An Old School Catholic Message Board

Highs And Lows Of Discernment

Kateri89

This posts made me remember few years back when my girlfriend broke out the news that God is calling her to a different way of life. That of being numerary (celibate lay member of Opus Dei who have secular jobs). I remember that right after football I went to Mass and then the fear of future keep nagging me uptothe point of consecration,shall I propose when both of us are still in grad school? how will we share housework? etc.. then she brought met the news...but I still remember parts of what she told me..." Mike I offer your love at the foot of Our Lady, that God will prepare you for something great, that you are a good guy, I love you but God call is much deeper, I offer your love to St Joseph and he knows what he needs to do it..."

Then maybe I thought I was selfish that since I love her so much I would also be celibate myself..but my spiritual director vehemently says NO. He guided me; encourage me to date and have social activities but still a single celibate life keep nagging on me

I tried it with the Jesuits but the DietPepsi and potato chips Mass pissed me off that I never get in touh with them ever since.The Eastern Dominicans encourage me again to go back to school and get a job..

and there's come the job,that you are slowly climbing to the ladderof your given profession,lots of meeetings and overtimes and travel sometimes made you question yourself? Do I really have that vocation? I mean would I not quit until I reach 40 to commit? why not at leats when I go back I can say that I accomplish this much?

and then the temptation that I am doing something apostolic and great..i started giving spiritual directions and chats to guys my age dealing with sexual addiction, infidelity, homosexual orientatuion and then..you started feeling great about your self when you hear like"You know Michael you're really such a gift from God, you're great man!..Oh by the way my wife told me I've change thanks..." and then you started to put that call aside..

Edited by MichaelKoenigTalidong

I'm sorry. Wha?

I presume the diet Coke and potato chips were substituted for wine and bread, and everyone prayed to Daddy-O, Junior, and Spook. (you are all probably too young to remember that rather tasteless joke)

I'm sorry. Wha?

I presume the diet Coke and potato chips were substituted for wine and bread, and everyone prayed to Daddy-O, Junior, and Spook. (you are all probably too young to remember that rather tasteless joke)