those marriages last then that's great but it just seems very fast. If they knew each other for awhile before they started dating then that would be different. I've noticed that on AMS as well (a friend who recommended the site to me, was engaged after 3 months), but hasn't been my experience there. I've met up with two people for a combined total of six trips and both fell through, one because the woman ripped into everything I did from "false chivalry" to being "rude about the Mass" and one because "You're a really great guy, but I'm not attracted to you". :|
CatholicsAreKewl Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 A lot of my college friends got engaged senior year or just after senior year. Two years later they're all now sharing their first pregnancy photos. I think part of it has to do with the whole "Why wait?" idea. If you know, then you know, so there's no reason to postpone it. I also know a lot of my friends who got married out of college had relatively modest weddings and receptions. The couples have strong support systems, and it seems to me like THAT is the most important thing about marrying young. You have to have strong support from your family and community. That's what makes it work well in the Orthodox Jewish and Mormon communities - their sense of communal support is incredible. :) True, but that sense of community also can make the marriage a nightmare. Imagine a case where one of the spouses was emotionally/physically abusive. How much harder is it to leave such a relationship if the whole community will judge you. This is not merely a hypothetical. This sort of thing happens all the time regardless of faith.
CatherineM Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 Marriage takes two people who are willing to work together and stay married no matter what. There is no mr. Right. There are no soul mates in the way popular culture thinks. No amount of time before marriage will ever allow you to know everything about a potential spouse. You can have a great marriage in a small apartment, with only one car or no car at all. You can even go to school without incurring student loans. If you have so many family members that a reasonable wedding is impossible, elope. If you can't work through minor issues to marry, how are you ever going to work through major issues after you marry.
Papist Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 (edited) Very good CatherineM. I always get nauseous whenever I hear he's my soulmate yada yada yada. I will add, my wife is not my ultimate fulfillment....Jesus Christ is. Edited April 23, 2013 by Papist
HisChildForever Posted April 23, 2013 Author Posted April 23, 2013 Marriage takes two people who are willing to work together and stay married no matter what. There is no mr. Right. There are no soul mates in the way popular culture thinks. No amount of time before marriage will ever allow you to know everything about a potential spouse. You can have a great marriage in a small apartment, with only one car or no car at all. You can even go to school without incurring student loans. If you have so many family members that a reasonable wedding is impossible, elope. If you can't work through minor issues to marry, how are you ever going to work through major issues after you marry. My boyfriend and I are on the same page with figuring out wedding expenses, so there's no issue. Thanks though.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 Marriage takes two people who are willing to work together and stay married no matter what. There is no mr. Right. There are no soul mates in the way popular culture thinks. Very good CatherineM. I always get nauseous whenever I hear he's my soulmate yada yada yada. I will add, my wife is not my ultimate fulfillment....Jesus Christ is. Props to you both.
CrossCuT Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 (edited) I'm 26, going on 27, and still quite single (and not for lack of trying), and honestly? Seeing all these Catholic couples who just find each other and "click" so quickly, make me sometimes wonder if I'm going to be alone for the rest of my days or if there's something wrong with me, that I'm still single. If someone finds who they're meant to be with, then good for them. Most of the people I know, however, who got married early, got divorced after 2-3 kids though (and usually because one or both of them were cheating on the other). I felt the exact same way for 24 years. I never found anyone that liked me. I felt like there was something wrong with me!! But honestly, just always be open to it but content with who you are at the same time. You never know where youll meet someone. I met my boyfriend on an online video game and he wasnt Catholic and we clicked right away. Now, a year later, we both think the other is super rad and he was brought into the Catholic Church this Easter! You never know where you will meet the person or what circumstances you will meet them in, but in the end if you both commit and want whats best, it will all smooth out! Just be open to the possibilities! You might not always meet your match in a place youd expect! Edited April 23, 2013 by CrossCuT
arfink Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 I felt the exact same way for 24 years. I never found anyone that liked me. I felt like there was something wrong with me!! But honestly, just always be open to it but content with who you are at the same time. You never know where youll meet someone. I met my boyfriend on an online video game and he wasnt Catholic and we clicked right away. Now, a year later, we both think the other is super rad and he was brought into the Catholic Church this Easter! You never know where you will meet the person or what circumstances you will meet them in, but in the end if you both commit and want whats best, it will all smooth out! Just be open to the possibilities! You might not always meet your match in a place youd expect! Easy for a lady to say.
HisChildForever Posted April 23, 2013 Author Posted April 23, 2013 Easy for a lady to say. Not necessarily. My first serious relationship was crap, to put it politely, and then I was single for 3 years until I met my prince charming. Plenty of young people, men and women, have a hard time in the dating field.
ImageTrinity Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 We met when I was 18 and my husband was 20 and were married at 22 and 24 respectively. Once we knew that marriage was for us, we got engaged and were married 6 months later. We spent very little on our wedding and have lived frugally in order to start our family (we have a 19 month old and a baby on the way). We have certainly had to make a lot of sacrifices along the way, but I am SO glad we married young. We are maturing together as a spouses and as parents and that is a good thing! That said, I worry about couples who marry young and expect to have it all (the big wedding, honeymoon, a house and babies right away). My husband's parents were buried under debt for a long time with a large family, and that is something we are working very hard to avoid.
arfink Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 Which part!!! The "just wait, you'll find someone" part. Sure, there are women bold enough to ask a man, but that's incredibly uncommon.
fides' Jack Posted April 23, 2013 Posted April 23, 2013 Marriage takes two people who are willing to work together and stay married no matter what. There is no mr. Right. There are no soul mates in the way popular culture thinks. No amount of time before marriage will ever allow you to know everything about a potential spouse. You can have a great marriage in a small apartment, with only one car or no car at all. You can even go to school without incurring student loans. If you have so many family members that a reasonable wedding is impossible, elope. If you can't work through minor issues to marry, how are you ever going to work through major issues after you marry. Very good CatherineM. I always get nauseous whenever I hear he's my soulmate yada yada yada. I will add, my wife is not my ultimate fulfillment....Jesus Christ is. Wow - I didn't think I would find anyone else here who shares my sentiments. The idea of finding "the one" is a bunch of gibberish - at least in the sense of modern thinking. It would follow then that the feeling of "knowing he/she is meant for me" is probably nothing more than infatuation. It all boils down to the beliefs of each person regarding the indissolubility of marriage, and to the virtues of forgiveness, patience, humility, modesty, charity, prudence, etc...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now