An Old School Catholic Message Board

Demonizing The Un-educated

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

CatholicsAreKewl

I also work with people with disabilities.  They would be ashamed of the above sentence.   Even those who are deaf and speak ASL try to conform to standard grammar.   The only people who would be proud of the above sentence are people who like to show off their gettoness.

I never said I was trying to represent a specific group... tho i amz nat-ral-lee ghetto fabulezz. 

People make HUGE sacrifices for language.  And again if written language is not your thing stay off of message boards.  Regardless of if you're trying to be annoying or not, it is.  English is a standardized language, everyone makes mistakes.  Most people can control things far more if they just put in a little effort.  

I totally understand where you're coming from. I don't think it's fair to tell those people to get off of message boards just because written language is harder for them. I imagine that a community like this would be focused on love and acceptance, not grammar. 

Despite all of what I said, I welcome users to correct my posts. I need to improve my English for grad school. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

I just don't understand how someone living in the US, or any other developed country, could have such poor communication skills as an adult. I understand some people have learning and communication disabilities, but just accepting them and not trying to improve yourself is not a good path to travel. There is no "demonization" going on here...I just expect to communicate with others in an acceptable manner. If someone criticizes my views and is not able to effectively communicate, am I going to take them seriously? No. I do not mean to offend anyone, but don't be hypercritical of me in horrible english.

GeorgiiMichael

I hate scholars.

Jesus didn't write. He liked to draw in the sand. 

And Jesus didn't go to college. True Wisdom comes from the Lord. Does a Shepard need to do more than count sheep?

You're a pretty lazy troll. Try harder.

ToJesusMyHeart

Jesus didn't use deoderant or brush his teeth.

Therefore, we shouldn't use deoderant or brush our teeth.  :bananarap:

And Jesus didn't go to college. True Wisdom comes from the Lord. Does a Shepard need to do more than count sheep?

This kinda proves my point.  Shepards who can only count sheep and have no command of English or another language combined with a aptitude with bablefish have no business on a message board.  

True wisdom comes from God, but for us to impart the wisdom on others we must communicate.

It's not to say we shouldn't ban people who can't write, it's to say that those who can't write should be working on it and show improvement  in order to avoid the frustration of others and potential "ignore" button.

Spem in alium

I think "demonising"is a strong word and is one I'm fairly reluctant to use.

I can relate to this issue as I work with school students who are struggling. Some of them have atrocious grammar and spelling and are in their final years of school. A question I ask in my work is: is it fairer for me to just correct their work for them, or should I get them to point out where they went wrong?

Most of the times it's fairer for me to correct them as they have no idea what they're doing wrong. People who have trouble with these kinds of areas do benefit from support and assistance, and they shouldn't be pushed to learn and improve all on their own. Language, especially English, can be a hard thing to teach yourself.

Nihil Obstat

I can relate to this issue as I work with school students who are struggling. Some of them have atrocious grammar and spelling and are in their final years of school. A question I ask in my work is: is it fairer for me to just correct their work for them, or should I get them to point out where they went wrong?

Most of the times it's fairer for me to correct them as they have no idea what they're doing wrong. People who have trouble with these kinds of areas do benefit from support and assistance, and they shouldn't be pushed to learn and improve all on their own. Language, especially English, can be a hard thing to teach yourself.

I hope you do not use Strunk and White for your correcting. :|

Simpletons... 

But whatevz. U can h8 on peepz for tlkin lyk dis on a mezzaj bord but ur asumin dat u kno dat dey r doin it on purpoz 2 ann0y u or dat itz somtin dey can c0ntrol. 

I can't even read what that says. Proper grammar and spelling is essential if you actually want people to understand you. 

Spem in alium

I hope you do not use Strunk and White for your correcting. :|

I do not. I'd never even heard of them until your post, so I researched them. To be perfectly honest, their idea sounds ridiculous to me.

Pedagogical research suggests that you should let them figure out where they went wrong. In the process of combing over their writing looking for mistakes, they will learn much more than if you just give their writing back to them with a bunch of circles on it.

I think Strunk is great for some things (like learning to write concisely), but awful for others. He was quite the snob when it came to "rules" of "proper" English.

I don't mind txt-speak, or "Ebonics", or any of the other "varieties" of English. If you read Mark Twain, do you get all bent out of shape every time Jim opens his mouth? Probably not. Why? Because Mark Twain is a well-respected author, or because Jim is a protected minority?

There are many "voices" in both spoken and written English. If a person writes in a deliberate fashion, consciously inserting typos and "improper" grammar to create a certain "voice", I am delighted. I often switch to deep-South-speak in my spoken English to create a certain effect (like humor, emphasis, etc.). This is why I have no problem with TDBR's "Jesus Iz Lord".

I take issue with "improper" writing when the "impropriety" of it doesn't add to the meaning of the message. If it's done out of laziness or ignorance, then it calls for correction. But if it's done to add depth to the words (including communicating a certain character of the speaker), then I really enjoy it and don't think it "improper" at all.

Edited by curiousing

CatholicsAreKewl

I can't even read what that says. Proper grammar and spelling ARE  essential if you actually want people to understand you. 

:heart:

I can't even read what that says. Proper grammar and spelling is are essential if you actually want people to understand you. 

Case in point: everyone makes mistakes sometimes, whether they are well educated or not. Correcting them is not the end of the world.