An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Back

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

So, I've been flirting with the idea of discerning ever since I "discerned out" as I called it in November. I was on again and off again on it for forever, but recently I have made the decision to start discerning again and keep with it, as the thought keeps coming back and it will keep doing so until I can say with absolute certainty that it is or isn't for me.

It's good to be back! I look forward to discerning fully again (Though as someone pointed out, I never stopped, as it took discernment to get back to this point). I'm going to discern the right way as much as I can this time. I keep getting better and better the more I do it, it seems, so hopefully my tendency to be absolute about things has been dispelled through my recent experiences I had when I visited the seminary. It seems I'm more extreme though, because I've decided if I become a Priest I want to be an exorcist, too (Satanic things fascinate the heck out of me), so that should be fun to tell my spiritual director. :P (And yes, I know that's not something to take lightly; it's just a thought I've been contemplating)

It seems there are a lot of different people here since I left this area of Phatmass. It's nice to meet you all, and of course it's nice to see everyone that is still here!

If you really want to be an exorcist, my advice is to not mention it to anyone, especially a vocation director or a bishop. 

Nihil Obstat

So, I've been flirting with the idea of discerning ever since I "discerned out" as I called it in November. I was on again and off again on it for forever, but recently I have made the decision to start discerning again and keep with it, as the thought keeps coming back and it will keep doing so until I can say with absolute certainty that it is or isn't for me.

It's good to be back! I look forward to discerning fully again (Though as someone pointed out, I never stopped, as it took discernment to get back to this point). I'm going to discern the right way as much as I can this time. I keep getting better and better the more I do it, it seems, so hopefully my tendency to be absolute about things has been dispelled through my recent experiences I had when I visited the seminary. It seems I'm more extreme though, because I've decided if I become a Priest I want to be an exorcist, too (Satanic things fascinate the heck out of me), so that should be fun to tell my spiritual director. :P (And yes, I know that's not something to take lightly; it's just a thought I've been contemplating)

It seems there are a lot of different people here since I left this area of Phatmass. It's nice to meet you all, and of course it's nice to see everyone that is still here!

That bolded part...... mention it to your SD, but never to anybody else for any reason. :P

PhuturePriest

That bolded part...... mention it to your SD, but never to anybody else for any reason. :P

I didn't mean it like that! :P

PhuturePriest

If you really want to be an exorcist, my advice is to not mention it to anyone, especially a vocation director or a bishop. 

Are you kidding? My Bishop would jump for joy. We have four seminarians. He would just be excited that someone wanted to go to seminary. I told him when I was fourteen that I was discerning, and he excitedly led me over to a table and talked to me for at least half an hour about it (That was when he had just recently been ordained a Bishop). Our diocese has no exorcist, either, so I'm pretty sure he would be happy someone was stupid enough to be interested in that.

Are you kidding? My Bishop would jump for joy. We have four seminarians. He would just be excited that someone wanted to go to seminary. I told him when I was fourteen that I was discerning, and he excitedly led me over to a table and talked to me for at least half an hour about it (That was when he had just recently been ordained a Bishop). Our diocese has no exorcist, either, so I'm pretty sure he would be happy someone was stupid enough to be interested in that.

When I was in the seminary (one of them), my roommate was likewise "fascinated by satanic things."  In fact, he was so fascinated that he used to "ghost hunt" in his spare time.  That's right, he'd go into places and attempt to communicate with the dead.  He loved to watch those stupid ghost reality shows on the cable.  He played video games too, mostly involving the slaying of vampire zombies from what I could tell.  He swore he was going to be the diocesan exorcist someday.....

Perhaps my perception is thus clouded.

PhuturePriest

When I was in the seminary (one of them), my roommate was likewise "fascinated by satanic things."  In fact, he was so fascinated that he used to "ghost hunt" in his spare time.  That's right, he'd go into places and attempt to communicate with the dead.  He loved to watch those stupid ghost reality shows on the cable.  He played video games too, mostly involving the slaying of vampire zombies from what I could tell.  He swore he was going to be the diocesan exorcist someday.....

Perhaps my perception is thus clouded.

Your perception is indeed clouded. Not everyone that finds Satanic things interesting is like that. :P But the key word is "interesting". "Interesting" doesn't mean I "like" it. For instance, I find the Holocaust interesting. That definitely does not mean I "like" the holocaust, however.

Pax_et bonum

You are too funny with your avatar! We all know how your discernment is going based on whether your picture has a priest in it or has Phantom of the Opera.

Welcome back, but we were having quite a nice time without you...

Pax_et bonum

Dang double posts... Here, have this gif of Legolas wearing eyeliner

tumblr_mo8skqkU1v1rrqq7no2_500.gif

Edited by Pax_et bonum

PhuturePriest

You are too funny with your avatar! We all know how your discernment is going based on whether your picture has a priest in it or has Phantom of the Opera.

Welcome back, but we were having quite a nice time without you...

I missed you, too. ;)

truthfinder

Futurepriest,  this post concerns me. I can understand your interest in the Satanic; however, the devil is alluring.  Very innocent interest and even good intention can go awry with pride and belief in one's own position before God. No priest should aspire to be an exorcist, and certainly not anyone discerning a priestly vocation.  It's like aspiring to be Pope - it can turn one into a careerist - which plays right into the hand of the Devil.  If one would be appointed exorcist, one must humbly take up the noble calling understanding that in no way is his personal attributes responsible for "fighting" against the Devil.  

Delving into the faith, I think people are often consumed with the desire to beat the Devil.  Like I said, this can quickly turn badly unless one is directed by a good priest with a solid understanding of what you're dealing with.  It is far better to pray to St. Michael, keep close to the Sacraments, and try to humbly seek the will of God without operating under conviction of one's calling to be exorcist.  I'll be praying for you - don't let your youthful enthusiasm harm you (I'd generally avoid reading most accounts revolving exorcisms - even if only because they can increase one's fascination with the power of the Devil and take away time from actually praying or doing good works. Don't actively seek them out. Btw, ghost hunting, imo, would definitely be a sin as one is actively trying to communicate with the dead.) 

God keep you :)

Nihil Obstat

I do not think it is necessarily wrong to desire to be an exorcist. After all, it is a thankless and frankly dead-end 'career'. But it would also be exceptionally easy to want to be an exorcist for the wrong reasons. Easier, perhaps, to want it for the wrong reasons than the right ones.

PhuturePriest

Well, thank goodness my ability to cause everyone to derail my thread because of one thing hasn't left. It's been so long since it happened that I was beginning to worry.

And being an exorcist isn't a "rank", so please don't treat it as such. Its a vocation within a vocation that I am more than allowed to discern and seriously think about. My spiritual director will be glad to know I'm thinking about it.

Nihil Obstat

Well, thank goodness my ability to cause everyone to derail my thread because of one thing hasn't left. It's been so long since it happened that I was beginning to worry.

And being an exorcist isn't a "rank", so please don't treat it as such. Its a vocation within a vocation that I am more than allowed to discern and seriously think about. My spiritual director will be glad to know I'm thinking about it.

As a minor clerical order, it certainly is a rank in one sense of the word. :|

truthfinder

Don't think I'm not glad that you're back to discerning the priesthood, I've just seen too many people get overly concerned with the demonic.  I'm sorry that I contributed to the derailing of your thread.