An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pain And Church

Anastasia13

How much pain during the day allows one to sleep in and rest instead of Mass?

That is a judgment you alone are qualified to make. If you are ill you should take care of your health. It is similar to the discipline on fasting. If you are not well and fasting would harm you further, you should not fast at the time of your illness.

Nihil Obstat

I agree with Apo. Think on it for a bit, pray on it, and do what you believe is best. You can be confident in that.

Anastasia13

I agree with Apo. Think on it for a bit, pray on it, and do what you believe is best. You can be confident in that.

Some decisions are more adequately informed at times the interfere with the possibility of effectively meeting the needs that may be presented in one possible option.

Fasting is hard to compare to. I received a blanket not to worry about fasting when I asked about it 6 months ago.

Edited by Light and Truth

Pain is a subjective quality. If you are in pain I would say that that is your body warning you that something is wrong, and you should listen to your body.

I live with pain. My yardstick is if I am in so much pain that I can't have proper attention to the mass, I stay home and watch it on tv.

Anastasia13

Well, I feel better, but I woke up half an hour before my alarm. Mostly very tired from a very long yesterday, broken sleep as of late, and have to work later and have an early day tomorrow.

Be confident in your decision. God knows your heart.

Never been good at that. My inner critic is mildy existentialist too.

Edited by Light and Truth

Well I had to leave in the middle of Mass one week due to some pretty intense pain and I figured God understood. If the pain is so awful that you can't concentrate on other things then you should probably stay home.

I was in more pain leaving church today than going in. I wasn't sure I should go since I couldn't get my left leg to move. It's partially paralyzed and some days are worse than others. I had to slide all the way across the front seat in order to get it in the van. Got to church and the accessible door was open, which it is often locked.

So we sit where we normally do, and a woman tells us to move because she has all those seats saved for her family. We got up and moved to the other side. A man came over and told us those were reserved too. We got up again, and started to move into the pew in front of us, and a guy pushed me so hard to grab that pew instead, that I slammed into the wall. Good thing it was there though, or I'd have fallen to the floor.

I thought my husband was going to take his head off, so I got him out of there. This parish is half full even at Easter, so it wasn't like there wasn't going to be enough seats. I don't know if I'll ever get him back in that parish again.

Anastasia13

L and T how long has it been since you went to church? It seems you make these threads every week.

It's not quite every week. I missed Palm Sunday and every Sunday after Easter except for a portion if another nearby service I came late to and left early because it lasted much longer than I thought it would.

IcePrincessKRS

I was in more pain leaving church today than going in. I wasn't sure I should go since I couldn't get my left leg to move. It's partially paralyzed and some days are worse than others. I had to slide all the way across the front seat in order to get it in the van. Got to church and the accessible door was open, which it is often locked.

So we sit where we normally do, and a woman tells us to move because she has all those seats saved for her family. We got up and moved to the other side. A man came over and told us those were reserved too. We got up again, and started to move into the pew in front of us, and a guy pushed me so hard to grab that pew instead, that I slammed into the wall. Good thing it was there though, or I'd have fallen to the floor.

I thought my husband was going to take his head off, so I got him out of there. This parish is half full even at Easter, so it wasn't like there wasn't going to be enough seats. I don't know if I'll ever get him back in that parish again.

Dang, woman, you should have just told them no! I'd be so peeved! Shoot, I was irked that my regular pew has been usurped the last 3 weeks, and I'm perfectly capable of sitting in another spot without being in significant pain when I move around.

Nihil Obstat

At one Mass recently, I think the Easter Vigil actually, I sat in my normal spot with a family behind me, and after Communion the family behind me moved to the same row as me for some reason, but there were enough of them that it pushed me all the way to the opposite end of the pew, a good 15 feet from where I started. I was a bit perplexed. Their row was empty.

It's not quite every week. I missed Palm Sunday and every Sunday after Easter except for a portion if another nearby service I came late to and left early because it lasted much longer than I thought it would.

bluntly put,

if i was missing Mass almost every week, I sure as hell wouldn't be posting threads about it, asking people to validate my decisions. that's what your spiritual director/confessor/local priest is for.