An Old School Catholic Message Board

Enclosed Male Communities

Anselm

Sister Marie

I think it's worth bearing in mind that even though a monastery runs a boarding school and parishes it doesn't necessarily mean you'd be called to do these things, even as someone who has teacher experience. It's fairly likely that an Abbot would discuss any assignment with you, and the wider community, rather than simply mandating it. But it is possible that at some point the task could be given, so I guess it's worth thinking about how it would make you feel. 

Benedictus, I agree with you that you never know what the community will ask you to do or not do!  

I just want to caution against discerning thinking that you might not have to do a particular task.  Discern thinking that you will have to do everything the community has to do.  Part of religious life is denying oneself and taking up ones cross.  Sometimes this requires, for various reasons, doing things that, on the surface, interfere with one's spiritual life.  

Can I give an example?  The convent I have lived in for the past three years has been lovely but there has been one very disruptive aspect in my prayer life here.  After the sisters pray morning prayer together, we have to ride in the car to the early Mass at a nearby parish.  I've never had to do this before and I have valued and LOVED the walk from the convent to the parish church in silence and prayer each morning.  That quiet time in between formal prayers has been such a blessing to me.  However, for the past three years, I have driven in a noisy car to Mass.  Honestly, I hate it and it really bothers me... but it isn't a reason to say "no" to the mission.  

I know it is a small thing but even though it has disrupted my preference in prayer - it has challenged me to be more charitable, more flexible, and more focused on what I should be focused on  - God!

Discern and choose a place that, whatever happens, you will feel able to respond with grace, obedience, and openness.  If you do not see teaching as part of your call to religious life, do not enter a community where that is a possibility.  I rarely say anything so absolutely, you don't want to be in the position of saying "no" to God's voice through your superior because you already decided you didn't want to do something.  

Again, you have my continued prayers!

Lilllabettt

the teaching + religious life issue has been on my heart for a long time.  I'm "taking a break" from the classroom to go to grad school ... but honestly I don't know if I will go back. Teaching STRESSED me out.  I wasn't patient enough or respectful enough - I did not like myself as a teacher. Maybe a change of grade level, a private school would make a difference? But I lean more towards it being incompatible with my personality. Over 2 years of teaching I never found a way to spend fewer than 10 hrs at school, and more on weekends. Religious life would not wave some magic wand and make these problems go away.

But now that I'm trained to be a teacher I feel sort of painted into a corner where apostolate is concerned.

... sigh.

Edited by Lilllabettt

the teaching + religious life issue has been on my heart for a long time.  I'm "taking a break" from the classroom to go to grad school ... but honestly I don't know if I will go back. Teaching STRESSED me out.  I wasn't patient enough or respectful enough - I did not like myself as a teacher. Maybe a change of grade level, a private school would make a difference? But I lean more towards it being incompatible with my personality. Over 2 years of teaching I never found a way to spend fewer than 10 hrs at school, and more on weekends. Religious life would not wave some magic wand and make these problems go away.

But now that I'm trained to be a teacher I feel sort of painted into a corner where apostolate is concerned.

... sigh.

Lilalilabelabet - 

You're not painted into a corner. If you're not cut out to be a teacher, then don't teach, the fact that you're trained as a teacher notwithstanding. 

All education is useful. If you never step foot in another classroom, you will benefit - perhaps in unseen ways - from your education to be a teacher. 

It's ideal to learn that "I don't like this field" while you're still in a program somewhere and have time to switch majors, but it it didn't happen in college, at least it did happen. Now you know. 

What are you going to study in grad school? 

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

You could always look at monastic orders that run a College Seminary...like Conception Abbey.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

^oops, posted that before I read very far in the thread then saw you were in England...rookie move, sorry.

Well, with any luck I will be visiting the more traditional of the two houses in a couple of weeks' time :)

Benedictus, I agree with you that you never know what the community will ask you to do or not do!  

I just want to caution against discerning thinking that you might not have to do a particular task.  Discern thinking that you will have to do everything the community has to do.  Part of religious life is denying oneself and taking up ones cross.  Sometimes this requires, for various reasons, doing things that, on the surface, interfere with one's spiritual life.  

Can I give an example?  The convent I have lived in for the past three years has been lovely but there has been one very disruptive aspect in my prayer life here.  After the sisters pray morning prayer together, we have to ride in the car to the early Mass at a nearby parish.  I've never had to do this before and I have valued and LOVED the walk from the convent to the parish church in silence and prayer each morning.  That quiet time in between formal prayers has been such a blessing to me.  However, for the past three years, I have driven in a noisy car to Mass.  Honestly, I hate it and it really bothers me... but it isn't a reason to say "no" to the mission.  

I know it is a small thing but even though it has disrupted my preference in prayer - it has challenged me to be more charitable, more flexible, and more focused on what I should be focused on  - God!

Sr Marie,

Yes, that's the sort of thing I mean! Elements of the life that, objectively, might look minor but which have a niggling negative effect upon one's prayer life. It can only be natural that one would have a different daily experience of prayer if the time between the offices was spent in silent work or in teaching teenagers.

Discern and choose a place that, whatever happens, you will feel able to respond with grace, obedience, and openness.  If you do not see teaching as part of your call to religious life, do not enter a community where that is a possibility.  I rarely say anything so absolutely, you don't want to be in the position of saying "no" to God's voice through your superior because you already decided you didn't want to do something.  

Again, you have my continued prayers!

Totallly agree. I believe that the majority of the monks connected to the EBC community I'm interested in are chaplains to the school, not teachers. But I know this would vary, but worth bearing in mind.  I know that at least one monk said that this was different in the past and that they were assigned to the school, or even other tasks, when they really didn't like it (and felt they were no good at it) but, at least eventually, found it challenged and helped grow them in the religious life. 

Anselm- is it possible you could ask the Abbot if he'd let you shadow a couple of monks doing various tasks, like working in the school, for a day so you can see what the work is like on your next visit. 

Edited by Benedictus

Ah well I know one of the monks who teaches rather well, so I have a good idea of what it's like. The various apostolates all involve a greater degree of contact with the world than the other house.

At least it's not like it used to be - I remember reading an obituary of an EBC monk who didn't want to be a teacher but the Abbot told him to start and see how he got on. 30 years later he was still teaching and still couldn't stand it!

inperpetuity

Teaching is wonderful career and it's great that it's going well for you, but remember, you aren't trying to live the monastic life while your doing it, so that would change things.  I am sure you will figure it out and make the best decision with God's help.

inperpetuity

Teaching is wonderful career and it's great that it's going well for you, but remember, you aren't trying to live the monastic life while your doing it, so that would change things.  I am sure you will figure it out and make the best decision with God's help.

Yes, English is my primary language.  Teaching is A wonderful career. :hehe2: