An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Even

DiscerningCatholic

Spem in alium

Oi. 

That's just...  :blink:

I can kind of understand why they would be useful in nursing homes and the like, but still...

DiscerningCatholic

Looks like a yogurt cup.

That's EXACTLY what I said!!! I eat these

yocrunch.jpg

for breakfast sometimes and they look exactly like those communion things.

I can kind of understand why they would be useful in nursing homes and the like, but still...

That's what they made pyxes for.

One woman in the comments was complaining about how bland they tasted. I was just like, "'Kay, did you buy this for your 'communion' service or for your preschoolers?"

Spem in alium

That's what they made pyxes for.

One woman in the comments was complaining about how bland they tasted. I was just like, "'Kay, did you buy this for your 'communion' service or for your preschoolers?"

Yeah, I know, but in terms of people in homes/hospitals being able to receive under both species, I think it's interesting. Not necessarily right, just interesting.

It does look a lot like a yoghurt cup. Totally agree with your reaction to the blandness comment. And the whole part about taste testing the grape juice...?

ChristinaTherese

From a Protestant point of view (and I'm nearly positive that they are Protestant, judging by the page you gave), it makes sense. It eliminates the problem of pouring grape juice into a bunch of tiny cups (which is the common way to do things) and would just streamline the process. It's horribly grating from a Catholic perspective, but you have to remember that they don't have the Eucharist. They have bread and grape juice. When you look at things that way, it's still irreverent and annoying but it makes more sense. Commenting on the taste of the juice and bread would only make sense there, too, because that's all they have. Christ-less bread and grape juice (or wine, but it's generally grape juice at the churches I grew up in, and when there's a choice people seem to often prefer the juice).

By the way, upon a quick look further, they must be Protestant. They talk about the King James (KJV)....

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

The Prots use this type approach in a lot of mega churches where they might have several thousand at a service and everybody gets their own cup. It really is a bit of work, I grew up in a small church of only about 200 families...On communion Sundays the ladies would be pouring grape juice into all the little 1/4 ounce cups...From a Protty prospective it just makes sense.

Spem in alium

From a Protestant point of view (and I'm nearly positive that they are Protestant, judging by the page you gave), it makes sense. It eliminates the problem of pouring grape juice into a bunch of tiny cups (which is the common way to do things) and would just streamline the process. It's horribly grating from a Catholic perspective, but you have to remember that they don't have the Eucharist. They have bread and grape juice. When you look at things that way, it's still irreverent and annoying but it makes more sense. Commenting on the taste of the juice and bread would only make sense there, too, because that's all they have. Christ-less bread and grape juice (or wine, but it's generally grape juice at the churches I grew up in, and when there's a choice people seem to often prefer the juice).

By the way, upon a quick look further, they must be Protestant. They talk about the King James (KJV)....

The Prots use this type approach in a lot of mega churches where they might have several thousand at a service and everybody gets their own cup. It really is a bit of work, I grew up in a small church of only about 200 families...On communion Sundays the ladies would be pouring grape juice into all the little 1/4 ounce cups...From a Protty prospective it just makes sense.

Right. It definitely makes more sense that way!

Edited by Spem in alium

The Mormon church also uses something like this only with water. They pass around little metal trays that hold lots of little plastic cups of water. The trays have an opening in the middle and a space down below to hold the used cups. You take a cup and drink the water then drop the cup in the opening.

ChristinaTherese

Its Protestant.  Any Catholic that would say "grape juice" needs a lot of catechesis!!

this is interesting

http://www.kingdom.com/Personalized-Candy-Bar-Wrappers-p/cbwa.htm

Not to mention any Catholic that would put Our Lord into a little plastic cup... or just leave Him around for people to take... or... or... or.... That website just exudes Protestantness.

Not to mention any Catholic that would put Our Lord into a little plastic cup... or just leave Him around for people to take... or... or... or.... That website just exudes Protestantness.

yup

I hope Id never see this in a Catholic Church either

KL3TIER-2.jpg?1362489461

Three-tier Acrylic Lectern

Three-tier style acrylic lectern features 6-column base with a middle shelf with plenty of space for sermon notes and a glass of water

You know youre in for a lot of long homilies if father needs a place to put a drink! :P

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

You know youre in for a lot of long homilies if father needs a place to put a drink! :P

About a week and a half ago I was serving at a wedding Mass, we DID need to go get the concelebrating Fr.
(uncle of the groom) a glass of water because his throat was so dry. And he kept coughing and was worried he wouldn't get through the vows.