Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yes, Another Veiling Thread But...


Recommended Posts

4LoveofJMJ
Posted

Since I could not find the appropriate thread, I decided to make my own! :)

A few days ago a really good friend of mine took me to a latin Mass and lent me a veil to wear. It was my first time ever veiling at a mass before and I loved it! So much so that I'm having her mom (who makes veils) make one for me. I figure that since I am moving out of state, it will be a perfect time for me to start wearing a veil. Even though I only wore one once, the beauty of this tradition was not lost on me. I am just really nervous about starting to veil because I am sure that it will draw even more attention to me than just any newcomer might. The church that I will start going to does not have a Latin Mass (where veiling generally takes place) so that makes me even more nervous about the whole thing.

So I am just wondering, what have been your experiences? Any advice you can offer me? :)

Basilisa Marie
Posted

People will probably stare.  But don't worry about them!  I think you're right about it being the perfect time to start.  Just remember that you'll be a great witness to a beautiful tradition.  :)   I recommend smiling at people and being friendly, it'll help people feel more comfortable around you if they aren't used to seeing women veil.  

He is Risen!
Posted

If you feel like you stick out too much, you could go with a hat.  That's what I do and it's easy to find ones that are cute and not too old lady-ish.

4LoveofJMJ
Posted

People will probably stare. But don't worry about them! I think you're right about it being the perfect time to start. Just remember that you'll be a great witness to a beautiful tradition. :) I recommend smiling at people and being friendly, it'll help people feel more comfortable around you if they aren't used to seeing women veil.



Thanks! :)
4LoveofJMJ
Posted (edited)

If you feel like you stick out too much, you could go with a hat. That's what I do and it's easy to find ones that are cute and not too old lady-ish.

Thanks for the advice but I kinda feel like thats in some way "cutting corners." But who knows! Maybe I'll change my tune. :) Edited by 4LoveofJMJ
ChristinaTherese
Posted

I've been wearing a scarf when I can lately, for what it's worth. I don't think it's really cutting corners so long as it covers your hair and isn't really flashy (some hats can be). Sticking out will happen, but if you have patience people will get used to it. And who knows, maybe you'll join a few other women who already veil at your new parish or give some the encouragement they need to start if they've wanted to but been worried about sticking out. (I noticed a few others at my parish after I started, but I don't know if that's because I started seeing them or they started after me.)

 

And I definitely second what Basilisa said.

Pax_et bonum
Posted

There are women who wear hats and scarves at the EF I go to; wear whatever you will be comfortable with and can be confident in. No, women aren't obligated to veil, but you have the right to. And if you're all self-conscience, you probably aren't going to be able to pray well, and veiling will be more harmful than helpful, right? Focus on what God thinks--you're veiling for Him after all, not for anyone else. You probably won't cause much of a stir, and people will quickly get used to seeing you in a veil at church. Be friendly, be confident, and you'll be great :)

Mary+Immaculate<3
Posted

Although I often choose not to veil, since I go to a traditional NO/EF church, where a lot of the people do veil, I have some tips.

1) Don't let your posture or gestures imply that you resent veiling lie it is something your grandma makes you do. After all, it is your decision.

2) Let your example show that your veiling is an act of reverence and humility, in this way it will be noticed in a positive light.

3) It's alright to be fashionable/trendy/coordinated, just not flashy. If you go in there with a decked out, sparkly, sequined, rhinestone chapel veil or scarf, they are just going to take you for a show off. Unfortunately, that is the way most women think, without even thinking about it (I admit it myself). 

4) When and if someone asks you about your reason, try to make it something someone who has never heard of the idea of veiling could go with, instead of an in depth history of the early Church and ancient Hebrew history. Most people (especially young people like me) haven't even heard of it, so they are curious about the idea because it's so novel.

 

4LoveofJMJ
Posted

Thanks for the advice! I will definately put it to good use. When I went to Mass last night, I was longing so much to wear a veil.

Do you know of any websites that can explain the concept and tradition of veiling? If anyone asks me about it I want to be able to explain it properly. I don't really know that much about it myself!

elizabeth09
Posted

EWTN sells them.  You have to type in veils, bottom of the page.  They may charge shipping.  Do not know how much.  You have to sign up to shop on line.

http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/

Posted

I would say keep it simple and classy. And ignore the stares.

elizabeth09
Posted

In my three years, and counting, no one had ask me why I am wearing the veil.  But I was ask where I got mine.  So, just to remember to smile, wave, and stay happy with it.

Pax_et bonum
Posted

Scroll down http://www.veilsbylily.com/ and you'll find links on the right about veiling. If someone does ask you about it, I don't think they're going to want some complicated theological argument. They may want to know why you've chosen to veil.

4LoveofJMJ
Posted

EWTN sells them. You have to type in veils, bottom of the page. They may charge shipping. Do not know how much. You have to sign up to shop on line.
http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/



Thanks but my friend's mom is making one special for me. :)
TheresaThoma
Posted

When I first started to veil I was SUPER nervous. I quickly realized though most people don't mind. I have had a couple people ask me why and a couple others compliment me on my veil but that has been it. 

Just relax and if someone does approach you be prepared to give them a quick answer to why you veil (and where you got your veil). I think most people are just curious about it. I have had some older parishioners approach me to say how happy they are that someone is continuing this tradition.

4LoveofJMJ
Posted

Oh and another question, when is it appropriate to veil? Just during Mass, when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed or when you go into a church period? Also if you are praying at home them do you wear one? All the articles I have read talk about why but not when.

ToJesusMyHeart
Posted

Oh and another question, when is it appropriate to veil? Just during Mass, when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed or when you go into a church period? Also if you are praying at home them do you wear one? All the articles I have read talk about why but not when.

 

Whenever you feel called to. 

 

Personally, I veil whenever the Eucharist is in the same room as me (or, if outside, when I know Jesus is nearby). So not just during exposition, but not at my home since I don't have the Eucharist there. 

 

It's really up to you. 

Posted

Oh and another question, when is it appropriate to veil? Just during Mass, when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed or when you go into a church period? Also if you are praying at home them do you wear one? All the articles I have read talk about why but not when.

 

Whenever you choose. There are no rules. Personally, I wear it for Mass, Adoration, Confession and when I used to go to church to pray in silence. I don't generally wear my mantilla when I pray at home, although I do sometimes when I pray the rosary because it helps me focus (I struggle to focus when praying the rosary). 

elizabeth09
Posted

Oh and another question, when is it appropriate to veil? Just during Mass, when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed or when you go into a church period? Also if you are praying at home them do you wear one? All the articles I have read talk about why but not when.

 

I wear mine when I am in Church with the red candle.  That help me force that Jesus is there and on the mass, not on my hair.  Never at home because I want everyone to see my hair.  Maybe one day I will get there.

Posted

Hmmm well you guys have given me plenty to think about but since I am new to this I still have more questions. :)

When you wear your veil, what do you wear with it? Skirts? Slacks? Jeans even? The church I go to if very casual in the way they dress and yes I do mostly wear jeans to Mass because I only have one skirt and two dresses that are too dressy to wear every week. But I try to dress it up as much as I can (e.g. nice shoes, shirt, sweater ect.). So I don't know exactly what is common when veiling.

Ever since I told my mom about my decision to veil, things became akward whenever the subject came up. Almost like she did not fully approve. She remembers having to veil before VII and does not think it important. She said that it was my choice but things still felt weird... Until I had her read these posts. Now she fully understands and has no problems with it what so ever! So thank you all so much for helping me! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...