the171 Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Lemme update ya. 1. Fractured spine=fractured coccyx. I'm not paralyzed. 2. I fell out of a friend's hammock when I was seeing how many times I could flip it simultaneously. I hit concrete. I know. Lamest story ever. It fits for me doe! 3. If you receive a text, call, email, whatever from me that includes crappy spelling, incorrect grammar, and/or anything else weird for me, laugh and disregard it. Periods of lucidity and periods of Percocet fueled oddities. xoxo, the171
CrossCuT Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Just tell people you broke your coccyx while riding the sand dunes.
mortify ii Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 If oxycodone is causing hullucinations might be a good idea to inform MD and get it switched to something else perhaps.
AnneLine Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Sorry to hear that, the171. Sounds like a pretty steep tuition for not phlipping round in a hammock! One the other hand... could have been a LOT worse, so pay the tuition and slowly get moooooving again. FCC put in the prayer room you might want some ideas for things to keep the nausea down while on the meds... You might try crackers or biscuits or bread... maybe milk... or a banana.... all of those (or at least a little of some of those) will coat your stomach and help with the nausea. If it is really bad, let your health professionals know... sometimes they can give you something to counteract the nausea. BUT really important to TAKE THE MEDS with food, or you can get really sick. Praying for you, hun.....
Anastasia13 Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 (edited) coccyx-first bone I ever broke/fractured I found the initial pain went away faster than a broken toe, but when I started to feel like I could do things normally I could not lean back on my coccyx for a long period of time lest it hurt. This did go away eventually. I still appreciated soft cushions and occasionally good posture. (AKA, it gets better, and hang in there. You should feel better soon. :) ) Drug stores sell inflatable doughnuts. If you half inflate one, you can stick it behind you when driving. This helped me. http://youtu.be/otlRLPu2FWM Edited November 6, 2013 by Light and Truth
Comingback Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Pain meds should not make you throw up this way. I have had 8 surgeries and the only pain med that did this to me was Demerol. Something else might work just as good for you regarding the pain and not make you throw up. The doctor might change your script. You for sure don't want to get dehydrated. Praying for you!!
Anastasia13 Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Pain meds should not make you throw up this way. I have had 8 surgeries and the only pain med that did this to me was Demerol. Something else might work just as good for you regarding the pain and not make you throw up. The doctor might change your script. You for sure don't want to get dehydrated. Praying for you!! My dad was like this when he was on morphine.
ChristinaTherese Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 My dad has had problems with that med too. I would second other people's comments and say you should go complain to your doctor. He can probably give you something that doesn't give you as many problems.
AnneLine Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 Talk to the doctor and/or call the pharmacy. They can tell you if this is a common side effect and may be able to suggest some better ways to manage it. Don't just take it throwing up.... ;)
ToJesusMyHeart Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 You should request Dilaudid (hydromorphone). When I had appendicitis, they gave me morphine for the pain (before surgery, when it was on the verge of rupture), but the morphine didn't really help much and it made me really nauseated. Then they switched me to Dilaudid and my pain vanished, along with the nausea. It was bliss. Highly recommended.
mortify ii Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 You should request Dilaudid (hydromorphone). When I had appendicitis, they gave me morphine for the pain (before surgery, when it was on the verge of rupture), but the morphine didn't really help much and it made me really nauseated. Then they switched me to Dilaudid and my pain vanished, along with the nausea. It was bliss. Highly recommended. Dilaudid is a heavy duty opioid, I doubt an MD would be willing to write for it outside of a hospital setting, unless perhaps they're treating a cancer patient. If Percocet is causing oddities and a patient is dealing with a facture, mid to high strength vicodin is a good go to drug, even high strength ibuprofen by prescription can be a big help.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 They gave it to me as an out-patient, too. :idontknow:
AnneLine Posted November 6, 2013 Posted November 6, 2013 The other thing to factor in here, Kiddo, is that sometimes pain meds act differently on teens than on adults. And THAT can mean that what SHOULD block pain isn't doing the right job. Or might make you sick. SOOOO... call the doctor or pharmacist! If they are closed for the night, see if there is an all-night pharmacy around with a pharmacist on duty -- they will be able to suggest some things and/or tell you if it is time to rouse the doc or go to the hospital. Feel better!
Archaeology cat Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 I got really sick from Demerol as a teen. They then gave me phenergan. I second everything AnneLine said. Different people respond differently to different meds, so let your doc know.
AnneLine Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 AnneLine had to have emergency major surgery at 19 and knows of what she speaks. And can't handle Demerol or lots of morphine based meds to this day. Definitely check in with a med professional.... ;)
brandelynmarie Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Demerol shooter with a phenergan chaser totally KO'ed me. :) Vicodin only works if that is what I'm given first, oddly enough. Pain meds are meant to take away pain, not add to it! I agree with the above, call your doctor ASAP.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Update on sweet D... She was in a lot of distress earlier, couldn't even keep water down. Since then she got anti nausea meds and has been able to keep down some food (I don't know what). She's trying to get an appt with an orthopedic surgeon asap. Please pray. She needs it. Also, if you have theories, ideas, suggestions, etc, please PM ME and not her. I know it can get really overwhelming to have so many "phatmass doctors" on the scene. ;) All and any prayers are more than appreciated.
Archaeology cat Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Poor kid! I have definitely been there after my knee surgeries. I don't have suggestions, really, just prayers.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Update: They couldn't get in with the orthopedic surgeon. She is being admitted to the hospital. They think because it's an open fracture that it may be infected. Please keep praying.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now