An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

Chiquitunga

My dear friend Chiqui

I hope you like the photo below, knowing how much you love the Spanish Style Habit of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns and I think they are wearing wool too!

Gracian

2urau07.jpg

Praised be Jesus Christ! Thank you so much Gracian! That's a beautiful picture! I looked it up and see it's from the Cervera del Río Alhama (1990) Carmel in Spain, http://www.carmelitaniscalzi.com/direcciones/monjas/constituciones-1990?paginador_direcciones_publica_page=11

http://primeroseducadores.blogspot.com/2013/09/ideas-claras.html

And thanks for all the other interesting information on Carmel you've shared here :like:

those pins look like they could keep the scapular on in a hurricane...

:lol:

Chiquitunga

Thank you all for such beautiful photos and posts.Carmelite nuns are so special to me.

Hi Carla!! I've really enjoyed reading your beautiful conversion and vocation story in your thread! so inspiring!  So just wondering, I bet you have, but have you ever heard about Edita Majić now Sr. Edita Marija in Avila? http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109813-croatian-actress-professes-solemn-vows-in-avila/  I love her story so much!!! and in one of those articles, it's says another girl from Split when to San Jose in Avila as well :)

Hi Carla!! I've really enjoyed reading your beautiful conversion and vocation story in your thread! so inspiring!  So just wondering, I bet you have, but have you ever heard about Edita Majić now Sr. Edita Marija in Avila? http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109813-croatian-actress-professes-solemn-vows-in-avila/  I love her story so much!!! and in one of those articles, it's says another girl from Split when to San Jose in Avila as well :)

Chiquitunga thank you for your kind words and support.Of course i have heard for this story this story is so inspirational:). I love Carmelite orders so much.Last weekend i have visit one of their monasteries close to my home.This trip has been very inspirational for me,to see this kind of totally devotion to God.For now i discerning my vocation in one of the open orders that teach children in catholic school.I'm not sure will i able to stand that kind of cloister life.But in my process of vacation i open to Jesus and and praying a lot.And i will follow any decision or path that he show me.My heart is totally open to vocation:) And if you need any translation about Edita Majić be free to contact me .

God bless you

• 2 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

Genealogy of Monasteries of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Brazil:

upload_8oFRvV1S266OS1Zq8cF0Kmk6l.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

A Custom of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns - crucifix pinned under the Scapular:

726.2239.jpg

Ffotogallery-Exhibition-Lili-Almog-Siste

2008BU3001_jpg_ds.jpg

Photos taken by Lili Almog for her book: Perfect Intimacy

• 1 month later...
graciandelamadrededios
Tour of the Bismarck Diocese's new Carmelite Monastery

On April 26, 2014, five nuns originally from the Discalced Carmelites of Alexandria, SD were enclosed in their new monastery northeast of Hague, ND. These photos provide a tour of the new monastery, officially named "Carmel of the Holy Face of Jesus."

Websites provided by Chiqui

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.706308432749352.1073741859.421263834587148&type=1&stream_ref=10

10302057_706308552749340_331302096718174

Mother Mary Baptist demonstrates the clappers used to wake the nuns each day.

1975274_706308622749333_9019952177095910

The nuns drink from two-handled cups, which reminds them to be child-like (as children often drink with two hands) in their trust in the Lord.

10313587_706308616082667_112579713935021

The area where the sisters dine is called the refectory. It gets its name from the Latin word meaning "refreshing." The refectory includes a skull, which serves as a reminder of how this brief life passes and of what little value one should place on passing joys.

10173524_706308756082653_632402157313123

10291090_706308782749317_806159208172963

The sisters' rooms are called cells, which comes from the Latin word "cella," meaning "small room."

10295784_706308799415982_540505077167975

A cross hangs in each cell at the monastery. The crosses don't contain the body of Jesus (the "corpus") to remind the sisters that they should sacrifice their own lives to God just as Christ did.

988873_706309612749234_32996639215471767

When a visitor approaches, a nun recites the greeting, "Praised by Jesus Christ!" The visitor responds, "Now and forever!"

10312374_706308996082629_493622972208989

Mother Mary Baptist shows Bishop Kagan the key he will use to lock the sisters inside the monastery. On April 26, the sisters were officially "cloistered" in the new monastery, meaning that they remain in enclosure, not leaving the monastery except for rare occasions, such as a medical appointment. The enclosure allows the sisters to more readily live a life of complete prayer and silence, being alone with God and constantly praying for others.

graciandelamadrededios

Someone has asked here, but I forgot which thread, about the Customs of Carmelite Nuns when a Sister wants to speak to the Mother Prioress:

1. The Prioress has her own space or office where she occupies to exercise her duties of superior of the house (apart from her cell) - a custom retained after Vatican II for practical reasons.

2.  There is no coded knock used on the door of the office of the Prioress; one just knocks.

3.  The greetings are the same when you meet the Mother Prioress on the hallway; greeting her with "Praised be Jesus Christ" and her reply is "Now and forever."  I read on the Book of Exactions that when you meet the Prioress, the first time during the day, the Sister kneels and kiss her (Prioress') Scapular.  Some monasteries might have dropped these practices but may have been retained by some.

4. Before Vatican II, Mother Prioress was addressed as "Your Reverence", while the Sister is addressed "Your Charity" - a custom that might still be in effect in some traditional monasteries.  Common way of addressing each other nowadays is by using the word "You" just like in the secular world.

5. Customs vary from one monastery to another even before Vatican II, the commonalities perhaps, is that the Customs before Vatican II was more formal.  Nowadays, the customs are geared towards simplicity and informality - the hallmark of Christ ministry.

I am still waiting for the reply of other Prioresses and I will share what I found out.

Sources:  Prioresses of various Discalced Carmelite Monasteries

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

UPDATE: Customs of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns when a Sister wants to speak to the Mother Prioress (from a 1990 Carmel):

1. There is always a separate room for the Office of the Mother Prioress

2. Just knock at her door and when she replies "Deo Gratias" (Thanks be to God) it means the Sister can enter the room.  This custom is found on the Paper of Exactions translated from French to English in the Lisieux Archives Website.

Hope this help to the lady who is writing a novel about Carmel.

I am still waiting for a couple of replies from other monasteries and I will share them as soon as receive the emails.

Chiquitunga

Praised be Jesus Christ! Gracian, here was where that was asked, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129645-the-carmelites-day/page-5#entry2665912 Thanks for getting that confirmation for us/Teresa Mary that this is what is done for the Prioress in her Office as well, at least in some Carmels, like the one you consulted above. Always interesting to learn about such customs :like:

graciandelamadrededios

Praised be Jesus Christ! Gracian, here was where that was asked, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129645-the-carmelites-day/page-5#entry2665912 Thanks for getting that confirmation for us/Teresa Mary that this is what is done for the Prioress in her Office as well, at least in some Carmels, like the one you consulted above. Always interesting to learn about such customs :like:

Thanks Chiqui!

I have been off this forum for sometime.  I had to seriously work on my research and I have been doing a lot of reading new books and re-reading the books I already have to refresh my memory.

• 4 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

Carmelite Customs nowadays are no longer uniform.  The Discalced Carmelite Order never published a Ceremonial for Nuns after Vatican II.  As per documents after Vatican II, Each community was asked to discern which custom to retain or discard.  Each community can formulate their own house statutes or directory.  Hence, the custom of each Carmel vary from one to another.  I would assume that 1990 Carmels and some conservative 1991 Carmels retains the more traditional form of the Carmelite Customs.  A group of Discalced Carmelite Nuns from Spain, probably spearheaded by the Association founded by Mother Maravillas published a Ceremonial in Spanish (to suplement the 1990 Text) and it was given to me by Mother Prioress  of a 1990 US Carmel since they have no use for it – non of their Sisters spoke Spanish.  

However, before Vatican II, the Order published various Ceremonials, Manuals, etc, whenever a new Code of Canon Law takes effect.  All Carmels are bound by obedience to follow the Ceremonial of the Order, hence, the uniformity.

Please refer below chapter on Religious Deportment, Article 8, on how each Sister addressed one another and how they address their Superiors:

CEREMONIAL

OF THE

DISCALCED NUNS

OF THE

BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

OF

MOUNT CARMEL

PRELIMINARY CHAPTER

RELIGIOUS DEPORTMENT

1. The Nuns being obliged by their profession to keep their interior life well-ordered, should regulate their exterior as to give evidence of the order within.  Therefore, it seems useful to give certain rules on this subject before explaining the laws and ceremonies which govern the exercises of piety and the acts of Community life.

2. The rules of perfect exterior deportment are comprised in the following points: 1st. To avoid all gestrues and anything offensive to religious modesty, for example, when speaking not to move the head or the hands; 2nd. To observe in all thins the just measure dictated by this same religious modesty; for example, not looking fixedly at persons, especially Superiors, - not laughing immoderately and without real cause, - not swinging the arms when walking, not letting them hang down, but rather holding the hands, when not employed, modestly under the scapular, - not crossing the legs or feet, - having the countenance always calm and humble, and alike with all, - not letting the eys wander here and there, but keeping them modestly lowered, - not stretching the members, not, as far as possible, yawning or making other movements which denote laziness, or, when unavoidable, observing moderation so that others may not be annoyed.

3. It is not proper when speaking with a Nun to hold her by the scapular or girdle.  It shows little solidity to play with the key or with one's own girdle.  The manner of walking should be neither too slow nor too hurried, but always moderate, always suited to circumstances.  The hands or the face of another should not be touched, except through necessity, this being a sign of levity rather than holy friendship.  The Nuns when sitting should keep their feet together and covered with the habit, particularly in the Choir and at other Community acts which demand greater attention and respect.  Likewise, it is well in speaking with another not to approach too close as this may cause annoyance.

4.  Custody of the tongue requires that the Nuns speak with moderate voice, not in a harsh or an excited tone, that they speak little and be brief in their conversation, particularly in the presence of seniors, showing a desire to learn rather than to teach, - that they do not interrupt one another, and much less Superiors, - that they do not contend or show obstinacy in maintaining their opinion, - that they avoid vain talk, such as of one's birth or the esteem in which one wa held, and flattery, affected compliments, etc.: these things being unbecoming in the mouth of a Religious.  They should not addresss a Nuns from a distance, nor call her with gestures.

5.  Particular attention should be pain to charity in all conversation, speaking well of everyone, especially of the absent, and abstaining entirely from all cutting or mortifying words: this rule is imposed on all by the law of charity itself.  The Nuns must be equally careful to speak with sincerity, avoiding not only lies, accordking to the divine law, but even the shadow or suspicion of falsehood.  Therefore, they should think a moment before answering a question or affirming a fact, so as not to assert inadvertently one thing for another, or a doubtful thing as certain.

6. A Nuns in speaking with seculars should be serious and reserved, avoiding all familiarity and unnecessary talk, and endeavor to introduce something spiritual and profitalbe to sould.

7. The Nuns when they meet should incline the head and reverently give the salutation of the Order:  the younger saying, Praised be Jesus Christ!, the other answering, Now and forever.

8.  The Nuns in speaking with our Fathers use the title Your Reverence; with the Brothers, Your Charity.  They do the same among themselves, using the first title with the Mothers, and the second with all the rest.  But they should not, in speaking of themselves, say Our Charity, Our Reverence, nor We, but simply, I have done this, I have said that.  They should not call one another simply by the name, but say Mother N. or Sister N.  The Prioress should not be called by her own name but by that of her office, that is, Our Mother Prioress,  or simply Our Mother.  The Sub-prioress also is called by the name of her office; Mother Sub-prioress.  The Novices and the newly professed, as long as they are under the direction of the Mistress, give her the title of Mother and Your Reverence, even though she be only a Sister.  When naming our Father General, the Vicar General, the Procurator General or the Provincial, they say Our Father General, Our Father Vicar General, Our Father Procurator General, or Our Father Provincial.  They say Our Father X fro the Definitors General; these, as well as the ex-Generals and ex-Procurators General, enjoy the title of Our Father during their whole life.

9. Letters sent by post are addressed according to the custom of the roder and of the country.  J+M., or J.M.+J.T., and Pax Christi, or May the Grace of the Holy Spirit be in the sould of Your Reverence!, are written at the head of the letter.  The formula, Your humble servant in Jesus Christ, or, in Christ, or, in Our Lord, or, Your humble sister and servant, is used in the signature; however, to Superior, the signature is Your humble servant and daughter; and even those who have the title of Mother sign Sister N. of N., D.C., adding Prioress, or Sub-prioress, as the case may be.

10. The Nuns on receiving anything, such as clothes,books, etc., from an offical of the Monastery, or from someone else in the name of the Prioress, should incline the head, saying: Benedictus Deus in donis suis.  But if they receive these things from the Prioress herself, they say the same words kneeling and kiss her scapular in token of gratitude.

11.  A Nun on being reproved by the Prioress or Mistress should receive the correction with humility, strike her breast, saying mea culpa, and put her head to the floor until told to rise.  IF the Prioress finds a Nun talking with another in time of silence, or doing something contrary to the Rule, or Constitutions, or to her particular order,  these Nuns, even before they are reproved, should prostrate immediately in acknowledgment of their fault, and not rise until bidden to do so by the Prioress herself.

THE CEROMONIES OBSERVED DURING MEALS

432.   ……. No one should ask, even by sign, for anything that it wanting to her, except water, for which she may ask by pointing o the pitcher.  When something is wanting to one of the Nuns, the one next to her who notices it may make it known to the Server by a sign.

REGULAR CUSTOMS OF THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS

TO SUPPLEMENT THE CONSTITUTIONS AND CEREMONIAL OF THE ORDER

TAKEN FROM

LES USAGES DES CARMELITES DECHAUSEES

PUBLISHED BY THE

DISCALCED CARMELITES OF MONTELIMAR, FRANCE (Pre-Vatican II)

SIGNS

In order to observe silence more perfectly, the Religious will make use of certain signs, to designate the most ordinary things.  This custom dates from the time of our holy Mother, St. Teresa, and has always been maintained in the House of our Order.  The signs will be made as intelligibly as possible, and the Religious will not invent new ones, which would cause distraction to those whom they address. 

The Mother Prioress – Touch the Veil.

The Mother Sub-Prioress – Touch the Toque.

The Mistress of Novices – Touch the Scapular.

The Calvaries – Make a sign as if writing.

The Sacristan – Form a cross with the two forefingers.

The Turn Sister – Form a circle in the palm of the left hand, with the forefinger

of the right hand, as if to designate the Turn.

The Provisor – Close the left hand.

The Infirmarian – Bow the head and place the opened hands on the forehead.

The Vestier – Make a sign as if sewing.

The Cook – With the right hand, make a sign as if cutting something on the

left hand.

The Choir – Raise the hands as if in prayer.

The Chapter Room – Strike the breast two or three times with the opened hand.

Dormitory – Make the sign of sleeping, which is to lean the head a little against

the opened hand.

Refectory – Make the sign as if for bread, namely, a circle by joining the ends of

the thumbs and two forefingers.

The Speak-Room – Make the sign of the Grate, which is, to place the fingers

of one hand over those of the other, leaving an opening

between.

The Humble Office – Place the left hand on the breast.

The Large Veil – Pass the opened hand over the face and person,

as if covering it with a veil.

Scissors – With the index and middle fingers, make the motion of cutting.

A needle – Show a pin, and make with it the motion of sewing.

A cup – Turn the palm of the right hand upward, join the fingers and raise

It to the mouth as if dinking.

A spoon – With the index and middle finger of the right hand, make a motion

as if taking something from the left.

A dish – Open both hands, and bring them together in concave form. 

Water – Make a movement as if pouring a vessel.

Milk – Touch the lips with the little finger.

Butter – Pass the forefinger of the right hand over the palm of the left,

as if you were spreading something. 

Eggs – Show a hand with the ends of the thumb and fingers joined.

The Bell – Make the sign as if ringing.

To ask the hour – Join the two little fingers.

To answer – Show as many fingers as there are hours; for the quarter,

With the forefinger of the right hand touch the first joint

of the forefinger of the left hand; for the half hour, touch

the first and second joints, and for the three quarters

touch the three.

To Beg Pardon – Incline the head and body with the eyes lowered and hands

joined.

To Indicate Silence – Make a cross on the lips with the right thumb. 

To say that the silence Bell has rung – Make the sign of silence

then of the ringing bell.

Confession – Join the fingers of the right hand and strike the breast.

Communion – Gently place the forefinger of the right hand on the end of

the tongue.

Holy Mass – Make the sign of the Cross, then join hands. 

To say the Divine Office – Open the hands, as if you were opening a book.

For the Office of Server – Make a motion as if you were carrying the

Serving Board. 

*****Traditional Carmels either 1990 or 1991 may still be following some articles on Religious Deportment, etc. and they surely address each other with Sisters or when speaking to the Prioress they refer her as Mother or Reverend Mother.  There are Carmels however, that may just call their Prioress as Sister and no longer Mother.  There are also Carmels who calls each other by their name or baptismal names – they no longer use their religious name.

Thank you for this beautiful topic i get so many amazing information's about Carmelites.God bless you!

In my country and i my language it is very difficult to found any information.But thank god sister are very open to any questions.

graciandelamadrededios

Thank you for this beautiful topic i get so many amazing information's about Carmelites.God bless you!

In my country and i my language it is very difficult to found any information.But thank god sister are very open to any questions.

You are Welcome, Carla!

There are a lot of good vocations in your country particularly in Carmel.

Gracian

You are Welcome, Carla!

There are a lot of good vocations in your country particularly in Carmel.

Gracian

Yes i know! I have meet amazing sisters and i have talk with them a lot about Carmelite way.For couple of years i have discerning to become Francine teaching sister.For a long time i did not know any other way except this one.In last monuths some sisters and some friends ask me did i try to consibder another way for me.Now i ask my self same question.I want to learn more about Carmelite and about their way to be more open in my possible vocation.