An Old School Catholic Message Board

German Actress Becomes Nun

Teresita

Hello everyone! So happy I found this site, which is full of information, resources, etc.

Recenlty, I was told about a German actress, Katja Giammona, who supposedly gave up movies, glamour, etc. to become a nun. Not sure of the timeline (I think it was the past five years or so, but I could be wrong) or the religious order involved, but was just wondering if anyone had heard of this or had any further information on this. I know she made movies in Europe but am not sure about Hollywood. I thought this was an inspiring story, if true, and would like further details.

Thanks and God bless!

Not likely since she has a daughter and is 38yo.  Maybe she joined a third order or something else?

http://www.kath.net/news/16897

Then you have learned a day job not only for all cases, but the whole set on acting?

Yes, this has resulted in pregnancy. Without my child I would not have gone this route. At that time I said to myself: all have given up on me, now I've lost everything, now I have nothing. Well, I'm just lost, then I have nothing more to lose. Now I dare!

Hi, Teresita, welcome to Phatmass!  :welcome:

I don't know anything about that actress, but there was a Croatian actress who entered the Carmelites in Avila a few years ago. I suspect the stories may have gotten combined.

This is a link to the Phatmass discussion of the vocation of the actress Edita Majić:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109813-croatian-actress-professes-solemn-vows-in-avila/#.UnxwAJ3TlMs

It looks like Katia is pretty religious and interested in religious life as well....

Edited by AnneLine

Teresita, as I know no German, I copy/pasted the text of the article for which ND gave the link http://www.kath.net/news/16897  into Google Translate.  This was part 2 of a 2 part interview.  I also found part 1 and did the same.  So, Google translations are below.  (Atrocious but oceans better than I could ever do!)

I looked at her filmography on IMDB.com and I see it stops dead in 2008 - nothing since then.  If you read the interviews below you see a true conversion - enduring, well-founded, marked by some mystical experiences.  And her daughter is now an adult (age 18 or 19)  So...who knows?  Perhaps there is some validity to what you heard.  If she has entered religious life, because her past infidelties were so public it would make perfect sense that she just "disappear" (unlike, for ex. the Croatian actress AnneLine mentioned above, whose entrance into Carmel was well publicized).

Nun or not, it seems she received great graces and has responded to them. 

AGAIN, be prepared for HIDEOUS translation!  Very much worth reading, however, if you're interested in the subject....

------------------------------------------------------

May 30, 2007

TV star Katja Giammona , 'My child has made ​​me strong '

Interview with the 31 -year-old actress, who had an extraordinary way to the Catholic Faith (Part 1) .

Munich ( www.kath.net / KIN) The 31 -year-old resident of Berlin Katja Giammona this year is an audience of millions through her ​​starring role in the German film " Love in Cuba " and her role as Pia Lombardi in the ZDF series "Unser Charly become " known .

In conversation with Michael Ragg she describes her accompanied by exceptional events away from the Jehovah's Witnesses to the Catholic faith , its nine -month battle for her daughter's life and about do not get to hear what "Charly " viewers ...

MICHAEL RAGG : Woman Giammona , I read somewhere that you had to first learn to " Unser Charly " that there are facial muscles ...

KATJA Giammona : Yes, because I have to smile or laugh as always . Mainly because of the animals , because of Charly , but also because of the kids who play . It's all very merry and motley . Therefore, we must also repeat the scene again and again.
Sometimes we are eight to ten or twelve hours in the studio or out and then I get face hangover , come home and no longer can - and feel that I have muscles in the face .

How is it when a monkey plays the main role?

Loud! Very loud! When I turn to him , always screaming two trainers , one is left , one right . One says: "Touch -on" and another said, " Run away ! " . That is, when I talk to my (television) or with other aunt and the monkey must move there , I hear , as I speak , cries the left , right, cries , sometimes behind my back , because the coach stoops there and markings shows . So you have to focus , ignore the noise and speak the text.
Mostly is then dubbed in the studio

Giammona woman , you are Italian , your parents have come before your birth from Italy to Germany . They themselves were born in Wolfsburg and raised in the faith of Jehovah's Witnesses .
How was that?

We children grew up in this faith and have been extremely busy with the study of the Bible. We had very little contact with the outside world . Watching TV did not exist. We were really encapsulated and far away from everything that is happening in the world . Even five years ago, I went along with my parents from house to house . If I then stood by classmates at the door , I was a bit embarrassing. When I dared for the first time to even begin the conversation at the front door , my wife has then slammed the door in his face. That was a shock for me. And then she poured cooking water from the window above us.
These are traumatic memories.

When you were fourteen years of age , your whole family has left .
Why ?

My father preached at the Jehovah's Witnesses . Over time he has read critical writings of curiosity , whose reading was actually banned . This staggered his faith , he began to doubt . He researched and found that is not proclaim the God of love with the witness. During this time, my uncle , my mother's brother , Lord " banished " from the witnesses , a Catholic because he loved and lived with her. We should avoid contact with him. Then my father said, " That's enough ! This is not a God who demands such a thing for me. We get out ! "That was very bad. My father came into the nursery and made ​​me realize that God is dead . God never existed . " You grew up with a lie ," he told me . Our family had broken with God. Even the table prayer was prohibited. My father was then but not at peace with itself and took us at least allowed to pray in silence , but each on its own.
Everyone had to speak his own personal God.

What consequences did it , as did you leave Jehovah's Witnesses ?

At the moment it is as if you banished from paradise. We were cursed as it were , had nothing to do with God. From that moment we were not connected with any of the Jehovah's Witnesses have more contact. We were really out there , as we had a contagious disease . Even the Jehovah's Witnesses had the contact to avoid us and cancel .
That is to say , we were very isolated , we had no more friends.

The question of God has never let go . Over many trials and tribulations you have come to the home in the Catholic Church. One of the most important milestones was certainly your baptism.
How did it happen ?

I knew from an early age that behind this black ceiling, which we call heaven , must be something . But I did not know how to get there . I had the feeling that the sky was made ​​of concrete. I felt pressed to the floor. At the time I was suffering from asthma. A friend said I should go to a man who had the gifts of the Holy Spirit. This told me that my inner liberation would take place when I am baptized . Actually I wanted to belong to any religion. I just had a bad experience .
But since I loved Jesus , who was baptized too , but I decided for the Catholic baptism.

Most Christians can not even remember their baptism , because they have received them as infants .
How did you feel at your baptism?

I already felt in my decision an effect. My mother and I sat in the car . Here I have decided to be baptized. The moment was a very large dove from heaven . There are witnesses . People have stopped on the street because the dove was as big as a cloud - but it was a pigeon. It was incredible. On this day , as if the sky widens , he was blue , he was not crushed me . At that moment I felt the joy and the happiness that has come into my heart. I was transformed .
Even with this decision , I was a new person was extroverted and introverted Katja and life-affirming.

Had an impact on your health?

Yes, I was suffering from depression , futility felt , had asthma and migraine. All complaints were then completely gone at once . After the baptism, I felt like I was liberated.
It was as if my chains were swept away as if I can fly and weigh very little , as if I had previously weighed hundreds of kilos and am suddenly light as a feather .

Do you think that this experience has become just given , that God would give a sign to you personally or anything like that almost always happens in Baptism ?

I am hundred percent sure that this happens at every baptism. I could feel the immediate and perceive. But that happens when you can not remember . There are so many things to which we can not remember us when we are great.
Baptism is also a mystical thing we notice is not rational or can measure .

After your baptism you have not stopped to look any further . They were not immediately a Catholic churchgoer .
How your life has further developed ?

During the visit of the Holy Mass or even a church, I always cry. Eventually , I was advised to steer clear of the church. I should finally have everything under control.
Some others said I should look for a faith that fits me, not the triggers such emotions in me.

And then you are like many other actors also come to Buddhism.
What kind of experience ?

A friendly doctor opened me access to Tibet , culture and faith of this country, the Dalai Lama and to all fonts. I felt some relief in Buddhism. That seemed to do well . I thought that might be the way . This friend gave me the idea : " Katya, not because you want to be a Buddhist " Why not , I said , that's fine, that 's not even a concrete, organized religion, but rather suggested , since it is free

But nothing came of it .
Why ?

It was important that I stay baptized. As a Buddhist, I would have had to take on a new name. One day the doctor friend called me and told me that he had made ​​with a Buddhist, a " champion " , yoga and prayer . They had lit candles. In a flickering flame, they saw Jesus dressed in white , who hugged me. Jesus had held me and said, " Leave her alone , she belongs to me," I said: Of course I belong to him. And then it said : You can not be a Buddhist. This friend then said: If Jesus occurs, then we have to respect him . If He says you belong to him , then we can not do anything because he does not want , He holds you. The doctor friend told me that someday I would an avowed Catholic, someday I would be really Catholic.
But I could not believe it.

Until it was time, is also still a lot going on . They have already become the age of nineteen mother.
The birth of her daughter hanging by a thread .

The pregnancy was very difficult . This was also the time when I have my mental attachment to these people , who had advised me to be baptized canceled . He was by then my spiritual companion . When I was pregnant , he advised me to have an abortion because of the love God so wished . I would avoid the work of God , if I got the child.
I would avoid the work of God , if I got the child , which was complete rubbish .

He was not the only one who has advised you at the time .
Came the killing of your child for you to out of the question ?

Yes . It was clear from the beginning that I want to have the child. It was a miracle that my child was alive and well in the world, despite prevention , despite these severe " morning after" pill . The doctors gave my daughter all sorts of complications due to any great opportunities. From the fifth month it got really bad . My daughter grew up not right, I often had fever . Then it was that I should let her go. That was really a very big war , emotionally , mentally and physically seen . The doctors told me and others , I must 'it' let go, so I 'm not mentally perish if I lose it . I always answered : No, leave me alone ! My child is alive! In the Psalms in the Bible and I sought my refuge . For me, it was clear that I , my child , and God against the rest of the world. During this time, my mother has returned to the Catholic faith , precisely because of my pregnancy. I would have aborted the pregnancy , my mother would probably not return to the Catholic Church.
I myself had the assurance that God has cast his eyes on me and my child .

The decisive step to practicing Catholic, you went through a pilgrimage .
How was that?

At that time, my daughter was on vacation with her father and my mother's friend invited me to join them on a pilgrimage . She offered me some goals . Fatima and Lourdes were too famous, the hype was too big for me . I wanted something quieter . We went to Medjugorje in Bosnia - Herzegovina. Curiosity certainly played a role .
Back of my head I was thinking , maybe the pilgrimage would also be good times for a good documentation , in the sense of "what the crazy Catholics make everything so " .

How have they then learn the pilgrimage ?

My first impression was that there were all very religious. The people prayed , many had a guitar with me and played worship songs . I found everything wonderful, I met people there who were just lovely , no matter what profession and what country they came from. They were very eager to be loving and polite. I did not feel that anyone pays attention to who I am, where I come from , what I do professionally , whom I know. Here I was simply being human , I could cry, run around without makeup .
I was a pilgrimage with my heels , but then I 've moved out sometime and could forget all vanity.

What then was the breakthrough for peace of mind to want to fully belong to the Catholic Church?

That happened when I 'm gone up at the Cross Mountain Medjugorje. The shrine itself, I had the feeling that the priests knew everything about my life. I fled to the mountain. For the first time I prayed aloud with the Cross . Then they said I should take with me a stone on the mountain and put up. While we are gone off the Cross , I perceived that this stone was soft and warm and knocked . I began to cry crying up the whole crossroads . And I stood up in front of Mary , before the statue of Mary . Here I had in mind all at once I saw where I had been missing all my life .
I thought that after this incident, I must die.

But why it had to be calculated , the Catholic Church for you where there but since the Pope and the celibacy and the holy water and all these things are , thrilled that progressive minds ?

This question I have asked myself . That too , I thought. I'm anything but Catholic! The experience on the mountain but not rationally or intellectually hit me , but at heart . I just knew that God lives, He is present . The people there but they were all Catholic. So it must have something to do with the Catholic faith . Since I 've started to get intensively involved in the church (...)

May 31, 2007 , 14:50

TV star Katja Giammona : The Catholic Church is my haven '

Interview with the 31 -year-old actress, who had an extraordinary way to the Catholic Faith (Part 2) .

Munich ( www.kath.net / KIN) The 31 -year-old resident of Berlin Katja Giammona this year is an audience of millions through her ​​starring role in the German film " Love in Cuba " and her role as Pia Lombardi in the ZDF series "Unser Charly become " known . In conversation with Michael Ragg she describes of her extraordinary experiences on their way to faith. We publish the second part of the interview with Katja Giammona .

They were not only occupied with the faith, but also with your career as an actress. What is actually to be your desire, actress , has been added to your family?

Katja Giammona : From an early age I wanted to be an actress or pop star , I wanted somehow to the stage. I have always written their own roles and pieces . My dad always told that I had from my grandmother and great-grandmother . I had already in the blood . As a Jehovah Witness child that was of course not an issue. But later found that my father actually quite good . Dutifully, he advised me though to learn a "normal" job, but secretly he thought it was great that I dare . As a dancer, I 'm even become disco queen . My father was very proud when I was named the Disco Queen of Lower Saxony.

Then you have learned a day job not only for all cases, but the whole set on acting ?

Yes, this has resulted in pregnancy. Without my child I would not have gone this route. At that time I said to myself : all have given up on me , now I 've lost everything , now I have nothing. Well, I 'm just lost , then I have nothing more to lose. Now I dare!

And you also had the feeling that this is not just a passion, but that has something to do with God that he wants to invoke something very special?

Yes, and I thought the best I can do something great for God, if I am known or famous. I also had a missionary zeal. I wanted people to proclaim the loving God and testify. And I thought, this is now the way I can make him famous. Much later, in Medjugorje , I have realized who is a true star : a holy man through and through .

What were your first steps into acting out in?

After the birth of my daughter I started acting classes. And then eventually I had photos and a small CV and I applied at the Bavaria Film Studios. It was very hard at all to get somewhere, as I had no agency and was able to show any films. But very soon I got a call that I had been discovered by a director who wanted me in his RTL production, in a feature film.

In Germany there is the great debate, either children or career. When you were pregnant, was certainly also said, if you want to have the baby, you can forget the career. Have you had such thoughts?

No, I thought not allowed. They tried to tell me that. I believed that I can do it, if God wills it. You can do anything with God, because I had no doubts . I knew I can do it! And just a child, I felt stronger.

How do you manage it as a single mother, work and concern for the daughter to reconcile ?

When I make a movie, then my daughter is usually at school or someone is watching them. It's not that I'm missing much. When a TV movie is made, then I'm more than a month away . And then someone can always jump in, such as grandparents or the father . She is also at times with him anyway. I was shooting during the school holidays in Turkey and Greece, they flew me to Athens. Now, when I play in the series "Unser Charly " , which is rotated at my residence in Berlin , it has become easier anyway.

You have already very early to get good roles, for example in the " scene " , or in the series " Precious and Starck " and "Berlin , Berlin" . As the acting career has affected your lifestyle?

In this way, I hit a bit out of line and I have forgotten God. I have experienced a lot, had fun, of course, was also at the Cannes Film Festival , 'm just flew to Italy to shop, let me enchanted by this glamor and have enjoyed all the beauty, the food, la dolce vita. Since I was in the middle. I have sheer activity, for sheer fun and celebration, stopped, lost the connection to God.

But they have found faith again and again approached the Catholic Church . So what has changed in your life?

On the pilgrimage to Medjugorje I noticed that I was in all the glitz and glamor but in a manner alone. I myself was not necessarily the best friend to others. My relationships were very superficial, consumption and celebrations dominated my life. After my pilgrimage, I have noticed that belongs more to life, it grew an inner longing for depth and to the people who believe in God are just like me. In my environment, I was almost the only one who has talked about God. And so I have found the Catholic faith to Christians who also burning, professing Christians. This then gives me and it was very nice to just talk openly about these experiences.

Their environment has also noticed the "new Katja "?

Yes, noticed especially my daughter. Eventually, she said to her friends: "  Will ye also have a dear mother , then go with her to church," I was a quiet , loving , attentive, was not as hectic and also took me more time for my daughter. After this change, I first once taken me a few months out for silence, contemplation and prayer. After that, I said goodbye to many people who were just there to party. I went my own way, with a certain distance to my previous environment. I met new people, and new work colleagues , and so me of the Holy Spirit has gradually made ​​the "new man" . My priorities have shifted. It is not my intention to have the newest of the newest or the most beautiful of the most beautiful. Of course, I 'm not averse to wearing nice clothes or nice shoes. But my existence depends not on it. Many of these externals are gone.

Now some will say that Katie has had such a colorful life, everything you dreamed of as : jet set , the full life . And that is at once catholic now. Is not vanished from her life all the color?

No, not at all! Katie's life is always colorful. Even if I go to church and religious people get to know - these are just people like everyone else. There are also weak people in the church, but there are also strong . Just because one is a believer and a Christian, does not say, now I get no more aircraft, or I avoid to drink a glass of red wine, because it's too much enjoyment. Remember the good things in life, by faith I can enjoy it even more deeply, grateful and joyful .

As a devout Catholic you go to Mass . What can you gain from that?

Before my baptism, I had not even attended the Catholic mass. I did not know what the word "sacrament " . The term "catechism " I could not even pronounce until recently . After I returned from the pilgrimage home and had retired, I noticed at church that I got pain when some men and women have received the communion. For me it was clear that this should not, but I could not explain why. At a conference I was telling a priest of the Legionaries of Christ from these events. He calmed me down and said, because the Holy Spirit is at work in me, because these people were not allowed to receive communion because they were not Christians but belonged to a different faith. The priest asked me if I knew the catechism and advised me to buy one. This is what I did. Those were my first steps to the sacraments.

Really check out this corpulent work containing the treasure of the Church of two thousand years ?

You have to read the Catechism! I 'm already really become the detective - with magnifying glass! I also read the encyclicals of Pope. It's about Jesus! How can we otherwise know what is Catholic, with so many false teachings in our time ? In teaching writing is about the church and this is but at least the mystical body of Jesus Christ. I have found in the Catechism of the faith. In it, I discovered that the Catholic Church my home is my haven .

The Jehovah's negative experiences with " church " from the time a witness you have not deterred ?

No. Depending on where I turn, my colleagues note that I try every day to go to the fair. That was the case when we added the feature film "A Love to Cuba " on Cuba. Once I was free and was no longer to see all knew". Katja is in the Church" The all found very appealing. Once I was asked what I look for in the church and what do I get from there. Then I said: " His body and His blood, the communion ! " Then one has remarked: "You're the first person who says that. You know, if all Catholics know that mystery is happening at the altar ... " I asked: How do you know ? " I was once a Satanist ," he replied. Then he said: "You have very good care of this sacrament " ...

Is regular church attendance important?

Yes, of course, you have to get up every day and go back to bed . To get up and heard mass. I have the church service integrated into my rhythm of life. This is as important as breathing and eating for me.

As it is with the confessions ? That falls so many especially difficult . The confessionals have emptied in recent decades - now it begins again maybe a little ....

The question is whether it's just difficult. This can also be seen positively. If it is hard it is, someone concerned with his conscience and seeks to actually appear quite humble before God. Or it hard because you're careless. That's a big difference.

Learn colleagues at the respective rotation -site also means that you are Catholic?

Not directly. When I work, I work , I do not pray the rosary demonstrative . We also talk to colleagues about everything, about Italy, for example . But of course there arise occasions. In Greece, I've been trying to find a Catholic church , and was ushered out of a Greek Orthodox church with a bit of bread. Do remember that my colleagues already when they go shopping and Katja is in search of a monastery. Then we start talking. There have been many good discussions. My colleagues think it's great. They say if everyone were as I would, they go to church: " Katya, you are living the " .

Especially by your appearance in the ZDF series "Unser Charly " They have become a familiar television face. Because you feel a bit of a role model , especially as a Catholic ?

Yes, absolutely. I try to really stay in touch with God, especially through the sacraments. Then my work speak for me , without me having to exert myself . It is automatically modeled, if you're lucky .

They have published a biography, an interview book that says, " ... but would not have the love." At your request, a € a part of the support goes to the organization " Mano Amiga " ( " Helping Hand " ) , another part goes to the worldwide Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need . What do you like so to these two organizations?

Both are close to my heart. " Mano Amiga " helps children in Latin America, so that they also get an education and thus have a future . By ACN I experienced, in which emergency situation, there are many Christians. It is so important that it assists because, well that makes the plight of Christians known and reported it. Here, many more people have to get involved and know what 's happening ! I have told many of my colleagues, who knew nothing about it .

In your movies is actually always look good. Do you think that there will be the life of the individual, with the life of humanity as a whole a happy ending ?

Yes, as it says in the Bible: There is a happy ending ! Of course!

Not likely since she has a daughter and is 38yo.  Maybe she joined a third order or something else?

http://www.kath.net/news/16897

Then you have learned a day job not only for all cases, but the whole set on acting?

Yes, this has resulted in pregnancy. Without my child I would not have gone this route. At that time I said to myself: all have given up on me, now I've lost everything, now I have nothing. Well, I'm just lost, then I have nothing more to lose. Now I dare!

Notre Dame, thanks for your response. I am fairly certain that she was supposed to enter "regular" religious life, not a third order. From what I heard, she might have entered the Daughters of the Heart of Jesus (not sure if this is correct), but from what I understand, their habit is very distinctive and white, and the actress to whom I am referring wears a floor-length habit, (black) with a black veil (no neck covering) and a blue sash, so that made me wonder if that is a work habit? Or a different order?

Hi, Teresita, welcome to Phatmass!  :welcome:

I don't know anything about that actress, but there was a Croatian actress who entered the Carmelites in Avila a few years ago. I suspect the stories may have gotten combined.

This is a link to the Phatmass discussion of the vocation of the actress Edita Majić:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109813-croatian-actress-professes-solemn-vows-in-avila/#.UnxwAJ3TlMs

It looks like Katia is pretty religious and interested in religious life as well....

Anneline, thanks for the welcome!

And thanks for the link to the Croatian actress. What an inspiration!

I am pretty sure the actress to whom I was referring is a different one. Her name is Katja Giammona. But I can't seem to find anything about her entering religious life.

Again, thanks for the help and the cheerful welcome!

Hi Tersita,

Welcome to our little phorum!  Glad to have you with us,..

Thank you so much, Francis Clare! So happy I found this website!

Aya Sophia, thanks so much for the articles. Yes, it does seem she underwent a profound conversion. And it is interesting that her film career stops in 2008. That would correlate with what I heard about her entering the convent within the past 5 years or so. But I can't find anything about her entrance into relgious life, if that did indeed happen. Even though she might have wanted to keep the matter quiet, since she had been an actress who seemed to be fairly well known in Europe, I would have thought that something might have been reported about it, in spite of and perhaps because of prior infidelities. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had heard she entered the Daughters of the Heart of Jesus in Germany, but their habit is very distinctive and white, and from what I understand, she wears a floor-length black habit, black veil and blue sash, which is supposed to be in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes, I think. I wish I could find something confirming or denying this. Anyway, thanks so much for the articles and info!

I love your avatar! Regina Decor Carmeli, ora pro nobis!

I asked a friend to google around in German.  He found a german, catholic wikipedia site that says a lot of things as the others, but found nothing to support the idea she entered a convent.  

http://www.kathpedia.com/index.php?title=Katja_Giammona

I'm curious why you are so certain she entered religious life?

Notre Dame, thanks so much for your assistance. And please thank your friend, too! The reason I am fairly certain she entered religious life was because a priest friend had told me. He has a friend who recently visited Germany and met Katja Giammona, and his friend told him she was supposed to be a nun and was dressed in a religious habit, as I described above. But evidently was not staying or connected with a convent at the time. I think he said she was attempting to start a new order, but she maintained she had previously been a nun somewhere, I assume in Germany. I was interested in this and have a friend that was also discerning a vocation and was wondering if this was a legitimate option to consider. Thanks again and God bless!