EmilyAnn Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 How? I know "Merry" is sometimes pronounced "murry", but how do you pronounce "Mary" and "marry" differently? Most people in America pronounce all three words like "Mary". That's not how you say "merry". And Mary and marry are completely different! Mary is pronounced like mare with a 'y' sound at the end. Marry has the same 'a' sound as 'sad' Merry has an 'eh' sound at the vowel
Not The Philosopher Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 I appreciate y'all because English no longer being able to distinguish between second person plural and singular is just silly.
WillT Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 That's not how you say "merry". And Mary and marry are completely different! Mary is pronounced like mare with a 'y' sound at the end. Marry has the same 'a' sound as 'sad' Merry has an 'eh' sound at the vowel Interesting. It just sounds funny when I try to say them differently.
Ice_nine Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 we call them rotaries, but they are also fondly referred to as traffic circles of death. The driving here gets pretty screwy :(
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 (edited) That's not how you say "merry". And Mary and marry are completely different! Mary is pronounced like mare with a 'y' sound at the end. Marry has the same 'a' sound as 'sad' Merry has an 'eh' sound at the vowel Not in America, they're not. "Mary" and "Marry" are pronounced the same exact way, with the "Mare" noise. Edited June 5, 2013 by FuturePriest387
Nihil Obstat Posted June 5, 2013 Posted June 5, 2013 Not in America, they're not. "Mary" and "Marry" are pronounced the same exact way, with the "Mare" noise. You will probably find subtle regional variation that is not adequately captured by spelling, if you were to dig a bit deeper.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 I think its safe to say that a very large number of us say POP Define "very large number." The most populous areas seem to call it soda. :P
PhuturePriest Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Define "very large number." The most populous areas seem to call it soda. :P If you look at the map, it appears the blue and the red are about dead-even.
Spem in alium Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 I say y'all and I am not even American, purely because I think it sounds cool. Do some of y'all seriously call a roundabout a traffic circle? And a drive through liquor store exists? This is all quite baffling. How do you pronounce them the same? I would pronounce each of those words differently. I concur. Also, yay for Wisconsin and Rhode Island. BUBBLER! Am I understanding correctly that in some areas "Been" is pronounced "Ben"?
xTrishaxLynnx Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 If you look at the map, it appears the blue and the red are about dead-even. The most populous areas seem to call it soda. :P
homeschoolmom Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Am I understanding correctly that in some areas "Been" is pronounced "Ben"? Of course...
WillT Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 I concur. Also, yay for Wisconsin and Rhode Island. BUBBLER! Am I understanding correctly that in some areas "Been" is pronounced "Ben"? How do you pronounce it? Like bean?
PhuturePriest Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 You mean the most liberal areas? That's not helping your cause out too much.
PhuturePriest Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Am I understanding correctly that in some areas "Been" is pronounced "Ben"? Absolutely. That's how everyone I know pronounces it, unless we're making fun of British people.
MissScripture Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 I concur. Also, yay for Wisconsin and Rhode Island. BUBBLER! Am I understanding correctly that in some areas "Been" is pronounced "Ben"? Did no one use it when you were here? That is totally how I say it!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now