God the Father Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 So, it is an easy choice for me, I will choose to pay my bills Haha, you think you have a choice? What country do you think this is?
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 Thanks, I am not below the poverty line as far as the government is concerned, but alas I do not have the money to spare in order to buy an insurance plan (with a $5,000 deductible - truly hilarious). So, it is an easy choice for me, I will choose to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head and forego Obamacare insurance. I suppose I can simply opt for the tax penalty. Although since there apparently is no enforcement of the penalty (beyond the IRS taking the money out of any tax refund I may get in April), I suppose I do not have to pay it. I have already changed my withholding so that I will owe money in the future at tax time. You are eligible for subsidies as long as your annual income is below 400% of the poverty line. Head over to Healthcare.gov and sort it out there. The whole purpose of the system is so situations like yours are manageable! Obamacare is the biggest tax hike on the poor and middle class in history. We are already paying tons in emergency care through our taxes for people who do not have insurance. Emergency care is more costly overall than the cost of health coverage.
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 (edited) Haha, you think you have a choice? What country do you think this is? Technically the federal government says that I do not have a choice. After all it considers this to be a mandate. But I cannot do what I cannot pay for, and based upon my budget I must choose between paying my rent or buying health insurance. I will go with paying my rent. Same goes for food. I have to eat, but I do not have to have an insurance plan that I have no money to pay for. Edited October 12, 2013 by Apotheoun
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 (edited) You are eligible for subsidies as long as your annual income is below 400% of the poverty line. Head over to Healthcare.gov and sort it out there. The whole purpose of the system is so situations like yours are manageable! We are already paying tons in emergency care through our taxes for people who do not have insurance. Emergency care is more costly overall than the cost of health coverage. Evidently you cannot read, because I said even with the tax shifts I will get (i.e., money from someone richer than me that the federal government will tax for my benefit), I cannot afford the insurance. Now if you would like to send me some money I will gladly take it. Then I will purchase health insurance, but I want the money from you for the whole year, so that I know I will have the ability to pay the monthly installments. It has the added benefit for you of being a charitable act. Maybe you can even claim it on your income taxes as a write-off. Edited October 12, 2013 by Apotheoun
KnightofChrist Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 Ooooh! So when you said throughout your lifetime you meant your lifetime in the future? Also, if you cant pay for health insurance and you are below a certain percent of the poverty line, the government offers subsidies up to 90% of the cost. And even if you arent below that cut off and you cant pay, the government will still help out. I make to much to get the subsidies but I don't make enough to afford it. If I wanted to live in a card board box or give up my car instead sure but I don't.
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 Technically the federal government says that I do not have a choice. After all it considers this to be a mandate. But I cannot do what I cannot pay for, and based upon my budget I must choose between paying my rent or buying health insurance. I will go with paying my rent. Same goes for food. I have to eat, but I do not have to have an insurance plan that I have no money to pay for. If you honestly have 0 way of paying for the insurance and you are afraid that youll have to take the penalty, then you must not understand how ACA works. I want everyone to have Healthcare so I urge you to go talk to someone and figure out a plan because there ARE ways to pay for it if you cant afford it. The government will help you. The WHOLE POINT is that people like you are not left out. It is up TO YOU to get the most out of this. There ARE ways (like those I have already mentioned) as well as others for personal circumstances to help make the payment easier. It seems like you are very afraid of your future right now and it doesnt need to be the case. Take the time to see how the ACA can cover you to make it work.
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 Crosscut, I tell you that I cannot afford to buy the insurance, and you tell me about all the lovely government subsidies I can get to help pay for it. You certainly are free with other people's money. If you are truly concerned about my health and well-being then I would be pleased to allow you to help me out - as I said above - by sending me the necessary funds.
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 It seems like you are very afraid of your future right now and it doesnt need to be the case. Take the time to see how the ACA can cover you to make it work. I am more afraid for young people like yourself, who are so willing to give up liberty for government aid programs.
KnightofChrist Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 (edited) If you honestly have 0 way of paying for the insurance and you are afraid that youll have to take the penalty, then you must not understand how ACA works. I want everyone to have Healthcare so I urge you to go talk to someone and figure out a plan because there ARE ways to pay for it if you cant afford it. The government will help you. The WHOLE POINT is that people like you are not left out. It is up TO YOU to get the most out of this. There ARE ways (like those I have already mentioned) as well as others for personal circumstances to help make the payment easier. It seems like you are very afraid of your future right now and it doesnt need to be the case. Take the time to see how the ACA can cover you to make it work. You should call the White House or the DNC Headquarters and see if you can get paid for your promotion of their abusive and unjust law. You should not have to advocate it for free. Edited October 12, 2013 by KnightofChrist
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 If you honestly have 0 way of paying for the insurance and you are afraid that youll have to take the penalty, then you must not understand how ACA works. I want everyone to have Healthcare so I urge you to go talk to someone and figure out a plan because there ARE ways to pay for it if you cant afford it. I have read about Obamacare. You are aware that Obamacare is going to leave somewhere around 30 to 40 million people uninsured. You must know that. I will no doubt be one of those millions.
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 I make to much to get the subsidies but I don't make enough to afford it. If I wanted to live in a card board box or give up my car instead sure but I don't. 400% of the poverty line for a single person is a ~$45k I dont know your living situation but you can check some others in the link. http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 400% of the poverty line for a single person is a ~$45k I dont know your living situation but you can check some others in the link. http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html Thanks, but once again you are not getting the point. Even with the subsidies I cannot pay for the portion that is not subsidized. I will accept the money from you, but you seem very unwilling to do that, so perhaps you really do not care if I have health insurance at all. How uncaring of you.
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 I am more afraid for young people like yourself, who are so willing to give up liberty for government aid programs. Im just trying to be helpful. :idontknow:
KnightofChrist Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 400% of the poverty line for a single person is a ~$45k I dont know your living situation but you can check some others in the link.http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html I can't afford it, I can not afford the Affordable Care Act. I have already looked into it.
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 Im just trying to be helpful. :idontknow: Posting web-links that I can find myself is not helpful, but cash would be appreciated.
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 Thanks, but once again you are not getting the point. Even with the subsidies I cannot pay for the portion that is not subsidized. I will accept the money from you, but you seem very unwilling to do that, so perhaps you really do not care if I have health insurance at all. How uncaring of you. The average cost for americans to pay for the MID-TIER insurance plan is going to be about $328/mo. I also misspoke earlier and its a 95% subsidies if you cant pay. So you would only have to pay $16.40/mo for mid-tier, You can choose a low-tier for cheaper.
KnightofChrist Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 The average cost for americans to pay for the MID-TIER insurance plan is going to be about $328/mo. I also misspoke earlier and its a 95% subsidies if you cant pay. So you would only have to pay $16.40/mo for mid-tier, You can choose a low-tier for cheaper. How does a faithful Catholic advocate a law that abuses the liberty of the Church?
CrossCuT Posted October 12, 2013 Author Posted October 12, 2013 How does a faithful Catholic advocate a law that abuses the liberty of the Church? I do not support the HHS mandate.
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 (edited) You are aware that that is the average cost, that is not the cost in California. In California a silver plan costs $272 a month with a $140 government subsidy. I will accept your check for $1,584 so that I can pay the $132 monthly amount. Edited October 12, 2013 by Apotheoun
Apotheoun Posted October 12, 2013 Posted October 12, 2013 I do not support the HHS mandate. Well, it still applies so you are gonna pay it, and even if the Church gets exemptions for itself and its institutions, which I have my doubts about it getting, you would still be personally subject to the HHS mandate.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now