CrossCuT Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 22 maps showing geographical differences in how Americans pronounce and have multiple names for the same thing! http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1 (More maps in the article!!!)
Nihil Obstat Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 Y'all is a good word. I wish it was part of my dialect.
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 Y'all is a good word. I wish it was part of my dialect. It is. Anne of Green Gables uses it. Canadians should use it by default because of that.
CrossCuT Posted June 5, 2013 Author Posted June 5, 2013 I have an announcement: IT'S POP!!!!!!! This is correct
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 This is correct Prepare yourself, as this is an ongoing fight that has been going on since I came on here. There are many disillusioned people here who refer to it as "soda", or, even worse, people who refer to all dark pop as "Coke", despite that being a BRAND!
Chestertonian Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 I have an announcement: IT'S POP!!!!!!! Soda!!!
Nihil Obstat Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 It is. Anne of Green Gables uses it. Canadians should use it by default because of that. There is a world of difference between Maritime and Prairie Canadian English.
WillT Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 Y'all is a good word. I wish it was part of my dialect. Don't forget "all y'all" for a larger group.
Chestertonian Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 POP!!!!! Why? Because the fizz POPS! SODA!!! Why? Because it has lots of sodium!
EmilyAnn Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 I say y'all and I am not even American, purely because I think it sounds cool. Do some of y'all seriously call a roundabout a traffic circle? And a drive through liquor store exists? This is all quite baffling.
WillT Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 How does one pronounce "Mary, merry, and marry" differently? I can't figure out a way to do it that sounds remotely intelligible.
EmilyAnn Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 How does one pronounce "Mary, merry, and marry" differently? I can't figure out a way to do it that sounds remotely intelligible. How do you pronounce them the same? I would pronounce each of those words differently.
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 How do you pronounce them the same? I would pronounce each of those words differently. How? I know "Merry" is sometimes pronounced "murry", but how do you pronounce "Mary" and "marry" differently? Most people in America pronounce all three words like "Mary".
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 There is a world of difference between Maritime and Prairie Canadian English.
CrossCuT Posted June 5, 2013 Author Posted June 5, 2013 I think its safe to say that a very large number of us say POP
Nihil Obstat Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 Y'all should read up on regional varieties of English. :smile3:
CrossCuT Posted June 5, 2013 Author Posted June 5, 2013 Do some of y'all seriously call a roundabout a traffic circle? Ive seen them called strange things too but Im used to calling them roundabouts!
Chestertonian Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 For the record, it's "cray-awn" not "cran" or "cray-ahn."
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now