reminiscere Posted July 12, 2013 Posted July 12, 2013 (edited) I've generally seen veiling done when in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament/at Mass. I think it looks silly to see a veiled woman wearing jeans/pants, but maybe that's just a personal opinion. The whole trad modesty thing.... I connect the veil with a dress or skirt. My godmother said the same thing, and she was born before Vatican II and is a pretty classy dresser. Edited July 12, 2013 by reminiscere
Pax_et bonum Posted July 12, 2013 Posted July 12, 2013 I often veil for private prayer in my home because I'm still placing myself in His presence in a special way, and it helps keep me focused. I also veil for Confession and whenever I'm in a church or chapel even when I'm not there to pray (like if I were cleaning or something). Whenever you choose to veil, it's up to you. Veiling and wearing skirts often go hand in hand, but don't let wearing pants stop you from covering your head. Do the best you can with what you have. It doesn't take much to look nice if you choose to start wearing skirts. All you need is a skirt or two with a couple of tops, and it doesn't matter if you're wearing the same thing every week or every other week. Daily Mass is often more casual, so if you want to wear skirts just on Sundays and work your way up to skirts for daily Mass as you acquire more skirts, that's perfectly fine. :like2:
truthfinder Posted July 12, 2013 Posted July 12, 2013 I usually wear a skirt to Mass (and not ankle length either :0) but when it's -20 out and I've got to walk a bit, I'll wear slacks and still cover my head.
TheresaThoma Posted July 13, 2013 Posted July 13, 2013 I veil whenever I enter a church. But you eventual will figure out what works for you. As far as skirts vs pants by the time I started veiling I was already wearing skirts on a regular basis so it wasn't an issue for me. But don't let not having skirts stop you from veiling.
4LoveofJMJ Posted July 13, 2013 Author Posted July 13, 2013 I have been wanting to start wearing skirts for a while but haven't been able to. Until I do get some skirts I was wondering if it was still ok to wear a veil with jeans.
TheresaThoma Posted July 13, 2013 Posted July 13, 2013 Of course. It took me a while to get enough skirts to wear on a regular basis. Don't feel like you can wear a veil just because you are wearing pants/jeans.
abrideofChrist Posted July 13, 2013 Posted July 13, 2013 (edited) The Amish and others wear a "veil" (cap) aka headcovering all the time. It signifies the presence of God. So it's appropriate to wear it at all times instead of just in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament. That being said, we're Catholic and not Amish nor are we required to ever wear a mantilla or any other headcovering except when the Church bestows it on religious... So I don't wear one. I wear my hair because God gave it to me. In some of her approved apparitions Our Lady does not wear a veil. In one, she is bare headed. In another, she wears a visor. Edited July 13, 2013 by abrideofChrist
Archaeology cat Posted July 14, 2013 Posted July 14, 2013 I have been wanting to start wearing skirts for a while but haven't been able to. Until I do get some skirts I was wondering if it was still ok to wear a veil with jeans. Absolutely. I have quite a few skirts now, but still wear trousers to Mass at times (sometimes jeans, usually not because it's so hot now). Wen I'm pregnant I end up with few things that fit and cover the bump, so I wear whatever I do have (usually trousers) and still veil.
4LoveofJMJ Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 I finally got my veil today!!!!! It is so beautiful! Much better than I thought it would be. I am so excited to wear it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now