An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro-life, The Tide Is Turning

AugustineA

The Bus Station

Thanks for posting this video. The young man speaking at 0:59-1:06 in the video was named Jon Scharfenberger.  He died in October of 2011 after being in a car accident while returning from a Students for Live event.  Having known Jon personally, and having seen his work for the pro-life cause (he was Pro Life club president in college, then worked for Students for Life in D.C. after graduation), I can tell you that these young men and women are doing good work and they need our prayers.  College campuses today are complex spiritual battlefields and it takes serious courage and faith to do what they are doing.

Yup. I work for a CPC, and abortions are down a lot in the past few years. However, those numbers are with whites and some immigrant communities. The African American and Native American communities still continue to receive abortions at extremely high rates, (in most states, for example, African Americans tend to get about 50% of the total number of abortions, and Native Americans can range from 20% to 35%) and those numbers have not decreased in recent years.

They are in desperate need of our prayers, and because of their tendency to isolate themselves from the rest of society, they also desperately need people willing to reach out to them who are from their racial group.

Yup. I work for a CPC, and abortions are down a lot in the past few years. However, those numbers are with whites and some immigrant communities. The African American and Native American communities still continue to receive abortions at extremely high rates, (in most states, for example, African Americans tend to get about 50% of the total number of abortions, and Native Americans can range from 20% to 35%) and those numbers have not decreased in recent years.

They are in desperate need of our prayers, and because of their tendency to isolate themselves from the rest of society, they also desperately need people willing to reach out to them who are from their racial group.

African Americans and Native Americans.  Two groups that experience poverty disproportionately.  Maybe rather than praying and harassing Planned Parenthood the pro-life crowed could support better social programs to supports mothers and children.  

Thanks for posting this video. The young man speaking at 0:59-1:06 in the video was named Jon Scharfenberger.  He died in October of 2011 after being in a car accident while returning from a Students for Live event.  Having known Jon personally, and having seen his work for the pro-life cause (he was Pro Life club president in college, then worked for Students for Life in D.C. after graduation), I can tell you that these young men and women are doing good work and they need our prayers.  College campuses today are complex spiritual battlefields and it takes serious courage and faith to do what they are doing.

Lord have mercy. I'm really sorry to hear that. :( His work made a difference.

African Americans and Native Americans.  Two groups that experience poverty disproportionately.  Maybe rather than praying and harassing Planned Parenthood the pro-life crowed could support better social programs to supports mothers and children.  

Yeah because clearly what they do is only harass people, and obviously it's impossible to develop social programs as well as oppose abortion. Shoo troll. >:l 

Lord have mercy. I'm really sorry to hear that. :( His work made a difference.

Yeah because clearly what they do is only harass people, and obviously it's impossible to develop social programs as well as oppose abortion. Shoo troll. >:l 

It's not impossible at all.  However that is not how the pro-life movement votes.  The pro-life vote overwhelmingly goes to the party currently obsessed with decimating the food stamps program.  

African Americans and Native Americans.  Two groups that experience poverty disproportionately.  Maybe rather than praying and harassing Planned Parenthood the pro-life crowed could support better social programs to supports mothers and children.  

While this is superficially true, I am not sure I agree. Hispanic, Hmong, and Somalian immigrants are actually often poorer than African Americans, and their abortion rates are the same as white people.

It's not impossible at all.  However that is not how the pro-life movement votes.  The pro-life vote overwhelmingly goes to the party currently obsessed with decimating the food stamps program.  

The pro-life movement is much larger than United States politics. You are referring to the Republican party in the US I suppose? The pro-life vote usually, or should, go to the party that best fits the values of the individual within the pro-life party. Not all values within the political party coincide with the values of the individual. This is a problem of representation.

What you seem to be accusing is a lack of responsibility for the poor, in specific the food stamps program. Let's reason. Are pro-lifer individuals given a choice, a vote for a party that is pro-life and also supports the food stamp program? I know very little, but it seems not. And if the pro-food stamp party is against life, it becomes a choice of political priorities. 

We also know that many pro-life people are involved in Church and charity, working outside the political system. Again, the criticism is narrow, based purely on the political. Based purely on American politics. Social justice requires a comprehensive understanding.