An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Officially Went From Daughter To Mom Last Night

CatherineM

I remember distinctly the day I really realized my dad was gone. I had car trouble and started to pick up the phone. Then I realized, I couldn't call him anymore for help. Had the same thing last summer after my mom died. I started to call her about a substitution for something in a recipe. Phone just kind of hung there in my hand.

Last night, I was the one getting the call. We have a no penalty call policy. He can call anytime of the day or night, if he's stranded or in trouble, for a free pickup without consequences. One of his friends got his first car, a $500 masterpiece of engineering. They were all the way on the south side of town when it basically blew up. They hit a pothole. There was sparks and smoke and freaking out. My mom had a no nightgown policy until we were all in the house at night. This was only 9pm, but still, I now understand why she did that.

Apparently the knight in shining armour is a frumpy middle aged woman driving an old minivan. Off we went to rescue the four stranded teenagers. No one was drunk or stoned or hurt in anyway, but they sure were happy to see me. The driver had to sit in the back with my walker but promptly fell asleep on the drive back overwhelmed with exhaustion from the trauma of losing his ride after just two days. Everyone was deposited safely at home and all's well that ends well.

I always assumed my parents were pissed at having to come get me. Now I know they felt relief knowing I was safe. Well, and a bit bemused.

homeschoolmom

Apparently the knight in shining armour is a frumpy middle aged woman driving an old minivan.

Amen sister!

TheresaThoma

I'm sure they were happy to see you! When something goes bad the only person you want is your mom!

They were jumping up and down and Zach screamed at the others, "I told you mamma bear would come through." The trip back took about 45 minutes and he spent the whole time on the phone telling people about the adventure. The rest of them fell asleep.

PhuturePriest

I'm sure they were happy to see you! When something goes bad the only person you want is your mom!

I disagree. :P I'd take my dad over my mom any day in an emergency like that. The only bonus of it being my mom would be she sometimes overreacts about things, so later I could laugh at her reaction.

Catherine, I am so glad you are back.  And I am glad you are there for them.  And for us.   thank you.

The biggest difference is I'd have to find a pay phone, and my folks would have to get up and go to the kitchen to answer it. He texted to my iPhone that I wear around my neck. Much quicker.

TheLordsSouljah

:secret: she has written a book ;)

But it has to be a biography like the Waltons, I tell you!!! :smile3: