An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community Accepts Those With Disabilities

Gabriela

I just learned of this community—Community of the Epiphany in Florida—and thought some here might be interested to know of it.

I see in their photos a woman with Down's Syndrome, and I know that they are allowing a visit from someone with Asperger's. They take people with learning disabilities as well.

God bless!

OnlySunshine

This community, however, is non-Catholic.  They were estranged from the diocese they are in and disbanded.  They are under the same kind of community as the disbanded group in Omaha, NE.

OnlySunshine

In 2010 Bishop Dewane formally dissolved "The Community of the Epiphany" as a public association of the faithful.

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry! I did not know!

MODS: Get rid of this thread, please!!!

No, the community is Catholic. They were not disbanded, but made non-canonical, so they could develop, since they moved to fast. They are in contact with their Bishop and are in union with Rome.

These facts can be verified by contacting the Diocese of Venice.

I will be visiting them soon.

Edited by savvy

The community went too fast, which can be detrimental to a charism's development. They have certain responsibilities as a private association. The foundress recognized her predicament, and asked to be restored to non-canonial status, which permits them to evolve toward a more efficient way of life.

Once they have expanded in numbers, and their constitutions are what they want, they will return to recognition.

They are certainly in communion with Rome. The foundress and her Bishop are working on this.

They are not heterodox or nuns on the bus.

P.S, I am not sure what happened to the formatting in my previous post.

Sorry for my freak-out. It's just that there's that rule on the VS...   :unsure:

That's okay. We tend to be suspicious of things we do not understand.

They are under the same kind of community as the disbanded group in Omaha, NE.

This was a different case, that should not be used to judge everybody else. The Intercessors refused to co-operate with the church. This community IS working with the church.

This was a different case, that should not be used to judge everybody else. The Intercessors refused to co-operate with the church. This community IS working with the church.

beatitude

Thank you for clarifying, Savvy. I was  going to point out that 'non-canonical' is not necessarily the same as 'non-Catholic', but I didn't have all these details.

Aaah.. I apologize for the double posts. My computer is slow or this site is slow. :)

Thank you for clarifying, Savvy. I was  going to point out that 'non-canonical' is not necessarily the same as 'non-Catholic', but I didn't have all these details.

No problem. They do have a unique charism, that is much needed in the church today. They have a school for those with these issues and are working on a college too.