An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dust And The Phorum's Glitchyness? Donations Needed?

Aloysius

so the phorum has been really glitchy lately... so what is needed to fix that?  does phatmass need donations for some kind of upgrade or fix?  I ask this as someone who has no means to donate as I live my life leeching off of my scholarships these days, but hope that if I throw it out there others might be able to if it's necessary... of course I can deal with the glitchyness but i think it might be driving some people away, especially since the database error monster sometimes eats up posts.

or maybe we just need to talk with some invision customer support?  adjust some kind of setting, compress some old posts into an inactive archive?  I don't think anyone's interested in the wordpress alternative haha... but there's gotta be something that could be done.

The main thing we need is a person who knows how to optimize a server and mySQL database setup. I'm not that guy. As far as customer support, the Invision people blame my web host and my web host blames Invision. Trust me, that dead horse has been beaten profusely.

I'll upgrade our hosting account today to see if that solves anything.

Currently, this is what phatmass runs on:

VPS
1536MB Guaranteed RAM
65GB RAID-10 Disk Space
2x Priority 8+ CPUs
3500GB Premium Bandwidth

Later today, we'll be running on this:

SSD VPS
3584MB Guaranteed RAM
50GB RAID10 SSD Storage
3x Priority 24 CPU Cores
4500GB Premium Bandwidth

I'm optimistic that this will help greatly. It's an extra $25 month, but if it solves all problems, definitely worth it.

Also, we always have the option of actually allowing Invision to host the board:

http://www.invisionpower.com/cloud-pricing

I think we'd need the $45 plan. The good thing about this is that we'd then be able to downgrade our current hosting account to virtually nothing, since the phorum is the main bandwidth hog of the entire site. So in the end, it may come out to be about the same, money wise.

Also, we always have the option of actually allowing Invision to host the board:

http://www.invisionpower.com/cloud-pricing

I think we'd need the $45 plan. The good thing about this is that we'd then be able to downgrade our current hosting account to virtually nothing, since the phorum is the main bandwidth hog of the entire site. So in the end, it may come out to be about the same, money wise.

What are the downsides associated with that option?

What are the downsides associated with that option?

I'm not sure how the transfer of our current threads would work, or if it would be a possibility.

I'm not sure if the URL would remain the same, which would be bad for search engine optimization if it does not (imagine all the broken URLs).

KnightofChrist

As I understand you should not to change the domain name. You'd just need to input into your domain registrar the address (IP address if I recall correctly) for the hosting. The real problem would be transferring Phatmass' files from the server you got now, to another. A quick search on the googles informs me that you'd have to download Phatmass to a computer or hard drive from the current host provider, and then upload it to a new one. But there's gotta be a better way.