An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Officially Went From Daughter To Mom Last Night

CatherineM

littlesister

Catherine, please stay with us.  The place just isn't the same without you.  Hope those kids know how lucky they are.

Can't help remembering - a cousin of ours had a jalopy like that.  He called it Molly. One very early morning, pretty much in the middle of nowhere and with a bunch of us in the car, Molly barked a couple of times and stopped dead.  Cousin Joe simply sighed and reached into the glove compartment.  Out came the holy water.  Up went the hood.  In went the spray.  And off went Molly.  Joe was already on his way to becomng a high school science teacher.  We've always wondered if he ever tried explaining the science behind that reaction to his classes.

• 2 weeks later...
CatherineM

Thought I'd do a short follow up. The driver stayed over for a few nights. He has stayed before, so I didn't think anything about it. One afternoon I heard his mom screaming in the parking lot. Come to find out the car in question was actually taken without permission from his uncle who had reported it stolen. If they hadn't made it to a parking lot when the transmission blew, and the police had stopped to help, they'd have been arrested. Even if the uncle wouldn't have pressed charges, Zach's probation officer could have violated him. When Zach found out, he punched his soon to be former friend. The kid's mom thanked him for doing it because she's wanted to do that for ages.

He has been having to do a lot of weeding out of friends lately. Gave me an opportunity to discuss wheat and chaff.

brianthephysicist

You're so amazing.  Thanks for your wonderful example and happy mother's day.  

Every time you post about Zach I'm always reminded of the story of the shepherd who leaves behind the 99 to search out the 1 lost sheep.  I hope I can learn to love like that.

CatherineM

Lost sheep is a good description. When we were adopting him, we had to get the long form birth certificate from the hospital. We found out that his mom was a patient at the provincial mental hospital at the time. He was premature and almost didn't survive.

There is even a question about whether his low life dad is even his dad. All his brothers are blond, 5'6" or so and no facial hair. He's fast approaching 6'6", has auburn hair, can grow a beard in a week, and has a congenital defect in the way his sternum developed that is supposed to be very genetic. None of his family on either side has it.

To be honest, he looks more like my husband than any of the males in his family. And no, Austin wasn't at the hospital when Zach's mom was. He's never had to be committed to the big house because he's always taken his meds voluntarily.

TheresaThoma

Catherine the more you share about your journey with Zach the more I realize you must have the patience of a saint and a really really really big heart!

CatherineM

Saints don't talk like sailors on leave. I do have lots of patience. I didn't use to. It's because of the head injury. I've been kind of unflappable since then. I guess God knew what he was doing even if I didn't understand it at the time.

CatherineM

So made another salvation trip. He was driving with a friend on Wyaite Ave. which is the cool strip by the University. They rear ended a BMW full of old ladies. BMW is undamaged, but the friends car was totalled. Had to sit with them and wait for the tow truck, etc. Must have been looking at pretty girls and didn't stop in time.

CatherineM

Another big hurdle today. He was called to testify against the woman he was with with the night he got arrested. The guy had pled guilty because he was 25 and had priors. Zach was 16 and a first offender so it went juvenile and was adjudicated a year ago. The woman pled not guilty and then got pregnant so it delayed everything.

This was the first time Zach had been face to face with the man he hurt. His whole body was shaking. I told him this is part of the consequences of his actions. Never hurt anyone again, and you never have to look someone in the face you've hurt. He survived it, but it took a big chocolate milk afterwards.

6 more months and he clears probation. A couple of more years, and his record gets erased. As long as he never forgets that mans face.

You are a tough but loving mamma, Catherine.

Holding both of you in prayer tonight....