An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Spottings

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

I've been having a lot of nun-spottings lately. On Tuesday at the Detroit airport, there were two nuns and a priest leaving their plane. As far as I can remember, they had black cloak (capes), white "dresses" covered by a black scapular. They had black veils with one of the traditional looking white things that holds them up a few inches above their face. It went all around their face, hte looked very traditional. They had ob black shoes, perhaps sandals with socks. Also they had some sort of pin over their heart. If you could help me out, please try to identify them. Keep in mind they are probably from Ohio/Michigan. 

Then on Wednesday, I saw a SOL at daily Mass. I was with my youth group and we were meeting the new priest, so she didn't go talk to us, but it seemed like she was with one of the attendees, so she was probably just making a home/relative visit. As some of you know, I saw a secular order habited nun a few weeks ago at daily Mass, and there are other orders every once in awhile, including local ones. It's probably because their MAss is reverent, though simple and unpolished, hardly a "smells and bells" Mass. Maybe it's because of the precious little Perpetual Adoration chapel downstairs, it seems to attract many people :) Who wouldn't be attracted by the world's best guy?!

BarbTherese

I live in Australia - oh to see nuns and priests looking like nuns and priests.  Haven't seen a religious habit or priestly collar for more years than I care to count.

OnlySunshine

I've been having a lot of nun-spottings lately. On Tuesday at the Detroit airport, there were two nuns and a priest leaving their plane. As far as I can remember, they had black cloak (capes), white "dresses" covered by a black scapular. They had black veils with one of the traditional looking white things that holds them up a few inches above their face. It went all around their face, hte looked very traditional. They had ob black shoes, perhaps sandals with socks. Also they had some sort of pin over their heart. If you could help me out, please try to identify them. Keep in mind they are probably from Ohio/Michigan. 

Then on Wednesday, I saw a SOL at daily Mass. I was with my youth group and we were meeting the new priest, so she didn't go talk to us, but it seemed like she was with one of the attendees, so she was probably just making a home/relative visit. As some of you know, I saw a secular order habited nun a few weeks ago at daily Mass, and there are other orders every once in awhile, including local ones. It's probably because their MAss is reverent, though simple and unpolished, hardly a "smells and bells" Mass. Maybe it's because of the precious little Perpetual Adoration chapel downstairs, it seems to attract many people :) Who wouldn't be attracted by the world's best guy?!

I've been trying to figure out who the nun's order is that you first described.  I originally thought something like Benedictine or Cistercian but I cannot find anything matching the description.  Cistercians wear white cloaks.  It could still be Benedictine so I'll keep looking but I'm having trouble.  :(

Cistercians wear white cowls at religious ceremonies.

srmariegabriellea.jpg

They do wear white habits with black scapulars after they have made their final vows and perhaps they have black capes for traveling, but in most of the pictures of Cistercians I have seen they simply wear regular coats when needed.

recreationd.jpgrecreationb.jpg

Spem in alium

I live in Australia - oh to see nuns and priests looking like nuns and priests.  

My sentiments exactly.

Though, my Parish Priest does wear a collar when he's out and about, as do a few others I've seen. And I spotted a couple of nuns a few weeks ago with my dad in Melbourne. I'm not sure what Order they're from, but they were wearing a greyish-blue veil. I got so excited when I saw them, and my dad was just like "Ok..they're nuns..." :)

Edited by Spem in alium

PhuturePriest

I'm going to inform every community that I can to be wary of discerners, as apparently they take to stalking them.

;)

OnlySunshine

Cistercians wear white cowls at religious ceremonies.

srmariegabriellea.jpg

They do wear white habits with black scapulars after they have made their final vows and perhaps they have black capes for traveling, but in most of the pictures of Cistercians I have seen they simply wear regular coats when needed.

recreationd.jpgrecreationb.jpg

Yeah, that's the only order I could think of with a black scapular over a white tunic and a traditional wimple. 

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

BarbTherese

My sentiments exactly.

Though, my Parish Priest does wear a collar when he's out and about, as do a few others I've seen. And I spotted a couple of nuns a few weeks ago with my dad in Melbourne. I'm not sure what Order they're from, but they were wearing a greyish-blue veil. I got so excited when I saw them, and my dad was just like "Ok..they're nuns..." :)

You have been more blest than I have been in Adelaide, Sth Aussie..............I'm 'holy???!  jealoused'! :)

Mary+Immaculate<3

I'm going to inform every community that I can to be wary of discerners, as apparently they take to stalking them.

;)

No, them fools is stalking me! I don't ask for them or search them, I just see 'em!

Mary+Immaculate<3

Yeah, that's the only order I could think of with a black scapular over a white tunic and a traditional wimple. 

I'm afraid that's not the order. These sisters looked like they practically had a black dress on, but with a white garment (perhaps petticoat?) just sticking out under the hem of their black dress. The wimple had a hard, starched look, like Mother Angelica's.

Visitation sisters use quite a bit of starch: http://vistyr.org/

But the only order I can think of with both a habit and a pin is the Passionists. I interviewed them. I couldn't get over the pin. I found it so odd. Why not just hang the thing like a necklace?, I wondered. Maybe that was just all the rage back in 18th-century Italy?    :idontknow: 

By His Grace Alone

Visitation sisters use quite a bit of starch: http://vistyr.org/

But the only order I can think of with both a habit and a pin is the Passionists. I interviewed them. I couldn't get over the pin. I found it so odd. Why not just hang the thing like a necklace?, I wondered. Maybe that was just all the rage back in 18th-century Italy? :idontknow:

Actually, a small correction....Visitation Sisters do NOT use starch.

Actually, a small correction....Visitation Sisters do NOT use starch.

That's not a small correction. That's the exact opposite of what I said! But I'll take your word for it. Their stuff did appear very stiff when I was there, though. Maybe they just used heavy cloth and ironed the dickens out of it?

By His Grace Alone

That's not a small correction. That's the exact opposite of what I said! But I'll take your word for it. Their stuff did appear very stiff when I was there, though. Maybe they just used heavy cloth and ironed the dickens out of it?

Material is not that heavy really but it is ironed. The binder on their forehead is a sleeve of either white (novices) or black (professed) material over a very stiff bit of material which supports it.