An Old School Catholic Message Board

Norbertine Nuns Finally Move Into Monastery

DameAgnes

My mom reminded me that they do that in order to remain detached from possesiveness of "my cell". Since they take the vow of poverty and therefore have very little, there is always a danger that even the smallest and most insignificant things can be held too closely. Since the Sisters own such a large property there is plenty of space for them to be alone, which they certainly utilize; taking walks, sitting by the lake, and praying the rosary under the stars (my Sister sister's favorite). They may not have the privacy of their own cell, but none of them seem to mind, and are even grateful that there's less temptation to become attached. :)

Chiquitunga

My mom reminded me that they do that in order to remain detached from possesiveness of "my cell". Since they take the vow of poverty and therefore have very little, there is always a danger that even the smallest and most insignificant things can be held too closely. Since the Sisters own such a large property there is plenty of space for them to be alone, which they certainly utilize; taking walks, sitting by the lake, and praying the rosary under the stars (my Sister sister's favorite). They may not have the privacy of their own cell, but none of them seem to mind, and are even grateful that there's less temptation to become attached. :)

Thanks for sharing that with us! That is interesting. I know in Carmel they do this, try to prevent the Nuns from becoming attached to a cell, by switching from cell to cell every few weeks - at least I know for sure in Dallas they do. They also never use the word "my" or "mine" etc. always "our" :like:  But definitely for Carmelites they need their own cell for solitude, which is written clearly in the Rule of St. Albert.

But yeah, so each spirituality/community, etc. has its own way :)

Edited by Chiquitunga

What a beautiful video.  I haven't looked at their website yet but it seems that the Mass is offered in the extraordinary form.  

To Jesus Through Mary

Honestly I used to think that also before, but when I was in it really didn't bother me. And in the Novitiate it was bunk beds (up to 5 bunks in a room)... I dunno God gave us a special grace. I really thought I couldn't give up my space, but it didn't phase me much after a few days. It really was part of the poverty thing. It also helped me learn how to be alone with Christ in the cloister of my heart. 

inperpetuity

Honestly I used to think that also before, but when I was in it really didn't bother me. And in the Novitiate it was bunk beds (up to 5 bunks in a room)... I dunno God gave us a special grace. I really thought I couldn't give up my space, but it didn't phase me much after a few days. It really was part of the poverty thing. It also helped me learn how to be alone with Christ in the cloister of my heart. 

That must be it.  I have to think that anyone who is willing to be that generous with Our Lord would be well paid.  And it's not like all of them came straight from a large family with 5 kids to a room.  Some of them lived on their own and had successful careers before joining them.  I guess you would just have to re-program yourself to think, the cell is not for privacy, but for sleep, and the lake or the woods or somewhere outdoors is.  Hey, I wonder if they could make a little schedule between roomates like you can have the cell between 3&4 on MWF, etc.?  That could work.  Well, I guess it's also, if you have the vocation, the grace will be there.  And, silence helps.

• 2 weeks later...
inperpetuity

You still could! If that's where God wants you to be, He'll give you the graces to survive whatever living conditions that present themselves ;) I'm kinda half-way secretly discerning that maybe I'm possibly called there, but we shall see :)

I just received an email from them telling me that the dates I asked for in October were open, but I told them I just wanted a private retreat.  So, yeah, kinda half-way secretly discerning from a distance sort of.  I would prefer not to join an order in California, but I'm trying to be open and forget this preference because I know God calls where and when He wills.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email from them telling me that the dates I asked for in October were open, but I told them I just wanted a private retreat. So, yeah, kinda half-way secretly discerning from a distance sort of. I would prefer not to join an order in California, but I'm trying to be open and forget this preference because I know God calls where and when He wills.

Whoops. Sorry about the above post... I'm not really technologically savvy...
Anyway... Good for you! It seems so simple to be open to God's Will, but it's soooo not. I like to think it makes Him happy that we even try, and that He takes into consideration some of our preferences and natural tendencies :) But I don't know. I'm going to visit in two weeks, I'll pray for you while I'm there! :)

• 4 months later...

According to the newsletter, 'each of our shared cells are furnished with two sets of simple wooden furniture designed and built by our sisters'.

I know Carmelite communities put emphasis on having solitude in the cell, but it may not be the same for all others...

The Dominicans in Ann Arbor also switch cells every few months to avoid attachment.  From what I was told it's quite an undertaking because of all of the sisters that need to move.