An Old School Catholic Message Board

Norbertine Nuns Finally Move Into Monastery

DameAgnes

Hurrah! Three of my friends from university are Norbertine Canons in England, so I've heard all about this community from them. It's so encouraging to see them doing so well.

(Also, they started off living in caravans as dormitories, so I'm sure that two to a cell is a big step towards their ideal of solitude.)

maximillion

When I first entered, we novices slept in a dormitory.

It was in my second year in the noviciate that hardwood boards were brought in and room dividers made.

inperpetuity

I can't see two in a room, there must be some explanation for those two beds being there.

Chiquitunga

maybe one of the guestrooms was all they could show on camera since the cells would be in the enclosure. just a guess. I was also confused by the two beds..

Edited by Chiquitunga

It's actually not that uncommon in some communities, although not the ideal.  What might be in there (and yet not up yet) are curtains to divide the two 'half-cells' -- that was pretty common at one point.

Up until Vatican II, I believe most Trappist communities slept in dormatories with curtains.... I recall seeing some photos and wondering how they kept from driving each other MAD.....

I'm pretty sure the postulants and novices in Nashville start out in a dorm with curtains, too.

My sister is a Novice there, and the pictures are of the Sister's cells, which are going to be two to a room. She told us why, but I can't remember the exact reason. My sister said that one of the things you sacrifice when you enter religious life is personal space, so... God bless 'em, 'cause I think I would go crazy.   :)

inperpetuity

Thank you for that clarification, LLFrances, I was thinking about visiting them, but now....

You still could! If that's where God wants you to be, He'll give you the graces to survive whatever living conditions that present themselves ;) I'm kinda half-way secretly discerning that maybe I'm possibly called there, but we shall see :)

My sister is a Novice there, and the pictures are of the Sister's cells, which are going to be two to a room. She told us why, but I can't remember the exact reason. My sister said that one of the things you sacrifice when you enter religious life is personal space, so... God bless 'em, 'cause I think I would go crazy.   :)

God bless them, indeed. I really couldn't do it. Right now there is enough room for every sister to have a cell, at least the professed ones. Why not only double up novitiate and when it's absolutely needed. How does these women ever get to be "alone with the Alone." If I were discerning, the doubled-up rooms would be a deal-breaker for me.