An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community Accepts Those With Disabilities

Gabriela

OnlySunshine

This was a different case, that should not be used to judge everybody else. The Intercessors refused to co-operate with the church. This community IS working with the church.

But the website states that they were dissolved.  That's what I was looking at.  Do you have proof that they are in union?

I'm not trying to discount every order that comes my way.  Please don't think that.

Lilllabettt

the termination of a legal status does not render persons, groups, or communities "non Catholic"or separated from the Church.   There are many Catholic groups that do not have canonical status. My mother's after-Mass ladies lunch group does not have canonical status. That does not mean they are not in union with the Church.

OnlySunshine

the termination of a legal status does not render persons, groups, or communities "non Catholic"or separated from the Church.   There are many Catholic groups that do not have canonical status. My mother's after-Mass ladies lunch group does not have canonical status. That does not mean they are not in union with the Church.

The term I am focused on is "dissolved."  The website says the community was dissolved in 2010 by the Bishop as a public association of the faithful.  Which means that they are not recognized as a religious community.  I think that dUSt did not want us posting communities like this.  If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Guest Allie

The term I am focused on is "dissolved."  The website says the community was dissolved in 2010 by the Bishop as a public association of the faithful.  Which means that they are not recognized as a religious community.  I think that dUSt did not want us posting communities like this.  If I'm wrong, I apologize.

From this point forward, phatmass shall only be used to promote vocations that have official diocesan approval.

Any post that links to a website, community, or vocation that is not recognized by the Church shall result in a warning. Multiple warning shall result in a ban from phatmass.

Thanks.
-dUSt

I'm wondering if "official diocesan approval" in this case consists of the Bishop working with the community  in continuing to allow them to develop their Charism under his guidance.  Thus the Bishop functions as shepherd and prophet (institutional and charismatic roles) as he allows them to test their vocation. 

dUST's rule is for protection from those who are not under the guidance of the Magisterium  (as I understand it.)

I

I think this might be a middle-ground case where they don't have canonical status but not because the Church disapproves of them. If they're legitimately working toward canonical status... can we still post about them? I mean, wouldn't that be like posting about the Legion of Mary?

dUSt?

But the website states that they were dissolved.  That's what I was looking at.  Do you have proof that they are in union?

The community was established while still in the experimentation stage, when it's supposed to be the other way around. Things moved too fast, so they asked to be made non-canonical. Something the Bishop is fully aware of.

Someone who knows them, confirmed that they are in union with Rome. I was also told to contact the Vocation director at the Diocese of Venice.

I had the same doubts. I will be in a better situation to explain things, after I visit them.

OnlySunshine

I think this might be a middle-ground case where they don't have canonical status but not because the Church disapproves of them. If they're legitimately working toward canonical status... can we still post about them? I mean, wouldn't that be like posting about the Legion of Mary?

dUSt?

I don't know.  I asked a mod's opinion but none have responded yet.  :(

None the less..I think whatever the legal/religious is...letting people know a community such as this is out there for those that may relate to these aspects is meant for the positive; More of these communities (once they have everything done and in line with the Catholic Church that is required) would greatly fill a need for discerner's out there !! Just my perspective!

ChristinaTherese

One quick comment: Asperger's is is not a disability. It is a difference, and a difference that does not have to make any particular problems. I say this because I am diagnosed as having it, and am able to function just as well as anyone else at school. Maybe I don't hang around social stuff as much, but I still have friends, etc. and look like a normal person.

Okay, rant over. Just, please, don't say that AS is a disability or anything like that, because it's not.

littlesister

Since the group in Omaha came up, there is some good news.  A remnant of the original Intercessors of the Lamb (nine at the moment) were helped greatly by their bishop after the breakup.   They have now re-formed as the Brides of the Victorious Lamb, a Private Association of the Faithful.  They have a nice boue and white habit, and reside at St. Mary's Convent.   Their website is almost complete.   The priests have been assigned to local parishes, and the brothers seem to have dispersed completely to seek God's will wherever he may lead them.

One quick comment: Asperger's is is not a disability. It is a difference, and a difference that does not have to make any particular problems. I say this because I am diagnosed as having it, and am able to function just as well as anyone else at school. Maybe I don't hang around social stuff as much, but I still have friends, etc. and look like a normal person.

Okay, rant over. Just, please, don't say that AS is a disability or anything like that, because it's not.

Christina, I have Aspergers too and am very high functioning. It is listed as an autism specturm disorder, as classified as a disability. I am very verbal too, but struggles with depression and anxiety make it harder for me. 

Nobody with aspergers is exactly the same.

Most people wouldn't know if they met me, but it takes me a big longer to do things that might come naturally to someone else. It's a lot more with the basic stuff than with the academic stuff. 

I have had communities that have told me they cannot accept me. The communities that were open realized that I was a bit slower than them in everyday tasks, do they did not think, I would cope well in a fast-paced environment.

Discovering this community has been a true blessing and if they accept me it will be a miracle. Since, every community kept telling me, "you have a calling, just not here."

Edited by savvy

ChristinaTherese

Christina, I have Aspergers too and am very high functioning. It is listed as an autism specturm disorder, as classified as a disability. I am very verbal too, but struggles with depression and anxiety make it harder for me. 

Nobody with aspergers is exactly the same.

Most people wouldn't know if they met me, but it takes me a big longer to do things that might come naturally to someone else. It's a lot more with the basic stuff than with the academic stuff. 

I have had communities that have told me they cannot accept me. The communities that were open realized that I was a bit slower than them in everyday tasks, do they did not think, I would cope well in a fast-paced environment.

Discovering this community has been a true blessing and if they accept me it will be a miracle. Since, every community kept telling me, "you have a calling, just not here."

That makes sense, and I definitely understand that not everyone with AS is the same. I'm pretty slow (even with things I do well), so I can quite understand how I wouldn't necessarily be accepted some places because of that either.

I was just probably overreacting because sometimes people don't seem to understand things at all, and I've heard someone call it Asperger's Disease once. So, yeah.... :sorry:

That makes sense, and I definitely understand that not everyone with AS is the same. I'm pretty slow (even with things I do well), so I can quite understand how I wouldn't necessarily be accepted some places because of that either.

I was just probably overreacting because sometimes people don't seem to understand things at all, and I've heard someone call it Asperger's Disease once. So, yeah.... :sorry:

No offense intended, CT. For many people, though, AS is a disability. It really hinders their daily functioning. That is not the case for everyone, of course.

beatitude

I have AS too, along with a couple of other unrelated conditions. It's a disability. I need support with daily living because of it. I think it would be very difficult to argue that it's not a disability, since the whole point of the diagnostic criteria is that you have trouble with certain things. You could go with a more social model of disability (which I'm happy to do) and argue that the disability is caused by a society that isn't creative and adaptive enough in response to people's individual needs and impairments - but those impairments still exist.

Christina, even if you are an autistic person who doesn't need any support, I'm uncomfortable with the way you react to the word 'disability', almost as though it's something offensive. Very severely disabled people can 'function just as well as anybody else at school' - at my university there is an absolutely brilliant PhD student who is completely blind and who also has rheumatoid arthritis that restricts her mobility. She is quite obviously disabled, but she is one of the best students in the department and she's won all kinds of scholarships and prizes. One of my best friends is profoundly autistic, to the point where she needs twenty-four hour care and support, but she also has her own gifts and wants to go to art college. The whole 'I'm different, not disabled!' thing is a little insulting to people who have more serious problems than you have, because it implies that there is something bad about being like them.

Saying 'Asperger's disease' is factually incorrect, as it it's a neurodevelopmental disorder, not a disease. Medically they are two different things. But it's not really offensive, just ignorant and annoying. It's only offensive if you think there is something bad about having a disease. I get that people's ignorance can be frustrating, and I myself have suffered due to disability discrimination in employment and housing. It gets very tempting to want to prove yourself to these people by showing that you are not how they think. But a better approach would be to challenge what they think, showing that it isn't right to think about anybody in that way, rather than trying to demonstrate that you are different - as though they have a right to even be setting these prejudiced standards in the first place. :)

Edited by beatitude

I have AS too, along with a couple of other unrelated conditions. It's a disability. I need support with daily living because of it. I think it would be very difficult to argue that it's not a disability, since the whole point of the diagnostic criteria is that you have trouble with certain things. You could go with a more social model of disability (which I'm happy to do) and argue that the disability is caused by a society that isn't creative and adaptive enough in response to people's individual needs and impairments - but those impairments still exist.

Christina, even if you are an autistic person who doesn't need any support, I'm uncomfortable with the way you react to the word 'disability', almost as though it's something offensive. Very severely disabled people can 'function just as well as anybody else at school' - at my university there is an absolutely brilliant PhD student who is completely blind and who also has rheumatoid arthritis that restricts her mobility. She is quite obviously disabled, but she is one of the best students in the department and she's won all kinds of scholarships and prizes. One of my best friends is profoundly autistic, to the point where she needs twenty-four hour care and support, but she also has her own gifts and wants to go to art college. The whole 'I'm different, not disabled!' thing is a little insulting to people who have more serious problems than you have, because it implies that there is something bad about being like them.

Saying 'Asperger's disease' is factually incorrect, as it it's a neurodevelopmental disorder, not a disease. Medically they are two different things. But it's not really offensive, just ignorant and annoying. It's only offensive if you think there is something bad about having a disease. I get that people's ignorance can be frustrating, and I myself have suffered due to disability discrimination in employment and housing. It gets very tempting to want to prove yourself to these people by showing that you are not how they think. But a better approach would be to challenge what they think, showing that it isn't right to think about anybody in that way, rather than trying to demonstrate that you are different - as though they have a right to even be setting these prejudiced standards in the first place.  :)

Thanks for sharing, Beatitude, I live with my parents. It's mostly a cultural thing in my case. I do not require assisted living, but I do need reminders, about paying bills, doing chores etc. I function better with stability and a time-table, which conflicts with my profession as a journalist. it's a complex situation, where I have to be very selective about the assignments I pick.

I also get upset if I have to do something on the spot, get up and go somewhere, without being told before, since I need to mentally prepare myself. I like my trips planned. I also do not like animals that move too fast, because I cannot predict what they are going to do next.

The Jerusalem sisters told me that in my case, they cannot rule out religious life, but they also cannot tell me where I might fit in. I have to figure this out myself.