An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

Antigonos... how is your friend and her family doing -- the one with the cancer diagnosis.  I continue to pray the Psalms for her and her family...

At the present, she is in a course of chemotherapy which she is tolerating fairly well.  It is too early to know whether it is affecting the cancer in any significant way.  My husband, who is a taxi driver, often takes her to Hadassah hospital where she gets her therapy and says she seems to be in good spirits. Thanks for asking.

If Indwelling Trinity is keeping up with the forum, please be aware I am praying for her and when the weather is better, I'll put another "pitka" in the Western Wall for her recovery.

I hope your friend's family continues to do OK with this as well.... serious illness shakes everyone, but most especially the most vulnerable among us.

Occasionally IT will come on the chat or post, and if I see her, I will pass on your message -- as I am sure, will all of us who see your message, Antigonos.

And Gratian, sorry for the :hijack:   Sorry!  :paperbag:  AnneLine

Edited by AnneLine

graciandelamadrededios

I almost said something myself, but hoped it would just be buried in postings on this thread.  

The Carmelite monastery there was CLOSED and REMOVED, and apologies, profuse apologies, have been offered.   For the reasons that both BarbaraTherese and Antigonos stated.   

PLEASE do not continue to post that image, Gratian.  Neither the Church nor the Carmelites want to have those images continue to circulate, Gratian and SilentJoy.  If you have further questions PM me and I will explain further.

Thank you for your Restraint, Antigonos; I can only imagine how hard those photos are for you.  

When it was originally founded, I don't think anyone realized the kind of problem it would create; I think the hope had been that it would be a place of prayer that this might NEVER happen again.  But it was done in a way that many found insensitive.... I knowthe Order wishes it could just erase the whole thing.  

However, as we have all learned, perhaps it is better that we do see reminders from time to time... lest we forget.

----------

Antigonos... how is your friend and her family doing -- the one with the cancer diagnosis.  I continue to pray the Psalms for her and her family...

Hi Anneline,

This photo is for sale at ebay.com.  I simply copied and posted them and I am not staking a claim that this photo in my posession.  As I have mentioned, this photo is "for sale" and this photo is circulating the websites and will continue to circulate as long as the seller post said photo.  So, you mighth as well as email the seller who opted to sell this photos.

You can check them yourself.  The posting of this photo is not to intentionally cause trouble or controversy but a statement of fact that there was a Carmelite Monastery that area.

I have a booklet about the story of this monastery.

If I have offended anyone, be assured that this was never my intention.

Gracian

graciandelamadrededios

I almost said something myself, but hoped it would just be buried in postings on this thread.  

The Carmelite monastery there was CLOSED and REMOVED, and apologies, profuse apologies, have been offered.   For the reasons that both BarbaraTherese and Antigonos stated.   

PLEASE do not continue to post that image, Gratian.  Neither the Church nor the Carmelites want to have those images continue to circulate, Gratian and SilentJoy.  If you have further questions PM me and I will explain further.

Thank you for your Restraint, Antigonos; I can only imagine how hard those photos are for you.  

When it was originally founded, I don't think anyone realized the kind of problem it would create; I think the hope had been that it would be a place of prayer that this might NEVER happen again.  But it was done in a way that many found insensitive.... I knowthe Order wishes it could just erase the whole thing.  

However, as we have all learned, perhaps it is better that we do see reminders from time to time... lest we forget.

----------

Hi Anneline,

This photo is for sale at ebay.com.  I simply copied and posted them and I am not staking a claim that this photo is in my posession.  As I have mentioned, this photo is "for sale" and this photo is circulating the websites and will continue to circulate as long as the seller post said photo.  So, you mighth as well as email the seller who opted to sell this photos (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Press-Photo-Nazi-Death-Camp-Converted-to-Convent-for-Carmelite-Nuns-/390725281890?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5af90aa862)

You can check them yourself.  The posting of this photo is not to intentionally cause trouble or controversy but a statement of fact that there was a Carmelite Monastery that area.

I have a booklet about the story of this monastery.

If I have offended anyone, be assured that this was never my intention.

Gracian

:heart: Gracian, I know that, and thanks for saying that.  I know you didn't intend any disrespect.

And, I didn't intend to single you nor SilentJoy out...sorry if it appeared that way.   :paperbag:  Sometimes internet can be a bad medium for communications.

I just wanted to be sure all of US don't keep whipping up this controversy to the extent WE can keep it from happening.

Sadly, I don't think any of us can deal with anything like this being sold on EBay.... occasionally we can get their attention on things even more serious, but usually, not.  All we can do is not make putting the stuff up profitable for them... by NOT purchasing them....

:heart: all of you....

graciandelamadrededios

:heart: Gracian, I know that, and thanks for saying that.  I know you didn't intend any disrespect.

And, I didn't intend to single you nor SilentJoy out...sorry if it appeared that way.   :paperbag:  Sometimes internet can be a bad medium for communications.

I just wanted to be sure all of US don't keep whipping up this controversy to the extent WE can keep it from happening.

Sadly, I don't think any of us can deal with anything like this being sold on EBay.... occasionally we can get their attention on things even more serious, but usually, not.  All we can do is not make putting the stuff up profitable for them... by NOT purchasing them....

:heart: all of you....

Hello Anneline,

Be assured that it was not my intention "whipping up" this controversial topic, hence I refrained from making any comments when posting the pics.  The headline of the photo is not from me but from the seller -  in case this is not very obvious.

Though I am very well-informed of what happened to this very controversial Carmel, I did not open any topics related to this.  

You are right, we cannot control the individual who decided to sell the photos online.  It is their private property and they can do whatever they want do with said photo - which include selling them.  Don't worry, I have no intention of buying this particular photo though I am very interested in other Photos of Carmelite Nuns that are offered on ebay.com for sale but sadly, I could not afford them, so I just copied the photos and saved them on my laptop.

Merry Christmas to all!  Peace to all!

Gracian

graciandelamadrededios

I would like to share the following information from a book I read entitled:

FRANCES NEVINS

Mid 20th Century Carmelite

Friend, Scholar, Wife, Nun and Mystic

J.M.+J.T.

MONASTERY OF DISCALCED CARMELITES

428 DUANE AVENUE

SCHENECTADY 4, NEW YORK

Pax Christi!

November 14, 1960

Dear Frances,

We just received the final permission needed from Our Superior to admit you among the Choir Sisters.  Today being the fest of “All the Saints of Carmel” we hasten to send you the good news.

Reverend Mother has set the date for November 21st feast of Our Lady’s Presentation.  Can you make it for(not sure of the handwriting of the nun) then?  Only seven more days left!  Its quite a short notice at any time.

Welcome to Carmel, dear Frances.  It is nice to think that All the Saints of Carmel are to present another little soul to Our Blessed Mother on her feast day.

Enclosed you will find a list of articles to bring.  It isn’t necessary to buy anything that isn’t specified on the list.

May God Bless you and give you all the graces necessary for the big step you are about to take.

We shall keep you in our prayers.

Yours humbly in Our Lord,

For Reverend Mother Prioress

+

My dear Child,

We just received your permission.  Today is the feast of “All Saints of Carmel” so it looks   as though your new family in Heaven is taking you into their keeping.  May God be praised!

Frances, I forgot to tell you when you were here, that $200.00 novitiate expense money is required, besides the dowry stipulated by Canon Law.

Mother Mistress would like you to come on the 21st.  I hope you can be ready on such short notice.  A warm welcome awaits you, our dear Frances.

Yours humbly in Our Lord,

Mother M. Magdalen of the Holy Ghost, D.C.

If you have to buy a Bible buy the New Catholic Edition of the Holy Bible

A small crucifix, 3” or 4” long

Daily Missal in Latin and English

Following of Christ by Thomas A’Kempis

6 cotton underwear – night gown – towels – wash clothes

6 pr. of brown cotton stockings

2 pr. of low heel shoes

1 pr. of rubber and overshoes (I am not sure if I got the correct spelling on this)

3 cotton and 3 flannelette sheets

3 woolen blankets

A shawl (if you have one)

Darning cotton, brown and white

Any sewing articles you may have

Small scissors

Large pr. of shears

An alarm clock

Toothbrushes and toothpaste

Pocket pen-knife

Note: these requirements are from the 1960's and each Carmel may require different sets of clothing and things since each country differs in terms of climate and culture.

Same for Customs that I have posted previously, each Carmels nowadays, formulate their own customary as specified in the documents of Vatican II.  Before Vatican II, the Nuns founded from French Carmels or Spanish Carmels have different customs due to the fact that these two countries were at constant odds with each other and it trickled to the religious communities.  I still find both customs faithful to the spirit of St. Teresa who was noted largely for her common sense.  Also, the custom may differ from Italian Carmels, German Carmels and even Polish Carmels.  Even among French Carmels, there are some minor differences in customs and observances as one French-Canadian Nuns observed while she was staying at Seattle Carmel - she was on her way to the Philippines to found a Carmel.

graciandelamadrededios

The majority of Carmels in the Philippines can trace their origin to the Carmel of Lisieux.

2 Carmels in Davao were founded by two French-Canadian Mothers.

Naga Carmel was founded by two American Mothers.

graciandelamadrededios
Another interesting book I would like to share:

The Roots of Teresa's Nuns in the Philippines Vol 1 and 2 was written by Sr. Mary Teresa, OCD of Lipa Carmel.

We are forever thankful to the American Mothers since Baltimore Carmel contributed two Nuns from Naga foundation: Sr. Aloysius of the Passion and Sr. John of Jesus and Mary.  They went to live in Manila Carmel and eventually went to Jaro Carmel but there stay did not last long - the two American Nuns had misunderstanding with the French Prioress, Mother Mary of Christ who has a very dominant personality.  Mother Teresa asked the two Nuns to go back to Manila and they stayed until the foundation of Naga Carmel started.  Mother Mary Magdalene, the Prioress of Baltimore Carmel wanted to join the two American Nuns in Naga but the Bishop (of Boston) did not allow her.  

An excerpt of the letter to the Nuns from Fr. Thomas Kilduff, OCD:

"First of all, remember that the French have always been a little more rigid in their interpretation of the Constitutions than others.  Sometimes, however, I cannot help admiring their spirit of penance and wishing we had a little more of it... We Americans are not accustomed to doing things the hard way.  In fact, our monastic life here in this country is altogether too comfortable.  there is hardly a modern convenience that we lack.  For this reason we find it difficult in the Missions, whereas the European adapts himself more easily...  My point here is that perhaps judging the whole thing by the standards of the Philippines, the Nuns in Iloilo are not half as narrow as we think...  While I readily appreciate the difficulties and privations that are to be encountered in the Philippines, I do think it is providential that you have had a chance to see how others are living in the mission before thinking a foundation of our own.  Don't take too critical an attitude towards Mother Mary and the others.  They have an entirely different background.  They were the religious who were heroic enough to go out to the Philippines where our American Nuns turned down the invitation."

Note:  
Jaro is in Iloilo province
I am not sure if these books are available in the US for sale but some libraries might have them.

graciandelamadrededios

Photo of German Discalced Carmelite Nuns with the future Novice wearing a wedding dress:

81676203328029817255.jpg

Without the Scapular - interesting toque:

33222174532810174623.jpg

The Prioress and Novice Mistress putting on the leather cincture on her waist:

33545232623109204496.jpg

Pinning her scapular so it wont move around - her smile is priceless:

33650314014616088662.jpg

33777298350834494177.jpg

37376997667869705201.jpg

37555174234786771859.jpg

37614377901193777595.jpg

46283635012335031259.jpg

I hope Chiqui would love these photos, this is for you my dear friend....

graciandelamadrededios

Photos from http://karmel.gniezno.pl/:

Kopia-P1390539.JPG

Nice detail on the day veil - similar to Spanish Carmelites

Kopia-P1390521.JPG

Novices does not wear "shirred" or "gathered" veil but Spanish Carmelite does

DSCN2323.JPG

P1290182.JPG

The choir is small but very beautiful

P1600641.JPG

DSCN4179.JPG

DSCN4176.JPG

The Novice' crown of flowers is very beautiful!

graciandelamadrededios

http://karmel.gniezno.pl/pl/galeria-zdjec/obloczyny-s-marii-lucyny-od-chrystusa-zmartwychwstalego/

Photos from Gniezno Carmel in Poland:

P1620508.JPG

11.06.24-86.JPG

P1620824.JPG

11.06.24-29.JPG

11.06.24-99.JPG

The crown of flowers is just marvelous!

graciandelamadrededios

P1260366-1.JPG

P1260375-1.JPG

Mother Prioress, Novice and Mother Novice Mistress

Zdjecie0316.jpg