An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personality Type For Religious Life

nikita92

BarbTherese

Lengthy 'test' and not Catholic, although did not research the site until after I had done the test.  My results somewhat true - but then in one place really right off the mark, right off!

• 1 month later...
Chiquitunga

Just picking this part out of your comment to say, I whole heartedly agree!! I think balance is important. This may just be me but I think I'd feel overwhelmed if all the women were around my age...... Some yes, but all (or most even) is another thing. We have so much to learn from our elders :saint: (& those who have been living the life for years)

since I'm downloading all my thoughts these days, I happened to have remembered this one, and remembered how I wondered if my comment here could have come across as looking down on some of the communities with most of their members in their 20's and 30's, like the DSMME.

I want to clarify, I don't mean that at all and have a great love for these new communities!  :like: I do still think there are huge benefits of having many older Sisters too. But really, I was thinking especially of cloistered communities when I made this remark. although speaking with a friend recently about this, she pointed out some very good points, one being, if there are many young women in the novitiate with you, you at least wouldn't be the only one, or one of the only, making all the mistakes and having the focus of the whole community on you. you would have many fellow Sisters to grow with and share the trials of formation. I have heard on the other hand of how difficult it can be to be the only one, for instance, in the novitiate from a couple people who were in that situation in different Carmels..

one more thought here, sometimes I feel it could be very difficult to be in a novitiate where most of the women would be younger than you, and many younger than you "older" technically in religious life. but this is good for humility of course! and then that makes me think of St. Teresa Benedicta (Edith Stein) who was formed with several younger women than herself, and many of the Nuns being older in religion than her, though technically younger

anyway, just some thoughts ... :)

TheresaThoma

Honestly I don't think there is one specific personality type that is more suited for religious life. For example I know two junior professed in the same community and they definitely have different personalities. One is much more quiet and reserved. The other is more outgoing and outspoken.

I think with specific charisms there are going to be more of certain personalities just because as St Thomas Aquinas says "grace builds on nature". 

I think certain personalities can gel more easily to certain charism or ways of living, just like secular careers. But in the same way you still find people who are different and they do very well at it, and to some extent you need some diversity in a close community. Although if the community is cloistered and not loosely formed around an apostolate then I'd imagine certain negative traits may inflate and be incompatible with that life. I guess this goes beyond the extrovert/ introvert spectrum. 

Looking at various vocation sites though one of the things I found interesting was that some seemed to say that more outgoing people tended to do better and persevere in vocations that people would generally associate with introverts, such as hermit or cloistered life. I would have thought the interior focus would drive them nuts but maybe they are able to adapt and make the most of the community life whereas others find it suffocating.  

Edited by Benedictus

• 4 weeks later...
petitpèlerin

Personally I've found personality typing extremely helpful in understanding myself and the people around me and it enables me to be more patient, understanding, and appreciative of the preferences, dispositions, motivations, etc., of others, and myself. I have a very uncommon type for females and I used to think there was something wrong with me and that I had no personality. (ISTP in Myers-Briggs, the one system besides the four temperaments that I believe is based in reality.) I'm glad I discovered this before entering religious life.

For the record, ISTPs are some of the least likely personalities to be interested in spirituality and religion. In Myers-Briggs, NF types tend to be interested in spiritual things, and SJ types tend to be drawn to traditions, such as religion. I would guess that there's a higher proportion of those types in religious life, but I'm neither and I found my way to God in a different sort of way and now I'm entering, proof that type does not determine spirituality, religion, or vocation. Hey, every community of sisters needs one who can fix stuff around the house and keep the fleet of bicycles rolling, right?

One thing worth mentioning is that extraverts are not necessarily better suited for active orders, and introverts not necessarily better suited for contemplative ones. It's really just about God's call.