An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pain And Church

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

bluntly put,

if i was missing Mass almost every week, I sure as hell wouldn't be posting threads about it, asking people to validate my decisions. that's what your spiritual director/confessor/local priest is for. 

I start physical therapy tomorrow, and have been playing phone tag with my priest.  Of course I am more interested in guidance than validation myself, but I suppose it is possible some look for validation of decisions online.  What's your rule of thumb if you don't get a chance to talk to your spiritual director/confessor/priest?

Edited by Light and Truth

Anastasia13

I was in more pain leaving church today than going in. I wasn't sure I should go since I couldn't get my left leg to move. It's partially paralyzed and some days are worse than others. I had to slide all the way across the front seat in order to get it in the van. Got to church and the accessible door was open, which it is often locked.

So we sit where we normally do, and a woman tells us to move because she has all those seats saved for her family. We got up and moved to the other side. A man came over and told us those were reserved too. We got up again, and started to move into the pew in front of us, and a guy pushed me so hard to grab that pew instead, that I slammed into the wall. Good thing it was there though, or I'd have fallen to the floor.

I thought my husband was going to take his head off, so I got him out of there. This parish is half full even at Easter, so it wasn't like there wasn't going to be enough seats. I don't know if I'll ever get him back in that parish again.

Wow, just wow.  If I didn't know better, I wouldn't believe it. People can be so inconsiderate and selfish sometimes.  I hope you get some relief soon.  My friend thinks they need better ushers there.

It was the usher who moved us the second time. My husband has been going to that parish for ten years and that pew has never been reserved before. Of course this is the same usher who kept forgetting to unlock the accessible door locking out all the disabled people from mass.

Hmmmm.... we have a sign on one pew that says this is reserved for the elderly and those with disabilities.   Perhaps the pew SHOULD be reserved.... but not for the first comers.... but for the people who really need that pew.

That is SO irritating Catherine.   I realize that Austin is going to stick up for you, but perhaps one of your big strapping, sons... or several of them... could look more, uh, intimidating? In a most loving, Christian way, of course.....

Anastasia13

It was the usher who moved us the second time. My husband has been going to that parish for ten years and that pew has never been reserved before. Of course this is the same usher who kept forgetting to unlock the accessible door locking out all the disabled people from mass.

Lame! G_d bless you for dealing with that, CatherineM.

I'm glad Zach wasn't with us. He'd had punched the guy, and his probation officer would have punched Zach.

I was in more pain leaving church today than going in. I wasn't sure I should go since I couldn't get my left leg to move. It's partially paralyzed and some days are worse than others. I had to slide all the way across the front seat in order to get it in the van. Got to church and the accessible door was open, which it is often locked.

So we sit where we normally do, and a woman tells us to move because she has all those seats saved for her family. We got up and moved to the other side. A man came over and told us those were reserved too. We got up again, and started to move into the pew in front of us, and a guy pushed me so hard to grab that pew instead, that I slammed into the wall. Good thing it was there though, or I'd have fallen to the floor.

I thought my husband was going to take his head off, so I got him out of there. This parish is half full even at Easter, so it wasn't like there wasn't going to be enough seats. I don't know if I'll ever get him back in that parish again.

It sounds like you should be seeing a doctor rather than worrying about mass. 

I see one weekly. The only remote chance of repairing some of the damage to my back is a surgery that would have a 50-50 chance of leaving me a paraplegic. Not a chance I'm willing to take. I don't take painkillers because I've seen first hand what a slippery slope that can be. I'm someone who lives with chronic pain and physical disability. The operative word is that I live with it. I don't let it defeat me.

you should read her book.