An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's Not Easy Is It?

Anselm

I've been dithering over my vocation for so long now and it really doesn't seem to get easier. I have been accepted by one house but then I keep having niggling thoughts about the other one I was considering, which lives a much more enclosed and traditional life. Also, I've almost come to terms with the idea of celibacy (though I'm sure that that's an ongoing process) but actually one of the biggest things holding me back is the love I have for my teaching career!

Of course there are orders that teach, but a big part of me thinks that that would simply be a distraction from contemplation and that I wouldn't feel content doing so.

I suppose all I can do is pray...

young_and_faithful_

If you have any device where you can download apps there is this one app called "Discerning Hearts" its available in both apple and android. Hope this helps you!

It has many podcasts, books, and resources!

You're in my prayers! Remember our time isn't God's time, everything will fall into place at the perfect moment! :)

I think we talked about this a while ago once, so you know my thoughts (and not just because I'm biased). But yes, all you can do is pray and I will pray for you. 

Although if the niggling voice really won't go away... :P

Whatever you do, give proper notice to the school and don't leave in the middle of the school year and you'll likely have a job waiting for you if you leave and decide to return.

Obviously I don't know everything that is going on with you but here is my advice for what it is worth. You have been accepted to this one house. Obviously there was something there that made you feel like that is where you are called to. I would say go, try the life at the house you have been accepted. It may turn out to be the place that you are meant to be and those doubts will fade away or you will discover that it isn't the place and that little niggling voice persists. Remember in those first weeks and months you are just there to discern more deeply. 

The evil one will try to use anything he can to keep us from our true vocations. Doubts can be good indicators of whether or not we are called somewhere or they can just simply be distractions. Pray about it. I will also be praying for you!

To offer some unsolicited advice though, you seem to have had this niggling for a while. Maybe a visit to the one you're having the niggling feelings about would be a good thing to do - 'test the water' so to speak and see if there is any telling feeling.

I'll stop interfering now and just offer my prayers :P

Praying is essential, of course, but it's not ALL you can do.

See if you can arrange a one-week live-in at the monstery that teaches. If your spring break doesn't overlap with theirs, you'd be able to live with them, sit in on classes just as if you were a teacher or student, pray the liturgy of the Hours with the monks, spend time in the evening reading as if you were grading papers and prepping classes, and so forth.

TASTE and SEE.

PhuturePriest

Remember that the day before Saint Therese was going to take her final vows, the Devil attacked her with unbearable doubts about her vocation. When we are doing what God wants, the Devil tries at all costs to take us away. This may not be the Devil, but it might be, so I recommend that you live in the community for a little while, discuss things with the Superior, and see if it is the Devil or God that is making you feel uneasy.

FP, it's not that I feel tempted to ditch the whole thing, but an uncertainty over houses.

Maximillion - the question is, which pie?!

chicken or apple?  Would make a big difference!  Which is which for you!  

I am presuming you have looked at what the postives and negatives are of each choice...   and asked God what His preference might be.  After that... you just have to make a choice, Anselm. 

I do like the idea of trying to do a week-long stay with each of them, with the intent of following the lifestyle as much as possible to see if you can get a sense of which seems to fit your rhythm and needs better....

Praying for you.

brandelynmarie

FP, it's not that I feel tempted to ditch the whole thing, but an uncertainty over houses.

Maximillion - the question is, which pie?!

Start with the community that accepted you ;)