An Old School Catholic Message Board

Demonizing The Un-educated

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pax domini bretheren,sympathiesers and others...

Who agrees that demonizing the less educated in the manner of spelling and grammer is anti christian. What i mean is putting to much emphasis on such to somone whom is less educated can actually cause friction, paticularily if your not willing to go through there writings with them. And also i think you will find some of the great saints works are edited, st therese of liseux wrote in a very street french as far as i'm aware, and i assume her works where edited for spelling and gramatical errors. I could get nasty about this but i won't. Also a lecture on saint paul i watched said he had dictators scrolling all he said. I think it may be the other way around with him though making his language more accesible to the poor.

Please consider.

Jesus iz Lord.

God is Good,God is Love.

My son has lots of issues with vocabulary and spelling and grammar. His is smart but uneducated. His original mom was mentally ill and never let him attend school. All he learned was religion and math. He learned to read in a bible study with a bunch of retired school teachers when he was 12.

I correct his grammar. I give him a new word every day. I send him text messages with complete sentences, proper grammar and punctuation just so he can get used to seeing what proper is. There is nothing anti-Christian about correcting ignorance. In fact it is always anti-Christian to allow people to walk in darkness when we can show them the light.

Correcting the uneducated, when done in a kind and helpful way, could be considered an act of charity. It would be un-Christian to not help them. 

My younger sister is dyslexic and used to struggle a lot with spelling and grammar. But just letting her struggle was never going to help her, kind and consistent correction of her mistakes is what has helped her.

Edited by EmilyAnn

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

My son has lots of issues with vocabulary and spelling and grammar. His is smart but uneducated. His original mom was mentally ill and never let him attend school. All he learned was religion and math. He learned to read in a bible study with a bunch of retired school teachers when he was 12.

I correct his grammar. I give him a new word every day. I send him text messages with complete sentences, proper grammar and punctuation just so he can get used to seeing what proper is. There is nothing anti-Christian about correcting ignorance. In fact it is always anti-Christian to allow people to walk in darkness when we can show them the light.

Do you really think perfect grammer and punctuation is the light, ie: can save us and get us into heaven ? I'm not saying perfect grammer and spelling is wrong if you have it, but be carefull how you treat people that don't.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

by the by...The question was who agrees that demonizing the un-educated is anti christian? The rest was more of a statement., my answer to my own question.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Like i appereciate everything you both said and read it all but don't quite hear a unanimous yes or no to the question from either of you. Do you think that demonizing the un-educated is anti christian ? 

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Correcting the uneducated, when done in a kind and helpful way, could be considered an act of charity. It would be un-Christian to not help them. 

My younger sister is dyslexic and used to struggle a lot with spelling and grammar. But just letting her struggle was never going to help her, kind and consistent correction of her mistakes is what has helped her.

Not done much around here, which I think is what he is referring to.

Though demonizing is a strong word.

Edited by Papist

Has anyone ever been canonized while still alive? Cuz I think you're an excellent candidate.

To the OP: I think that demonizing the uneducated is definitely wrong and unchristian. But I don't think correcting one's spelling/grammar qualifies as "demonization".

At the same time, if someone is very sensitive about their poor spelling/grammar ability (which it sounds like maybe you are, Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye), I think that it becomes others to be sensitive to that fact and only correct the poor speller/grammarian with great caution and charity. And I also think that it becomes the person with poor spelling/grammar to let go of that insecurity and attempt to be corrected with humility and gratitude.

Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye: Are you sensitive about this matter? If so, are you trying to tell us to be nicer when we correct you/others?

I think you demonize yourself when you don't want to continue learning through life. It's never too late to improve your writing skills. I'm 51 years old, have three college degrees, and still go to school.

CatholicsAreKewl

Well, I wouldn't support euthanizing or killing the uneducated. I wouldn't support judging the less educated, either. Some very successful people had little formal education. There is a tendency to see others as less than human when we perceive them as "feeble minded". I think the OP is raising a good point. It seems incredibly easy to subconsciously dehumanize a person.  I'm too lazy to post examples.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

There's uneducated and there is living in stubborn ignorance.

For instance, you often post Jesus iz Lord.  Would it really be that hard to write Jesus is Lord?  

Will good grammar get us into Heaven?  Not by it's merit alone.  Will the uneducated simpletones get into Heaven.  Absolutely!

That said, we are given the gift from God of communication.  No other creature on earth is able to communicate to the level humans do.  Therefore, my hypothesis is those who ignore good grammar and refuse to learn are sinning by throwing away a gift that God gives to us.  It's not a mortal sin, but it's certainly not right.

We must be patient with those trying to learn.  We shouldn't condemn them.  We do have the right to ask for clarification, and we do have the need to understand what a person is asking.  If the person has not mastered English to the degree that they are able to communicate and they have mental or physical blocks then perhaps they might consider that a message board is not an appropriate place to voice their concerns.

CatholicsAreKewl

Will good grammar get us into Heaven?  Not by it's merit alone.  Will the uneducated simpletones get into Heaven.  Absolutely!

Simpletons... 

But whatevz. U can h8 on peepz for tlkin lyk dis on a mezzaj bord but ur asumin dat u kno dat dey r doin it on purpoz 2 ann0y u or dat itz somtin dey can c0ntrol. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Simpletons... 

But whatevz. U can h8 on peepz for tlkin lyk dis on a mezzaj bord but ur asumin dat u kno dat dey r doin it on purpoz 2 ann0y u or dat itz somtin dey can c0ntrol. 

I'm not "hating on" anyone.  I am saying that there's no reason not to improve to the point your communication is fluent.

I'm in CA.  I see people giving EVERYTHING to learn English.  They will not eat dinner for a week to afford classes at the local community colleges.   I also see college student studying for hours, paying tutors to get themselves fluent in a language (usually madrian Chinese or Spanish or Arabic or Russian).

I also work with people with disabilities.  They would be ashamed of the above sentence.   Even those who are deaf and speak ASL try to conform to standard grammar.   The only people who would be proud of the above sentence are people who like to show off their gettoness.

People make HUGE sacrifices for language.  And again if written language is not your thing stay off of message boards.  Regardless of if you're trying to be annoying or not, it is.  English is a standardized language, everyone makes mistakes.  Most people can control things far more if they just put in a little effort.