An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personality Type For Religious Life

nikita92

Greetings everyone! I have a couple of gee whizz questions. Is there a certain "personality type" that is more compatible for becoming and handling a religious life ?? Does anyone happen to know of any published material that refers to this aspect of a religious vocation. When did psychological testing become widely used as a standard practice for entrance? I don't think it was a standard part of the process back in the 60'. Thank you

Julie de Sales

I believe a sanguine person would handle the best the difficulties in religious life; if I am right, some dominican sisters said that one time. I also know that St Therese of Avila didn't wanted to recieve melancholic persons (even if what she intended by ,,melancholic" was something like a personality disorder). 

Spem in alium

Greetings everyone! I have a couple of gee whizz questions. Is there a certain "personality type" that is more compatible for becoming and handling a religious life ?? Does anyone happen to know of any published material that refers to this aspect of a religious vocation. When did psychological testing become widely used as a standard practice for entrance? I don't think it was a standard part of the process back in the 60'. Thank you

This is very interesting! I've got no idea of the answer myself, but am looking forward to seeing responses :)

OnlySunshine

When I took the Myers-Briggs test, I registered as an ISFJ.  My ideal careers included religious worker because of my strong guardian instinct.  When I tested on a different test for personality types, I came out as Melancholic/Phlegmatic.

ISFJ

Melancholic/Phlegmatic

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Melancholic as a personality type isn't the same as what St. Teresa was talking about.

Really, there are no personality types that are more compatible. Each brings with it strengths and weakness that work together in a community. If a person knows her type it is better because she will know her strengths and weakness and can become more virtuous. It's not about saying "Well, that's how I am." A life of virtue transforms our personality. Grace builds on nature and perfects it! That's what my big brother, St. Thomas says!

A good book that is helpful is: Temperament God Gave You, The : The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord  from Sophia Institute Press. 

I think that psychological testing became standard in the late '60's and early '70's. It is a good tool for the community and the candidate but it is only a tool. If one has good self-knowledge and the help of a spiritual director there shouldn't be any surprises.

maximillion

I agree, there is no one personality type that is any better or any worse and I think the purpose of the psych test is primarily to rule out any incipient mental instability, and secondarily, to be used as a source of information for one's perfection, as Sister said.

It takes all sorts to make a world and all sorts to make a community.

inperpetuity

All of the 1990 Carmelite nuns I have been in touch with say they don't use psych tests.  I am pretty sure that none of them use them.

I think that, if we speak of proportions of personalities attracted to religious life, then there is probably a disproportionate amount of a certain personality that feels drawn to that life. But in terms of community constitution and who gets in and such, I don't think it really matters. In all of the communities I've been in (which is quite a few, given my research), the sisters have been SO different. At first, when I went in with the stereotype that sisters are all a bunch of conformed penguin-robots, this was a HUGE surprise. But as soon as I saw how incredibly different they all are, how much they maintain—and yes, perfect!—their own God-given personalities, I was really, really moved.

And I do think it is necessary for a community to have a good variety of personalities. The different personalities balance each other, and so create a well-balanced community that is able to meet all of its practical needs.

BTW, Nikita: I have an article by an academic (though very readable) in which she discusses pre-VII and post-VII practices with one community in particular. Despite knowing quite a bit about religious life from my research, this article was quite an eye-opener. If you're interested in reading that, PM me and I'll fish it out. (I know roughly where it is... ;-) I'm pretty sure it discusses psych evals, among all the other changes (like forming novices in a separate Novice House as opposed to together with professed sisters, and the like).

Edited by curiousing

OnlySunshine

Melancholic as a personality type isn't the same as what St. Teresa was talking about.

Really, there are no personality types that are more compatible. Each brings with it strengths and weakness that work together in a community. If a person knows her type it is better because she will know her strengths and weakness and can become more virtuous. It's not about saying "Well, that's how I am." A life of virtue transforms our personality. Grace builds on nature and perfects it! That's what my big brother, St. Thomas says!

A good book that is helpful is: Temperament God Gave You, The : The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord  from Sophia Institute Press. 

I think that psychological testing became standard in the late '60's and early '70's. It is a good tool for the community and the candidate but it is only a tool. If one has good self-knowledge and the help of a spiritual director there shouldn't be any surprises.

I think the problem with the last community I applied to is that they used the psychological evaluation as their only method of testing whether or not I was suitable for the life.  No one asked me to come and do a live-in or visit one of the convents so I barely knew them except for when they visited my parish.  Now that they live in my parish, I'm able to see them weekly but I feel like I was unfairly evaluated.  That's why I don't like psychological testing very much for religious life.  I think, if used properly, it is a good tool for you AND the community to know your strengths and weaknesses and evaluate what you might need to work on while in the convent.  When my friend had hers done, it was done properly and professionally.  The tool was not used as an indicator of whether or not they would accept her.  Mine was.  The superior should not say, "If you are able to pass the psychological evaluation, you can try the life."  That's not the proper way to do it.  I know that now.

When I was discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy, they said that they test every candidate but it is NOT used as a tool to evaluate whether or not you should be there.  They believe that can only be assessed by personal visits and communication.

PhuturePriest

There are types of each personality in every Order. Some are more fitted than others, so specific Orders are heavy one some and light on others. I'm a Sanguine, and I've heard Sanguines are very much looked for in active Orders and in contemplative ones, as Sanguines tend to be the light of the group and get along with other types well. But just the same, introverted people are just as valued in both active and contemplative Orders. Vocations are based off callings, not personality types.

PhuturePriest

I think the problem with the last community I applied to is that they used the psychological evaluation as their only method of testing whether or not I was suitable for the life.  No one asked me to come and do a live-in or visit one of the convents so I barely knew them except for when they visited my parish.  Now that they live in my parish, I'm able to see them weekly but I feel like I was unfairly evaluated.  That's why I don't like psychological testing very much for religious life.  I think, if used properly, it is a good tool for you AND the community to know your strengths and weaknesses and evaluate what you might need to work on while in the convent.  When my friend had hers done, it was done properly and professionally.  The tool was not used as an indicator of whether or not they would accept her.  Mine was.  The superior should not say, "If you are able to pass the psychological evaluation, you can try the life."  That's not the proper way to do it.  I know that now.

When I was discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy, they said that they test every candidate but it is NOT used as a tool to evaluate whether or not you should be there.  They believe that can only be assessed by personal visits and communication.

The fault is not with the psychological evaluation, it is with the Community itself. Each Community should see you personally and have meetings with you before making a final judgement. Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor makes it so that you have a meeting with him on the first day of your live-in and on the last one. I don't think he would ever turn anyone down from a live-in or a meeting unless their psychological evaluation deemed the candidate was clinically insane.

If a person knows her type it is better because she will know her strengths and weakness and can become more virtuous. It's not about saying "Well, that's how I am." A life of virtue transforms our personality. Grace builds on nature and perfects it! That's what my big brother, St. Thomas says!

...   If one has good self-knowledge and the help of a spiritual director there shouldn't be any surprises.

THIS!

My personal opinion ... you need to know about yourself in order to work on yourself.  My personality is my personality, and I can work on my weaknesses.   And over time I would hope that the weakness is gradually lessened.

And again the importance of a spiritual director.  Yes -- certain things when talking about personality falls under the realm of psychiatry/psychology, but there are things that can be dealt with on a spiritual level as well, and that's where the role of spiritual director comes in.

(edit: minor typo)

Edited by cmariadiaz

maximillion

I so agree with Mater, that the psych eval, if one is used, should not be the determining criteria for acceptance or rejection, but a tool for everyone concerned and taken into account along with the results of face to face meetings, a reasonable period of correspondence (by whatever means), and the various recommendations and references received.

When I was zelatrix this is the system we used and it seems as relevant today as it was back then.

OnlySunshine

The fault is not with the psychological evaluation, it is with the Community itself. Each Community should see you personally and have meetings with you before making a final judgement. Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor makes it so that you have a meeting with him on the first day of your live-in and on the last one. I don't think he would ever turn anyone down from a live-in or a meeting unless their psychological evaluation deemed the candidate was clinically insane.

Yes, and I'm aware the community has a lot to work on.  They don't require psych evaluations from every candidate -- only those who have a documented disorder like I do.  They just admitted another postulant last month and she was not given a psych eval.  Their first postulant from the States wasn't either.  I think each community needs to be consistent.  It's not fair to require one thing from one candidate and something from another.  I'm not clinically insane -- I'm sure of it.  Otherwise, they would have locked me up a long time ago.  ;)

Anyway, I could go over and over what I think the community should have done differently.  They are not familiar with the way communities in the States do things because they are primarily a European community and only have 2 postulants from the US.  I pray that they will continue to work on their admission and formation program.  Regardless, I am glad that I never entered there.  I think they are a terrific community but, obviously, God has something else in mind and I've made my peace with that.  :)