An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trandgender Navy Seal

Clare Brigid

I'm no sociologist, but I've met a lot of trans people.  Not all transexuals are men who want to be women, and I have known a few who call themeselves asexual because they don't have any sexual feelings at all.  Your description might explain a bit about certain people, but I don't think it's universal.

I said that it applied to male-to-female transsexuals.  I was not referring to female-to-male transsexuals (transmen).

Edited by Clare Brigid

I don't understand what the point is supposed to be. :huh:

That maybe transgenders shouldn't be barred from military service and can be highly functional members of society?

franciscanheart

That maybe transgenders shouldn't be barred from military service and can be highly functional members of society?

Oh. Well, that definitely wasn't obvious from the first post. :|

Oh. Well, that definitely wasn't obvious from the first post. :|

Sure.  I guess it was more internal mental dialogue since reading the story made me remember years ago Socrates mockingly refer to gay soldiers as 'twinkletoes.'

franciscanheart

Sure.  I guess it was more internal mental dialogue since reading the story made me remember years ago Socrates mockingly refer to gay soldiers as 'twinkletoes.'

I don't claim to like or agree with anyone everyone here. :|

I figured it was something like that, but the article hadnt specified.

For those who have trouble understanding how one could go from being a Navy Seal to being a transwoman, I would like to explain something.

According to Dr. Ray Blanchard, there are basically two types of male-to-female transsexuals:  (1) homosexual transsexuals, who were truly feminine boys and who are exclusively attracted to men since reaching puberty; and (2) autogynephilic transsexuals, that is, heterosexual men who develop a fetish, usually starting with furtive crossdressing, that involves erotic excitement at the notion of having a female body.  The autogynephiles live typically masculine lives, marry, have girlfriends, etc.  They usually concoct a narrative of having done so to hide or overcompensate for hidden femininity, but this is not credible.  In actuality, they are pursuing a fetish.  They are sexually attracted to femininity, but this attraction becomes directed at themselves as women.

I would bet the ranch that Kristen Beck is an autogynephile.

I fall into the first group, the "homosexual transsexuals."

Although the "solution" for both groups is the same -- female hormones, surgery, and living in the female role -- they are actually two very different phenomena.  I do not support transition for autogynephiles.

I recommend the book, The Man Who Would be Queen, by Michael Bailey, for an engaging look at these issues.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/transgender-navy-seal-warrior-princess/story?id=19314231#.Ua4OvdJJOAg

"For years Chris had turned off his sexuality like a light switch and lived as a warrior, consumed with the battle -- living basically asexual. For Chris the other SEALs were brothers and in the man's man warrior lifestyle, even if he had wanted to entertain sexual thoughts, there really was never any time to be thinking too much about sexuality," the book says.

Speckhard said Beck first announced her decision to friends online with the declaration "No more disguises" and the book describes her going out to gay bars in Florida as a woman.  Beck is currently on hormone therapy in preparation for sexual reassignment surgery and generally wears long hair, make-up and women's clothes, Speckhard said.

CatholicsAreKewl

I would bet the ranch that Kristen Beck is an autogynephile.

I fall into the first group, the "homosexual transsexuals."

Although the "solution" for both groups is the same -- female hormones, surgery, and living in the female role -- they are actually two very different phenomena.  I do not support transition for autogynephiles.

Wait, why the assumption? I hope we could progress to a point where this story doesn't make national news.

Clare Brigid

Wait, why the assumption?

It is an assumption, yes.  It is based on Ms. Beck's very masculine past.  To understand why this is relevant, I refer you to The Man Who Would be Queen, by Michael Bailey.

I'm using this as a teaching moment.  :disguise:

It is an assumption, yes.  It is based on Ms. Beck's very masculine past.  To understand why this is relevant, I refer you to The Man Who Would be Queen, by Michael Bailey.

How does that mesh with him being sexually attracted to men?

Clare Brigid

How does that mesh with him being sexually attracted to men?

It doesn't say he's sexually attracted to men.  It says he went to a gay bar.  It's not the same thing.  Lots of transwomen who identify as lebians do the same, because it is a more accepting environment.

Just read the book, Hassan!  It's available to read online for free here:  http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/JMichael-Bailey/TMWWBQ.pdf

HisChildForever

Just because he (she?) has a masculine past doesn't mean he's into a fetish. Plenty of homosexuals marry persons of the opposite-sex, have children, and decades later come out as gay. Isn't it the same concept? Are we to assume these homosexuals have some kind of a fetish because their pasts were the complete opposite of what they're saying/practicing now?

Clare Brigid

Just because he (she?) has a masculine past doesn't mean he's into a fetish. Plenty of homosexuals marry persons of the opposite-sex, have children, and decades later come out as gay. Isn't it the same concept? Are we to assume these homosexuals have some kind of a fetish because their pasts were the complete opposite of what they're saying/practicing now?

You're right.  It was wrong of me to assume that Ms. Beck is an autogynephile.  I do not know her.  I certainly regard her as a woman, in any case.

Nevertheless, aside from Ms. Beck's particular situation, I think it is important for people to be aware of the distinction between these two types of transwoman.

There's a man who works at my local post office who is about 2/3 of the way finished with a sex change. It's still obvious he's a man. Last week I answered one of his questions, "Yes, ma'am" and felt it was wrong.

Is it a sin to engage in transsexual behaviors? If it is, are we wrong to "play along"? I know it's polite to do so, but spiritually speaking... (If it is wrong, I'll avoid the whole issue by just not using any gendered pronouns at all.)