An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Habit Of Poor Clare Colettines Before Vatican Ii

graciandelamadrededios

Thanks for sharing gracian!  Ive been reading through the thread and one of the things Im surprised to come across is how St Teresa of Avila was familiar with the Colettines.  She had apparently even thought of going barefoot like them, which is a custom of theirs I like and wish she wouldve taken on!  I saw you said that some older nuns in Manila and/or Lipa maybe have gone barefoot inside the monastery, and short of joining one of those Carmels Im wondering how I can get away with that at the one Im interested in! :P 

truthfinder
45 minutes ago, vee said:

Thanks for sharing gracian!  Ive been reading through the thread and one of the things Im surprised to come across is how St Teresa of Avila was familiar with the Colettines.  She had apparently even thought of going barefoot like them, which is a custom of theirs I like and wish she wouldve taken on!  I saw you said that some older nuns in Manila and/or Lipa maybe have gone barefoot inside the monastery, and short of joining one of those Carmels Im wondering how I can get away with that at the one Im interested in! :P 

Just be careful - you might find yourself in the snow one day barefoot!

graciandelamadrededios
57 minutes ago, vee said:

Im not really sure if it was the Colettines that St. Teresa was referring to.  I read and recalled  that she wanted to emulate the Barefooted Nuns of the Reform St. Peter of Alcantara.

Indeed, the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in the Philippines went barefoot inside the monastery based on the book I read about the Lipa Apparition.  Some Nuns still go barefoot inside the monastery

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

9 hours ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

CHAPTER II.

Of the Quality of the Habit and of the other Garments

20. - Since the Rule of Form of life lays down that the Sisters be clothed with poor garments, we ordain and decree that this poverty, both with respect to price and colour, be attended to.

21. - Although it is laid down in the Form of life that the Abbess shall supply and provide the person who enters, on her laying aside her secular dress, with three tunics and a mantle, nevertheless, if necessity or infirmity, or any circumstances of person or of place or time should cause any one to need more garments, we declare that the Abbess shall provide the Sisters with garments according to the qualities according to the qualities of persons and places and times and cold climates, as necessity may seem to require.

22. - It is to be understood that the three tunics mentioned in the Form of life need not be of the same form or shape, since the two inner tunics are allowed, not so much as being part of the Habit of the Order as for the comfort and heat and decency of the body; nor need they be of the same colour.

27. - Let plainness, austerity and poverty, both with respect to texture, cost and colour, be always apparent in all the garments of the Sisters.

28. - Let all the Sisters, both the Abbesses and other Officials, be clad with the same common cloth, and let all partiality be excluded.

The above parts made me think of Mother Mary Francis in A Right to be Merry talking about their garden habit struggles when they came to Roswell and the elderly sister with the "two-toned habit"!

• 3 months later...
graciandelamadrededios

ana-dorotea-daughter-of-rudolph-ii-a-nun

Stock Photo - Ana Dorotea, Daughter of Rudolph II, a nun at the Convent of the Descalzas Reales, by Peter Paul Rubens, Waterloo Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

Curious,  it was a custom of Poor Clare Colettines not to wear scapular on the account of their strict observance to poverty...

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

NadaTeTurbe

I'm not sure they are Colettine... It is not say in their website, but in many website of Poor Clares Colettines in France, it is not written that they are Colettine. 

graciandelamadrededios
49 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I'm not sure they are Colettine... It is not say in their website, but in many website of Poor Clares Colettines in France, it is not written that they are Colettine. 

Based on the information from this website, they are Colettines:

http://www.clarissesval.ca/historique.htm

and they are directly founded from monasteries which traces their origins from the foundations of St. Colette.

Now, the constitutions of St. Colette did not mention any scapulars that the nuns should wear.

Perhaps, someone can research on this since I cant speak or write French.

NadaTeTurbe

The Lourdes Poor Clares were founded from the Poor Clares of Lyon, and they founded Valleyfield in Canada. I don't find any informations about the Poor Clare of Lyon. I'll try to do research, this is curious. 

graciandelamadrededios
2 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

St. Colette reformed Besancon 1410 
from there a monastery was founded in Chabery 1471 
Bourg-en Bresse 1484
Lyon 1598
Lourdes 1876

Many Poor Clares monastery has either closed or has transferred

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

sr. mary clare received into poor clare community

Sister on the right had square guimpe and kerchief (covering her chin) not sure if she was a member of Colettine PC.

Got this photo for an OSC Website: http://poorclaresc.com/zzz/2016/06/27/gods-essence-fruits-spirit-3/

What an interesting picture. I wonder if the nun on the right is actually a lay sister - because of the scapular.  I'm positive I've seen some OSC and PCC communities dress their lay or extern sisters with a scapular. The rest of the sisters though also have rather elaborate cinctures that seem completely at odds with what we think of as the traditional franciscan cincture.