An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breaking Down The Charism Of The Poor Clares, Carmelites, And Dominica

Rosita

graciandelamadrededios

Gratian, I would agree that those are good clarification of the RULE and the particular version of the Rule of St. Albert that the different branches of Carmel use.  There is a difference between what Teresa emphasized and what the Order of Carmelites emphasizes (Although a long of the changes she implemented are also now a huge part of the O.Carm. lifestyle as well!).

I think the charism is something a little different than what rule and/or constitutions are being followed.   The charism is the particular gift of the Holy Spirit to that group of people.... the essential spirit of their flavor of religious life, if you will.

Kind of like there is the Rule of St. Benedict... but the Benedictine charism is pray and work, is hospitality and the regularly spaced chanting of the Hours and lectio divina on scripture.  And the different Benedictine branches all share the same RULE, but live it out differently... Benedictines (in several different congregations), Trappists, Cistercians, and a lot of active communities of various types that have adopted one or another form of Benedictine spirituality.  That is where the different branches and/or different congregations and their own Directories or Constitutions or Statutes or whatever they call them come in.  And sometimes those externals can even differ from house to house.  But they should all share the same CHARISM if they are Benedictine.

For the Carmelites, it really is all about intimacy with Christ and the Silence and Prayerfulness and Humility and Detachment needed to create that intimacy with Christ (be it that of a hermit or that of a friar, nun, or an active sister or secular) is the essential 'charism' of the Discalced Carmelite tradition.   ALL Discalced Carmelites should share those characteristics... even if they live them out a little differently from group to group and tradition to tradition... 

All CARMELITES (and there are several versions of the Carmelite Tradition....) should share the same focus on prayer and prophetic relationship of the soul with God.  But the different groups emphasize different facets of the diamond, if you will...

I've been told by those coming from the O.Carm/ Order of Carmelites tradition tend to also emphasize more the prophetic spirit of Elijah -- prayer and going out among God's people prophetically in service and love -- more than do those from the Discalced tradition, who focus more on the intimacy end of things.  Same charism - union with God in intimate prayer -- more of a slight change in emphasis I think....

Thoughts from others?

Anneline,

I only get access to internet once a week – my personal choice, hence I am unable to reply right away.

I fully understood what Charism means.

It was my fault that I did not introduced the reason why I included the information on why St. Teresa adopted the “Primitive Rule” than the “First Rule” of Carmel.

The charism of St. Teresa was evident in the Constitutions she wrote herself and on the other works she left for her Nuns.

You said it yourself:

For the Carmelites, it really is all about intimacy with Christ and the Silence and Prayerfulness and Humility and Detachment needed to create that intimacy with Christ (be it that of a hermit or that of a friar, nun, or an active sister or secular) is the essential 'charism' of the Discalced Carmelite tradition.   ALL Discalced Carmelites should share those characteristics... even if they live them out a little differently from group to group and tradition to tradition...

The Constitutions of St. Teresa stipulates fix number of Nuns in a monastery and no common work room to reach the charism you mentioned.  These stipulations would help the Nuns achieve what Teresa calls “allegiance to Christ.”  This is something that was not observed in Carmelite Monasteries in Spain during her time since there are about 180 Nuns in Incarnation, the rich ladies had servatns with them and the poor Nuns goes out of the enclosure to secure food.  St. Teresa also, she placed a great emphasis on spending time alone in the cell if a Nun is not tied up to her “office.”  as specific point of the Rule that was not entirely observed by the Calced Nuns in her time.

The “Teresian Charism” is closely connected to the Rule and Constitutions St. Teresa wrote for her Nuns.  

Eventually, the Monastery of the Incarnation adopted the Discalced Reform and their monastery was actually “fixed” by St. Maravillas of Jesus.

It is true that eventually, the O. Carms. adopted some points of the Reform of St. Teresa and they even claim her as part of the O. Carm.  

I wrote the following to Chiqui in another thread:

It is very evident that within the Order of Carmel, there are friars and/or nuns who wanted to lead the life of “Stricter Observance.”  Many were grouped into Congregation and for some reason, died a natural death or have been incorporated back to the Ancient Observance.  The only reform that has successfully branched out from the Ancient Observance is the Reform of St. Teresa – Discalced Carmelite Order.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

Gracian, thanks for the clarification -- that makes total sense. 

We really are on the same page here :buddies:

I applaud you on choosing limited access -- keeps people sane and prayerful often times!!!   There are times and days when I need to PUSH AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!!!!

graciandelamadrededios

Thanks Anneline,

I would rather focus on reading books than browsing the web specially VS since its really addicting.

It helps me focus on other things that needs immediate attention.

Gracian