An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Back

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

As a minor clerical order, it certainly is a rank in one sense of the word. :|

But it shouldn't be seen as a rank. It's a vocation.

PhuturePriest

Don't think I'm not glad that you're back to discerning the priesthood, I've just seen too many people get overly concerned with the demonic. I'm sorry that I contributed to the derailing of your thread.

It's okay. Thank you for the concern! I'll be sure to watch out for that.

PhuturePriest

I look forward to the day when I'm a Priest and I can get people to mow the lawn for me. It's so hot outside...

Golden Years

Welcome back!  (Not that you ever really left.)  You have been and will continue to be in my prayers. 

Chiquitunga

Really happy to hear about your discernment!! So awesome :priest:  (love your changing avatars too!)

Okay, I'm going to be guilty of derailing this again myself too... but as it's a pretty big topic and you mentioned it in the first post, I don't know if it's derailment. sorry!! :tomato:

If you really want to be an exorcist, my advice is to not mention it to anyone, especially a vocation director or a bishop. 

There is some truth to this statement... here Fr. Vince Lampert talks a little about how he was chosen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hqrj8JeBcVA#t=288s

It seems like working on personal holiness is really the most important thing here... I don't think it's something for a priest (or seminarian) himself to discern so much as it's the decision of a bishop. Of course, you know your own bishop and diocese, and the fact that you do not have one makes the situation different.

So anyway, many prayers for you! :pray:  A priest is of course under way more attack from the evil one than the laity; I would guess an exorcist priest even more... I know an exorcist who left the priesthood not long ago actually.. Please do not let this discourage you though. That was his decision. But hopefully it will make you strive for personal holiness even more and resolve in your vocation. It can be really tough, but the Church depends on good and holy men to answer the call and persevere in the holy priesthood!

Here's a story Fr. Lampert tells with a happy ending, btw, (around 43:30) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hqrj8JeBcVA#t=2443 Talk about overcoming obstacles!! :clap:

PhuturePriest

Really happy to hear about your discernment!! So awesome :priest:  (love your changing avatars too!)

Okay, I'm going to be guilty of derailing this again myself too... but as it's a pretty big topic and you mentioned it in the first post, I don't know if it's derailment. sorry!! :tomato:

There is some truth to this statement... here Fr. Vince Lampert talks a little about how he was chosen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hqrj8JeBcVA#t=288s

It seems like working on personal holiness is really the most important thing here... I don't think it's something for a priest (or seminarian) himself to discern so much as it's the decision of a bishop. Of course, you know your own bishop and diocese, and the fact that you do not have one makes the situation different.

So anyway, many prayers for you! :pray:  A priest is of course under way more attack from the evil one than the laity; I would guess an exorcist priest even more... I know an exorcist who left the priesthood not long ago actually.. Please do not let this discourage you though. That was his decision. But hopefully it will make you strive for personal holiness even more and resolve in your vocation. It can be really tough, but the Church depends on good and holy men to answer the call and persevere in the holy priesthood!

Here's a story Fr. Lampert tells with a happy ending, btw, (around 43:30) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hqrj8JeBcVA#t=2443 Talk about overcoming obstacles!! :clap:

Hey, thanks! It's really nice to be back on the discerning side of things. And it's good to know someone else enjoys my avatars! :P

And thanks! I'll definitely take everything here into consideration with my discernment. I don't have time to read/watch the links now, but I definitely will later!

Nihil Obstat

But it shouldn't be seen as a rank. It's a vocation.

Not in a strict sense. Exorcist is an office properly belonging to the cleric. Every priest is part of the order of exorcists, and technically right now every member of the order of exorcists is a priest. There is not a separate vocation - again in the strict sense of the word - to the office of exorcist.

Not in a strict sense. Exorcist is an office properly belonging to the cleric. Every priest is part of the order of exorcists, and technically right now every member of the order of exorcists is a priest. There is not a separate vocation - again in the strict sense of the word - to the office of exorcist.

I think Papa Paul suppressed the order of Exorcists.  Only Lector and Acolyte remain and can only be conferred upon men and enables them to do anything a 12 year old girl can do.

I hope no one is dreaming of being a Porter either.  Thanks, Papa Paul! :|

Nihil Obstat

I think Papa Paul suppressed the order of Exorcists.  Only Lector and Acolyte remain and can only be conferred upon men and enables them to do anything a 12 year old girl can do.

I hope no one is dreaming of being a Porter either.  Thanks, Papa Paul! :|

:sad2:

It still exists though. Just not in its own right. :P

:sad2:

It still exists though. Just not in its own right. :P

"Exists" as a title, yes.  As an ontological reality....I have my doubts. 

Pity there aren't any theologians around here....

HisChildForever

You might like the (fictional) book "Sons of Cain." The writing isn't the best and I caught a few typos but the story might be up your alley.

PhuturePriest

You might like the (fictional) book "Sons of Cain." The writing isn't the best and I caught a few typos but the story might be up your alley.

What's it about?

Nihil Obstat

"Exists" as a title, yes.  As an ontological reality....I have my doubts. 

Pity there aren't any theologians around here....

Now that I had not thought about. Would a minor order constitute an ontological change in the first place, or only the major orders?

Off the top of my head I am not familiar with either the modern or the pre-1969 ordination Mass, but I have heard that when the man is ordained, the prayers indicate in a sort of indirect manner a quick raising of him to each successive minor order. Can you confirm or disconfirm?

HisChildForever

What's it about?

I'm tired so I'll just give you some key words lol - Catholic, brotherhood, military, politics, corruption, cult, satanism. Here's it's Amazon page.

truthfinder

Now that I had not thought about. Would a minor order constitute an ontological change in the first place, or only the major orders?

Off the top of my head I am not familiar with either the modern or the pre-1969 ordination Mass, but I have heard that when the man is ordained, the prayers indicate in a sort of indirect manner a quick raising of him to each successive minor order. Can you confirm or disconfirm?

I don't have a definitive answer about ontological change - but I read an article recently that would indicate that the minor orders were always seen as a sacramental - hence "minor." As well, if you left the seminary after having minor orders but before major orders, they weren't really that binding.  

All right - massive text dump time.

From the last diaconate ordination I attended (OF 2011) - this is the first time the candidate makes the "commitment" to celibacy - and the word is commitment, not vow. 

Prayer of Consecration for a Deacon: "Lord, send forth upon him the Holy Spirit, that he may be strengthened by the gift of your sevenfold grace to carry out faithfully the work of the ministry.  May he excel in every virtue: in love that is sincere, in concern for the sick and the poor, i unassuming authority, in self-discipline, and in holiness of life. May his conduct exemplify your commandments and lead your people to imitate their purity of life.  May be remain strong and steadfast in Christ, giving to the world the the witness of a pure conscience. May he in this life imitate your Son, who came, not to be served but to serve, and one day reign with him in heaven."

The Congregation responds with "Amen," the deacon is invested in stole and dalmatic. 

Presentation of the Book of the Gospels: "Receive the Gospel of Christ, whose herald you now are. Believe what you read, teacher what you believe, and practice what you preach." 

From my hand missal - 2012

Prayer of Ordination - Priest: "Grant, we pray, Almighty Father, to this your servant the dignity of the Priesthood: renew deep within him the Spirit of holiness; may he henceforth possess this office, which comes from you, O God, and is next in rank to the office of Bishop; and by the example of his manner of life, may he instill right conduct." [It's interesting the emphasis on bishop here, as Vat II seemed to change consecration as bishop to ordination as bishop - making bishop the perfect fulfillment of the priestly character.  Where's the theologians to discuss this?!?!?]

The Congregation responds "Amen," the Veni Creator is sung and the priest is invested in the stole and chasuble.

Anointing of the Hands: "The Lord Jesus Christ, whom the Father anointed with the Holy Spirit and power, guard and preserve you that you may sanctify the Christian people and offer sacrifice to God."

Presentation of Gifts: "Receive the oblation of the holy people, to be offered to God. Understand what you do, imitate what you celebrate, and conform your life to the mystery of the Lord's Cross."

------------

These all came from the hand missals that were given at the ordinations so I may be missing some prayers and definitely the rubrics - that being said if memory serves correct, these are the essential prayers.

The minor orders may actually kind of sort of be done when the candidate is made a lector. Typing these out, I realized there is actually no specific mention of what a priest does in the prayers themself - it actually occurs in the promises of the elect (for both deacon and priestly ordinations) - which I can type out if enough people want to read them :)  I'd like to see what the MR 1962 has for ordination prayers.