An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm Back To Vocation Station!

Annie12

PhuturePriest

I definitely second the171's advice. I was such a mess in terms of discernment before my spiritual director. I was all about feelings with no intellectual thought. My spiritual director is such a practical man, and he taught me the value of thinking about things through and not jumping straight into things. I'm definitely still learning, but he has been so proud of me recently in my discernment, and that really means a lot to me. Spiritual directors help you in your discernment, are someone you can look up to as a role model, and preferably even become a good friend like mine has. You could benefit so much from having one. Everyone could, discerning or not.

To Jesus Through Mary

Annie. Get an SD.

Yes. Seriously. I really cannot stress this enough. With all the confusion you have going on with your discernment, you should really speak with someone who is equipped to handle this and would know the whole situation. St. Ignatius does give us awesome rules to live by (And I try to use them on a daily) and he also tells us we need an SD. So with the others I echo, make no change during a time, and speak with an SD before making a rash decision. 

Sister Marie

One of the things I find most helpful about spiritual direction is that my director, a sister from a different community, helps me remember. Remembering is a very important part of discernment. How has God spoken to me before? What did he say? If you are anything like me, you MIT go in circles, relearning and re-experiencing the same things again and again because they just didn't stick. Often my SDwill remind me of how wonderfully God has worked before and also of how I have failed before. Annie, every time you post it seems to be the same dilemma. I'm not criticizing you, I do the same thing, it's human nature to operate in one way. God is probably trying to call you out of that into more trust and growth but often,at least in my case, we need a companion to help us- a spiritual director. Don't waste anymore time without one if you can help it. I'll pray you can find someone!

BTW, Annie12, I don't know where you live, but if there are any cloistered Passionists around, they often offer spiritual direction. Just in case you don't know where to look, I thought I'd mention it!