An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans Of The Immaculate

dymphnamaria

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria!

I don't know.  You would think cloistered nuns would want to use something a little less geeky.  Would Jesus use a Mac?  I think not.  But, perhaps it was a donation.

I can tell you from first hand experience in the friaries - if Jesus was here, I would ask Him to help troubleshoot the PC's (majority) that I get stuck on and Mac's (we use Apple stuff all over the world) as well. I would ask him to get that G5 that has been sitting in the corner and see if He could get it running as a rendering machine to help speed up the homily videos! There are friars who may be more specialized with Mac hardware and software and can produce great content, or Mac's get donated and we just use them. Whatever is there that we can use for the apostolate, we use it, so I'm sure Jesus would get accustomed to that 1-button mouse in no time.

We have lot's of high end equipment that run internet, television, radio, publications, and other multimedia, all over the world, all from donations - it all comes from Our Lady, and is for Our Lady. St. Maximilian was asked what St. Francis would think if he was there to see the very expensive printing press machine they had, and he replied that St. Francis would roll up his sleeves and get to work on it right away! For Our Lady and the salvation of souls, there are no limits!

Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

I've often suspected that it requires a Divine nature to properly operate a Mac.  Nice to have it confirmed.

For the rest of us who don't possess a Divine nature, we must eschew the Mac.  

Chiquitunga

Ave Maria! Those pictures are so beautiful! Where did they come from? I may be able to use them in higher resolution for the future, or maybe get them to the US sisters here..

10.jpg

What game are they playing? I see them playing that here as well. Must be some kind of worldwide-FI-sister-sport or something.. The friars here have been playing street hockey and basketball lately, but this sister looks like she can do some serious rebounding!

Clarissas3.jpg

What are they doing?

6.jpg

What are they doing? These pictures are so interesting - they need captions!

Ave Maria!

In Corda Iesu et Mariae Sacratissima,

fra John Paul, FI

Ave Maria! These pictures are from the FI Sisters' contemplative monastery in Città di Castello. They used to be all here, http://web.archive.org/web/20090703170042/http://www.granangular.net/aff_rech.asp?mode=data&ths=rgp&id=4179

I'm not sure exactly what they're doing in those pictures, but I would guess it's a penitential practice and/or Stations of the Cross. Here is a Poor Clare in France (OSC I believe since their chins aren't covered as PCCs were) holding a Cross like that as a refectory penance, http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=810627&ppid=1122&image=303040130&images=303039433,303039576,303039464,303039510,303039815,303039756,303039856,303039926,303039882,303039655,303039616,303040460,303040425,303040320,303040216,303040381,303040160,303040063,303040130,303039967,303040021,303040289,303040258,303039707&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

I've seen a picture of the Caphucin Poor Clares in Città di Castello doing the Stations of the Cross all holding Crosses on their shoulders like that too, in a little booklet on St. Veronica Giuliani (which I don't own, just saw)

truthfinder

Well the OSC one that you posted the link to looks like an individual penance, perhaps before a final profession, or just for penance coming from the regular office.  The FI Contemplatives, when I first saw the pictures, were a Good Friday practice I believe.  And Franciscans often do a cross prayer - so maybe that's what they're doing, or a special variation thereof, when they're holding their arms out. 

I went to Mass at the contemplative sisters' convent at Lanherne, Cornwall, in April and met Fr Angelo. A fascinating and beautiful place and a very nice man.

maximillion

The last pic is of the Sisters doing 'cross' prayers.

We did them too, and each sister has her own way (our Constitutions didn't stipulate the how, arms straight out to the sides or raised up or whatever).

We only did these in Lent, or occasionally, with permission, in private.

We always did them to the length of time it takes to say the Miserare - which the Constitution stipulated 'ought not to be either truncated nor drawn out'!

At most it is mild discomfort.

domenica_therese

The sister with the computer is from their contemplative branch. The sisters that you have met are probably the active ones, you can distinguish the two from their veils. The sisters on mission lands have different experiences to tell. I have heard from a sister who had contracted with some kind of a disease in Africa. But overall, most of the sisters shared funny experiences from their mission. :)

Oh, you're right! I hadn't noticed a difference in the veils at first. :) And the most palpable thing about them was definitely their joy and love -- I merely cited the diseases as an example of their total and unequivocal devotion to Christ and the call of St. Francis, to counter what I thought was an objection to the perceived luxury of the Mac. But since the objection seems to be a doctrinal one in the great Mac vs. PC crusade, I suppose proof of how hardcore the sisters are is unnecessary. Thanks for your insight!

• 2 weeks later...