An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink + Ploomf

arfink

• 2 months later...

Just a quick bump to say we have now picked out a date and things are starting to come together.

Katie and I will be married on August 15th of 2014, the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary. This is, as many of you know, a Holy Day of Obligation, but my pastor has generously agreed to do an extra mass for us that day. We'll be using the propers for the solemnity instead of the usual wedding-ish readings so that the wedding mass will fulfill the obligation, as a courtesy to our guests. And because, come on, getting married on a Holy Day like that is too cool!

There will be a whole pile of priests there too, as I have a great number of priest-friends who were my classmates in seminary.

The story of how we wound up with the 15th is actually kinda cool too. We'd been praying for Mary's intercession in wedding planning. We got pushed back and forth during the planning process (due to the pastor holding things up and other issues) such that we no longer could get any Saturday in any of the months we wanted, so we picked a Friday. We liked the 22nd of August as another possible option. Katie liked it because August 22 is the feast of the Queenship of Mary and was a little disappointed that we couldn't get the 22nd due to a scheduling error with the banquet hall. They had the following Friday open, and the one before. We didn't want to go any later than the weekend of the 22nd because of her bridesmaids needing to have kids in school by then, so we picked the weekend before, the 15th, without consulting the calendar first or anything. We just grabbed it because we knew if we waited any longer we might lose our last opportunity to even get a hall at all.

As we sat down with the pastor to discuss dates, I mentioned we had already booked a hall for August 15th. His eyes got real big and he said, "Wait, isn't that a Holy Day?" Me: "No, of obligation? Really? Uh oh, now what?" Father: "Oh, well I guess we could just use the readings for the day. How does 11:30 sound?"

I guess Mary had other ideas for us. :dance:

Not The Philosopher

Cool!

Though, as a side note, to my understanding, I think that for a Holy Day of Obligation, attending a Mass alone would fulfill the obligation - regardless of whether or not the propers of the particular feast are used. I think the use of the correct propers is more of a liturgical obligation for the priest. I could be wrong though.

Yay, I win the bet. Now if only I had money or at least a bet on this.

Congrats guys. I have no doubt that you are a great match.

Is the 10th wedding paid for by phatmass?

They get paid for???

Yay, I win the bet. Now if only I had money or at least a bet on this.

Congrats guys. I have no doubt that you are a great match.

They get paid for???

What bet? :P

What church will you two be getting hitched at?

Ooh ooh, I know this one. I know this one. ... The Catholic Church?

i<3franciscans

Its late, but this thread popped up during my phatmass hiatus so Congrats to you both!!! :)

Getting married on the Assumption is wicked awesome! :yahoo:

This is awesome!

May I say, 

Congratulations! I'll be going on pilgrimage soon, and we'll definitely keep you guys in prayer!