An Old School Catholic Message Board

Updates On Application Process

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

I just wanted to provide everyone with an update on my application process.

So far I've completed my:

-Spiritual Autobiography (10 pages)

-Dental exam (passed with flying colors)

-Eye exam (same as dental)

-Have two friends write reference letters

-Have two professional associates write letters

-Send Baptismal certificate and Confirmation certificate

-Submit complete medical history report

-Personal history questionnaire

I still need to do the following:

-Comprehensive physical examination

-Psychological evaluation

-Reference letter from spiritual director (my SD is currently on vacation in Rome, so I have to wait until August for this)

-Send college transcripts

That's all. Prayers are appreciated. 

I have my physical exam scheduled for next Tuesday, so that will be done soon. The psychological evaluation is tricky because it's expensive (I was quoted $750 at the diocesan psych, since I'm not a seminarian....) and I don't want to go just anywhere. I'd like to find a cheap place. 

:)

+JMJ

WOW!! You have been busy!! Kudos for being on top of it! I can honestly say... I wouldn't have 10 pages of a spiritual autobio. I also do not have 2 friends that could write me anything except maybe a work reference. Plus why would they need your college transcripts? Thanks

TheresaThoma

I'm guessing with the college transcripts it might be so they have it on hand if it is ever needed instead of trying to go back and find it later.

Psych evals are not cheap from what I have heard. However it would be great if you can get it from a Catholic psychologist who is used to doing them for a vocations.

Again... Why would they need your transcripts??? In case they want to put you in a teaching position??

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Transcripts help a community know something about the person. We request them as well. Your strengths and weaknesses, your study habits, your commitment to your education, etc. I always find something about the person that I didn't know that is such a nice thing to find out. "Wow, I didn't know you took Greek?" And if someone fails a lot of classes or changes schools a lot that COULD be indicative of some red flags. If someone entering a Dominican community, for example, failed basic college courses, it would be a question of some concern that we would want to ask the person why. There could be a number of valid reasons but it could also point to her inability or lack of desire to engage in study.

DiscerningCatholic

OOF! That's a lot of stuff! :blink: Does every community have you write a spiritual autobiography? Yikes. And the SOL require that you graduate college first, right?

ToJesusMyHeart

OOF! That's a lot of stuff! :blink: Does every community have you write a spiritual autobiography? Yikes. And the SOL require that you graduate college first, right?

I think most communities want some sort of written document about why you are applying to enter their convent, but they may not call it a "spiritual autobiography."

The SOL don't require that you get a degree first, but it is preferred. However, if you're truly being called straight out of high school, and the community can see that the call is immediate and genuine, they're not going to say no just on the basis of lacking a college degree. They're very reasonable. :)

ToJesusMyHeart

P.s. I had my physical done yesterday, and it had the surprise requirement of getting bloodwork done.  :unsure:

This wouldn't be a big deal except that I'm scared of needles. Anyway, it happened and I'm fine. :) A little bruised on my vein, but all is well. 

The psych eval is the next challenge to schedule. 

ToJesusMyHeart

It was actually sort of amusing because when I was told I needed to get blood drawn, I remembered it was the Feast of the Most Precious Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ yesterday (in the traditional calendar), and so I was sitting in the waiting area and I busted out laughing at the irony and at Jesus' sense of humor. 

He's a hoot!

OnlySunshine

I'm glad you are continuing to make progress in your application.  Would you be entering this Fall or next Fall?  :)

DiscerningCatholic

I'm actually scared of all of the exams and stuff that I'd have to have done. I hate going to the doctor. I don't have seizures or anything like that; the most severe "chronic" "problem" I have is I always get a really bad cough for a few weeks after I get a mild to severe cold, but other than that, I'm fine. I just hate getting poked and prodded on every inch of my body.

Glasses? I don't care; I look like a nerd, but whatever. I have better than 20/20 vision right now, so that's not even on the radar. :| I'm not insane...at least not like THAT.

The other thing I'm worried about is my SAT score (again, probably without reason), but I don't think that that is a huge factor in your acceptance. 

Edited by DiscerningCatholic