An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aclu Sues American Catholic Bishops

Luigi

This is persecution.  Until we put the fear of God into politicians at the ballot box, I expect the left to continue to persecute the Church for it's stands against abortion, 'contraception', homosexuality, etc. 

Sob, sob.  Somebody call the whambulance.  The mean old ACLU is trying to stop the poor church from limiting the freedoms of other people!!!!  :'(.  :'(   

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Are you allowed to go to holy mass if you get ex communicated, or can you just not partake of the holy sacraments ?

Sob, sob.  Somebody call the whambulance.  The mean old ACLU is trying to stop the poor church from limiting the freedoms of other people!!!!  :'(.  :'(   

what about the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" and religious freedom, that this ACLU may infringe?  Cowboy!

Edited by add

the ACLU is like the most annoying kid on the playground who tattles on everyone for stupid **** who then cries and whines when the grown-ups tell him to knock it off.

On the other hand I don't like Catholics whining about persecution. Yes the current culture is quite hostile to our values and is trying to abolish the Church's influence, but Christ didn't tell us to whine about it. I think He said something more about prayer, persistence, and not being surprised/melodramatic, He might of even told us to rejoice when we are persecuted. But I don't remember exactly, He might have been crazy.

In summation: punch the ACLU in the mouth, don't whine at them.

By definition, Catholic hospitals are private institutions, not public. They can offer whatever services they choose to, and not offer other services.

The problem is that the ACLU wants the right to tell private institutions what services to offer.

Let the ACLU open their own hospitals and offer any services they want to.

The ACLU by itself wouldn't concern me so much if the President, the entire executive branch, half the courts and half of congress weren't intent on redefining my reluctance to do something immoral into a violation of other people's freedoms like you just did.

The ACLU is made up of some very ignorant people. The Hyde amendment exempts religious hospitals from performing abortions and has since the 70s. This lawsuit might be a blessing in disguise for the church, because Catholic hospitals on the ground do not follow their own directives. The ACLU cannot argue against directive 47.

47. Operations, treatments, and medications that have as their direct purpose the cure of a
proportionately serious pathological condition of a pregnant woman are permitted when they
cannot be safely postponed until the unborn child is viable, even if they will result in the death of
the unborn child

In the Phoenix case, the hospital refused to consult the National Catholic Bio-ethics center. In the Michigan case, the woman's life was not in danger. She wanted an abortion on demand. Choice is a two-way street. The doctor has a choice not to perform an abortion.

Savvy,

I don't think the point of contention is a refusal to perform an abortion.  I think it's a refusal to lay out abortion as a possible treatment option, even if that treatment were performed elsewhere:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/02/us-usa-abortion-michigan-lawsuit-idUSBRE9B10X820131202?

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/another-evil-attack-on-the-church-and-religious-freedom-in-these-usa/

Despite her being in excruciating pain and with virtually no chance her pregnancy could survive, Mercy Health Partners told Means there was nothing it could do and did not tell Means that terminating her pregnancy was an option and the safest course for her condition, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit accuses the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops of creating health care directives “that cause pregnant women who are suffering from a miscarriage to be denied appropriate medical care, including information about their condition and treatment options.”

So I'm not sure to what extent the hyde ammendment plays a role in this case, but I could be wrong.

But that again doesn't necessarily support a finding of negligence, especially sice this is like what, one sixth of hospitals we are talking about? And it's not as if abortion is an uncontroversial form of treatment, so the shocks the conscience of the layman standard won't work.

Like I said, I don't thing the ACLU cares if it wins the case or not. They just want to stir up anti-Catholic prejudice among our Protestant neighbors. Divide et impera.

I think it's a refusal to lay out abortion as a possible treatment option, even if that treatment were performed elsewhere:

The Hyde amendment, covers conscience protection, so there is no obligation by the health care provider to perform an abortion.

In most cases Catholic hospitals transfer patients to other hospitals. The point is that abortion as a treatment option, is the same as abortion, in this case. So, it's forcing someone to perform an abortion.

This lawsuit will be tossed out. It's the propaganda machine that is more problematic.

The ACLU by itself wouldn't concern me so much if the President, the entire executive branch, half the courts and half of congress weren't intent on redefining my reluctance to do something immoral into a violation of other people's freedoms like you just did.

Talk to mommy, what immoral thing is the mean old executive branch, half of congress and half of the courts trying to make you do? 

the ACLU is like the most annoying kid on the playground who tattles on everyone for stupid **** who then cries and whines when the grown-ups tell him to knock it off.

On the other hand I don't like Catholics whining about persecution. Yes the current culture is quite hostile to our values and is trying to abolish the Church's influence, but Christ didn't tell us to whine about it. I think He said something more about prayer, persistence, and not being surprised/melodramatic, He might of even told us to rejoice when we are persecuted. But I don't remember exactly, He might have been crazy.

In summation: punch the ACLU in the mouth, don't whine at them.

It must be so hard to be a believing Christian in a country where the overwhelming majority of the populations a also composed of believing Christians along with almost the entirety of the political class.